Seriously No Politics ×

Mission Length Change (A Conference Rumor thread)

48 minutes ago, churchistrue said:

Mission calls always state the mission term length. Or at least always have in the past. I've heard this rumor dozens of times now, but I've yet to see a screenshot, and it's always a friend's nephew or something that has received the call. 

I'm sorry that I don't have proof; I wish I did! Unfortunately, my roommate and I attend BYU-Hawaii, but her boyfriend lives in California, so we just Facetimed him and listened to him read the mission call. We didn't get to see it for ourselves.

2 hours ago, churchistrue said:

Mission calls always state the mission term length. Or at least always have in the past. I've heard this rumor dozens of times now, but I've yet to see a screenshot, and it's always a friend's nephew or something that has received the call. 

My BIL & SIL on my husband's side got their mission call tonight, a senior mission to Australia for 18 months, was stated in their call. 

5 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My BIL & SIL on my husband's side got their mission call tonight, a senior mission to Australia for 18 months, was stated in their call. 

Whelp, there it is.

14th article:  We believe that there are rumors, have been rumors, and always will be rumors according to the kingdom of heaven.  And some of those rumors will prove true. Now how about that coffee? ;)

2 hours ago, Lehi's Wife said:

I'm sorry that I don't have proof; I wish I did! Unfortunately, my roommate and I attend BYU-Hawaii, but her boyfriend lives in California, so we just Facetimed him and listened to him read the mission call. We didn't get to see it for ourselves.

A letter could be easily forged, so even a picture isn't real proof.  :)

Technology makes spoofing/pranks both way too easy and too fun at times.

PS:  not claiming you are lying, just making an observation so you don't feel like you should have done more.  I don't think it can truly be proved until an official statement is made.

Edited by Calm

I’m a big fan of the idea of being able to choose your mission length to some extent. The one size fits all approach in the mission field is pretty detrimental to so many missionaries IMO. 

I completed a 24 month mission but I would say I “served” an 18 month mission. By 18 months I was just worn out, I had reached my max. I was mentally and emotionally exhausted. I almost talked to my mission president about going home but I figured I was so close to the end and that 6 months of torture would be worth it to avoid all of the shame in returning home early. 

It would be a relief for missionaries who struggle with mental illness in particular to be able to customize their mission as much as possible to avoid situations like that. 

Speculation of this type is terribly disruptive to the work of current missionaries who are now, all over the world, wondering when they will be going home.  It is not just idle speculation to them, it is deadly serious, life-impacting.  But most of all, it is very damaging to their work.   They are all looking forward to Saturday and will not settle down until it has come and gone.

12 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Whelp, there it is.

14th article:  We believe that there are rumors, have been rumors, and always will be rumors according to the kingdom of heaven.  And some of those rumors will prove true. Now how about that coffee? ;)

And if my info is right they will be spending 3,100 a month to do that service. Times 18 is over 55,000 dollars! How do our seniors do it, it boggles my mind! I think the church should rethink this cost to them. They should really put that amount as the same as the younger missionaries. It really puts these couples in a bind, I've read many stories concerning this. Also, the church has long been urging these seniors to go do missionary work over being home around their kids/grandkids because of the example, I guess. And some of these missionary ops sound like employment! I have a bad taste in my mouth on this. I hope the church will lessen their purse strings on this. 

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/callings/missionary/senior-missionary/senior-missionary-opportunities.pdf?lang=eng

Edited by Tacenda
13 hours ago, Calm said:

A letter could be easily forged, so even a picture isn't real proof.  :)

Technology makes spoofing/pranks both way too easy and too fun at times.

PS:  not claiming you are lying, just making an observation so you don't feel like you should have done more.  I don't think it can truly be proved until an official statement is made.

Very true! We'll just have to wait until this weekend to see what will come of all the mission rumors.

