SettingDogStar

Mission Length Change (A Conference Rumor thread)

On 4/8/2019 at 8:32 AM, alter idem said:

Nevermind, just read your retraction above.

I posted on another thread about this rumor.  It seemed to really be fueled by a lot of well-intenioned people who 'thought' it was true.  On another thread I even read that some prospective missionaries were waiting to put in their calls and their Bishop's were supportive, I assume because they thought it was true and wanted to come in under the new guidelines??  They really must have believed those rumors!

Anyway, speculating can be fun and harmless, but when it starts affecting decisions, I think it's gone too far.

You may have been referring to my post, however the bishop wasn't supportive because of the rumor - I was supportive because he is a young senior (he won't be 18 till July) and there is a rush getting them all off right after school and I think by waiting and avoiding that rush is not a bad thing.

Anyway, at the end he really started to get anxious about getting them in. Little delays happened, but last night the stake president submitted them 

On 4/8/2019 at 8:45 AM, bluebell said:

Senior missionaries have much more say in where they go, and if they can't afford specific missions, they won't be called there.  There are plenty of opportunities close to home that don't cost nearly as much.  If the monthly expense of their mission was going to be a hardship, your family members could have easily chosen to serve somewhere else.

There is no reason to lay this at the feet of the church.

Yes, so much flexibility in it. I know when my in-laws went they put on their papers what they could afford. I haven't asked my parents if that was the same for them or not, but when my parents were ready to go my mom started having TIAs. Instead of going elsewhere they continued to live at home and served in the family history center in Salt Lake just like other couples who came from all over and served their missions.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2019 at 7:35 PM, SettingDogStar said:

I would totally agree with that. Especially if they offered options to choose when they wanted to come home. Of course that could cause some issues with others judging those who chose to only do an 18 month mission, though I think this would pass eventually. I would love if there was legitimate local options for serving full-time missions but being nearby to family and supportive friends. 

I don't know if anyone agrees but I always feel like many people look down on those that serve service missions and less then actual missionaries, which is not really true. If the Church could combine service/full-time/mini-missions into one cohesive mission program and make them all legitimate and truly fulfilling options that would be amazing.

Oh and heavily revising the "white bible" as well, but that's a whole other discussion haha

IMO that will bring issues with commitment. if you commit to serve 24 month, unless there is a health issue, you should stay for 24 month.

an option could be to offer how much time you are willing to serve, being 12 month the minimun and 24 the max, what you think?

Selim,

You need to look at dates when you post in threads.  This thread is six months old. ;) Oh, and by the way, welcome to the Board! :D

Any new rumors?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Calm said:

Any new rumors?

I heard about another rumor about most Stake auxiliaries being streamlined or removed but with the new youth program they may be needed more (except Sunday School).

A curtailment of chapel building and renovations due to two hour block and making four or five wards in a chapel the norm. This would probably not be announced though.

A lot of rumors about changes to missions (many of them contradictory) due to significant increase in rate of missionaries going home. Most common one is shortening mission but I really do not see how that would help. Missionaries who come home rarely come home after 18 months out. One rumor I have heard I like is mandatory missionary training before you go out. It exists in many stakes and wards but is not required.

Garments only being required wearing in temples has circulated again due to problems with heat in some areas of the world.

Word of Wisdom clarifications are bandied about as always. I would not be surprised by a talk on physical wellness in general talking about dangers of obesity, excessive consumption of energy drinks, and stuff like that. Probably in the context of the body being a temple.

I have been hearing rumors of a portable temple setup. The rumor I heard back in the 90s is back about a plane that can be used as a temple that can fly to an area without a temple and stay for a while and then do a rotation (I really doubt this one). The Stake centers doubling as temples thing is circulating again.

Again, mostly stuff I have heard and I consider most of them unlikely.

• Like 3

Phase out release-time seminary?

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Apparently there is a stake near Sacramento that is doing early morning seminary 3 days a week.  That's a change I could get behind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

A lot of rumors about changes to missions (many of them contradictory) due to significant increase in rate of missionaries going home. Most common one is shortening mission but I really do not see how that would help. Missionaries who come home rarely come home after 18 months out. One rumor I have heard I like is mandatory missionary training before you go out. It exists in many stakes and wards but is not required.

My daughter is on a mission right now, and apparently the Elders just go nuts with expectations of a change to 18 month missions before each conference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I heard about another rumor about most Stake auxiliaries being streamlined or removed but with the new youth program they may be needed more (except Sunday School).

A curtailment of chapel building and renovations due to two hour block and making four or five wards in a chapel the norm. This would probably not be announced though.

Garments only being required wearing in temples has circulated again due to problems with heat in some areas of the world.

Word of Wisdom clarifications are bandied about as always. I would not be surprised by a talk on physical wellness in general talking about dangers of obesity, excessive consumption of energy drinks, and stuff like that. Probably in the context of the body being a temple.

I have been hearing rumors of a portable temple setup. The rumor I heard back in the 90s is back about a plane that can be used as a temple that can fly to an area without a temple and stay for a while and then do a rotation (I really doubt this one). The Stake centers doubling as temples thing is circulating again.

Again, mostly stuff I have heard and I consider most of them unlikely.

