Sign in to follow this  
JAHS

"Vision 2020" will help the BSA

'Vision 2020' Will Start A New Era For Utah And Boy Scouts Of America

"For the last 106 years, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has chartered troops for the Boy Scouts of America, that is until the church announced that starting in 2020, they will stop chartering the program.
Mark Francis, the relationships director for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints/Boy Scouts of America partnership, explained an event called Vision 2020 will give those with a strong interest in scouting the information they need to continue utilizing the program.
“Vision 2020 is simply one of many tools that were using to try and encourage families to still be involved in scouting," Francis said. "It’s not our only method but it’s one of the primary ones to be able to gather as many people as we can across the country to talk about how we will support and strengthen scouting into the future.”

Doesn't provide much in the way of details for this "Vision" event, but it's good to see that the Church is doing what it can to help those who still want to be involved in scouting.

• Like 2

I don't understand why people would need help to be involved in BSA.  They simply sign up and be involved the way any other person would.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

I don't understand why people would need help to be involved in BSA.  They simply sign up and be involved the way any other person would.  

Possibly transferring credit for stuff done in Church run scouts to the other group?  Maybe some might wonder if there would be hassles over that and therefore be less likely to try.

I think, however, it is more that there is a concern that members will see Boy Scouts as a 'fallen' organization, inappropriate for Saints to belong to (I have known members who saw Girl Scouts as too political or promoting immorality and therefore when the Church didn't have a parallel program for younger girls, did not allow their daughters to join Brownies, etc) and by doing this, the Church leadership clears up that misconception.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

To most members of the church "any other person" in scouting was a member of the church. I assume this Vision event will help the church members get connected with other existing scout troops.
Different scout troops not affiliated with the church might focus on specific things (like Sea Scouts) whereas the church troops did a little of everything. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JAHS said:

To most members of the church "any other person" in scouting was a member of the church. I assume this Vision event will help the church members get connected with other existing scout troops.
Different scout troops not affiliated with the church might focus on specific things (like Sea Scouts) whereas the church troops did a little of everything. 

... this seems very strange and Utah-bubble-ish to me, that they wouldn't even know that other troops exist (like the majority of the organization). 

14 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

... this seems very strange and Utah-bubble-ish to me, that they wouldn't even know that other troops exist (like the majority of the organization). 

You're right. I suppose most Utah members know other troops exist but they might not know where they are or the best way to pick one.
There may not be many other troops in Utah since most of them have been sponsored by the Church.

• Like 1

3 in my area, but if I was the parent, I would be driving and likely none would be from my kids' school.  Pretty much how it was in Kansas.

https://beascout.scouting.org/list/?zip=84664&program%5B%5D=scoutsBSA

I’m fine with helping parents stay connected if they choose but my worry is that our ward has a YM’s President who is very in love with scouts and I worry that he will use Vision2020 as a way to keep the YM doing scout stuff. 

He’s already ignoring the church’s stance and having all three quorums do as much scouting as possible before the year is up, despite the church having pulled out of scouts for those over 13 last year. 

New rules about how Boy Scouts can recruit Latter-day Saints issued by church

SALT LAKE CITY — Beginning June 1, community-based Boy Scout packs and troops may begin recruiting boys from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to guidelines the church released Friday.

The church announced in May that it would implement a new worldwide initiative for children and youth beginning in January 2020 and discontinue its centurylong association with the Boy Scouts of America. No church units will sponsor any Scouting units after Dec. 31.

The faith's Priesthood and Family Department sent a list of four new instructions for the transition to general and local church leaders around the world.

First, boys are encouraged to remain in their Latter-day-Saint-sponsored Scouting unit through Dec. 31.

Second, BSA volunteers may provide a church-approved flyer for recruiting Latter-day Saints boys to their packs and troops beginning on June 1. The flyers must be provided to bishops and branch presidents, who will direct them to be posted on bulletin boards in church meetinghouses from June 1 through Dec. 31.

Those flyers are not to include images that identify the church or quotes from church leaders.

Third, BSA recruiting of church members should be done directly with families and not in church meetinghouses.

"Bishops and others should not provide BSA with member information," the notice said.

Finally, youth registered in Scouting through church-sponsored units who choose to join a community Scouting unit before Dec. 31 will be registered in both units through that date.

Last month, the church issued a frequently-asked-questions document on the transition with a number of other guidelines.

It instructed local church leaders not to recruit adults or youth for Scouting or distribute materials to those interested in remaining in Scouts.

It also said church buildings or grounds will be off limits to Scout meetings or activities after Dec. 31.

However, the documents say the church intends its leaders and members to stay fully engaged in Scouting through Dec. 31. Camps, high adventure activities and other outdoor activities may continue at the discretion of local priesthood leaders.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this