My roommate and I joked that they'll be instating a mission draft. 😅

1 hour ago, Lehi's Wife said:

Very true! We'll just have to wait until this weekend to see what will come of all the mission rumors.

My roommate and I joked that they'll be instating a mission draft. 😅

Some it only applies to service missions. Some say it applies to all.

What is interesting is that this rumor is discussed quite a bit in a ex LDS forum, and not one person who claimed it is true could or would provide proof it is true.

It could be true, the evidence is lacking though.

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

And if my info is right they will be spending 3,100 a month to do that service. 

You need to subtract their expenses they won't be paying that they would be on their own if not on a mission to  estimate actual cost (food, car insurance assuming they let that sit, etc.)  Not saying it isn't significant for many, just honestly don't see it as that much for two people (maybe because I am paying my mom's bills now).

Edited by Calm
20 hours ago, Lehi's Wife said:

My roommate's boyfriend opened his mission call 40 minutes ago or so. Mexico City, Mexico, Spanish-speaking. But, interestingly, it didn't specify how long he would be serving.

I've preached false doctrine.

I sincerely thought I was telling the truth about the mission call, but this morning my roommate found out that there was a misunderstanding. (Her boyfriend, it should be said, is a bit of an idiot.) His mission call did, in fact, specify that he would be serving 24 months. We're quite disappointed that we didn't actually witness any exclusive indication of upcoming changes.

I apologize. It definitely was not my intention to contribute to any rumor-spreading.

Just now, Lehi's Wife said:

I've preached false doctrine.

I sincerely thought I was telling the truth about the mission call, but this morning my roommate found out that there was a misunderstanding. (Her boyfriend, it should be said, is a bit of an idiot.) His mission call did, in fact, specify that he would be serving 24 months. We're quite disappointed that we didn't actually witness any exclusive indication of upcoming changes.

I apologize. It definitely was not my intention to contribute to any rumor-spreading.

I believe your intentions.  And it is honorable of you to come back and acknowledge the error and that you were misled.  Thank you.

On 4/2/2019 at 8:40 PM, Lehi's Wife said:

My roommate's boyfriend opened his mission call 40 minutes ago or so. Mexico City, Mexico, Spanish-speaking. But, interestingly, it didn't specify how long he would be serving.

I've been seeing a lot of stories like this but I have a hard time believing because I haven't seen any pictures and the only I did see was an clerical error on behalf of CoB. 

I heard one rumor and one wonder in the past week.

Rumor: The minimum age for sister missionaries will be dropped to 18.

Wonder: Will the word of wisdom be returned to being...well...a word of wisdom, instead of a commandment?

14 hours ago, Thinking said:

I heard one rumor and one wonder in the past week.

Rumor: The minimum age for sister missionaries will be dropped to 18.

Wonder: Will the word of wisdom be returned to being...well...a word of wisdom, instead of a commandment?

I heard a rumor yesterday about your "wonder". From my mom, who heard it from my cousin, who is married to a man whose father works with the GAs. So 4 times removed. Hah!!!

2 hours ago, filovirus said:

I heard a rumor yesterday about your "wonder". From my mom, who heard it from my cousin, who is married to a man whose father works with the GAs. So 4 times removed. Hah!!!

I wonder if the wonder is more of a wish than a wonder.

3 hours ago, ERMD said:

I'm still holding out for wine to be dropped from the WoW.

Or at least make it so men can drink it too...

5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

On 4/2/2019 at 6:40 PM, Lehi's Wife said:

Nevermind, just read your retraction above.

I posted on another thread about this rumor.  It seemed to really be fueled by a lot of well-intenioned people who 'thought' it was true.  On another thread I even read that some prospective missionaries were waiting to put in their calls and their Bishop's were supportive, I assume because they thought it was true and wanted to come in under the new guidelines??  They really must have believed those rumors!

Anyway, speculating can be fun and harmless, but when it starts affecting decisions, I think it's gone too far.

Edited by alter idem
  • 1 month later...