I always liked the cruise ship temple idea. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

I thought it was coming but they have started integrating it with “Come Follow Me” so makes me think they are not planning on changing it. Still could of course. Not definitive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cinepro said:

My daughter is on a mission right now, and apparently the Elders just go nuts with expectations of a change to 18 month missions before each conference.

Amateurs. I was expecting the Second Coming before I went home.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cinepro said:

Apparently there is a stake near Sacramento that is doing early morning seminary 3 days a week.  That's a change I could get behind.

Our stake has been given the go-ahead to phase out early-morning seminary altogether and replace it with online seminary. We already have an online class/teacher and about 20 students, and it's working very well. The 'phase-in' part is because we expect some families to resist this move, which is fine as long as they then volunteer to be the early-morning teachers in their wards. I'm excited about this!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Amateurs. I was expecting the Second Coming before I went home.

Yes, but no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cinepro said:

As a mom sending out her son in one week I can totally get on board with this. Such a bittersweet time for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Our stake has been given the go-ahead to phase out early-morning seminary altogether and replace it with online seminary. We already have an online class/teacher and about 20 students, and it's working very well. The 'phase-in' part is because we expect some families to resist this move, which is fine as long as they then volunteer to be the early-morning teachers in their wards. I'm excited about this!

Is this an everyday online class? 

Is the class at a specific time?

Or can someone just take it whenever?

5 minutes ago, provoman said:

Is this an everyday online class?

Yes, you can read more about it here.

Is the class at a specific time?

Or can someone just take it whenever?

The teacher has control of that. Units can be opened for a few hours or a few days. Currently, our teacher opens them for two days to give reasonable flexibility.* One day per week, there is to be a face-to-face class, however, which can be in person or online. Ours is online.

-----

* I have elsewhere described some of the difficulties we have with early-morning seminary:

'Where I live now, we have close to a dozen high schools in each ward because, unlike what I've seen in America, we prefer many small schools instead of fewer large ones. Not all of these schools even start at the same time. In addition, compulsory education ends after year 10. At that point, the law requires young people to (a) go to work, (b) enrol in an apprenticeship for a trade, or (c) continue their formal schooling at a secondary college (years 11 and 12). These latter are separate to our high schools and often have a come-and-go approach to the school day. A 15-year-old who has finished high school and is working might work the evening shift as a shop assistant in a supermarket and therefore not get home till after midnight. Another youth of the same age in the same ward might begin his or her apprenticeship in carpentry on a construction site each morning at 6:30am. Another youth of the same age in the same ward might attend a college that expects students to begin each day at 9am. Another youth of the same age in the same ward might attend a college where his or her classes are scattered throughout the day, with the earliest one at 10:30am on Tuesdays and Thursdays, at 9:30am on Mondays and Wednesdays and at noon on Fridays'.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rain said:

As a mom sending out her son in one week I can totally get on board with this. Such a bittersweet time for me.

❤️ where to? not a specific mission but country?

11 hours ago, Rain said:

We sent out 4 sons. Sister Gui sighed a breath of relief after each one. When asked if she was sad they were gone she would laugh. They were where they should be. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I think this will be the wave of the future. Because of full-time employee issues, I think it will be implemented slowly in areas that have release-time.

I like the format of the old Australian Distance Schools....daily classes on the radio (on-line) with periodic physical get-togethers with all students and teachers. On-line seminary classes with maybe a bi-monthly meeting in the church building. And not duplicate the YM/YW/SS curriculum?

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

❤️ where to? not a specific mission but country?

The US. 

When we went to the UK in June while he was waiting for his call we kept telling him it might be there, but no go.  He got the text notification that his call had arrived by email when we had a layover on the way home.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

We sent out 4 sons. Sister Gui sighed a breath of relief after each one. When asked if she was sad they were gone she would laugh. 

There is a lot going on here. I will miss him dearly.

By the way I do plan on answering your question in another thread from a week or so ago, but I will need to read back through some things and am choosing to do less of that until he leaves. No promises as emotionally it is all taking a toll on me.

57 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

We sent out 4 sons. Sister Gui sighed a breath of relief after each one. When asked if she was sad they were gone she would laugh. 

I will not have the experience of kids serving missions.  I’m fine with their choices, but will likely sponsor a young man in our ward whom I love and who comes from a very large family.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rain said:

There is a lot going on here. I will miss him dearly.

By the way I do plan on answering your question in another thread from a week or so ago, but I will need to read back through some things and am choosing to do less of that until he leaves. No promises as emotionally it is all taking a toll on me.

We were elated that they were going off on this grand adventure to serve the Lord. They were in His care, doing His errand. Joy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I will not have the experience of kids serving missions.  I’m fine with their choices, but will likely sponsor a young man in our ward whom I love and who comes from a very large family.  

We have two who chose different paths. Some of their choices weren’t so great, but we all have learned much.

Helping others serve is very rewarding and commendable. 

2 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

We were elated that they were going off on this grand adventure to serve the Lord. They were in His care, doing His errand. Joy.  

I thought I would be as well.  I have no doubts about him going or trusting the Lord with him. He is quite young, having barely turned 18 in July, but I feel comfortable that he is ready.  I've also raised my children to be independent and look forward to being empty nesters when both he and his sister moves out.

Still, it hit me a couple of weeks ago that this boundless bundle of energy and joy who sometimes drives me a little crazy will be out of my daily life and right now  he is a balm to my soul.

• Like 2