SettingDogStar

Mission Length Change (A Conference Rumor thread)

16 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I guess they need to read them to be prepared to answer them in the mission field. I guess it will take some time for the truth to become the normal. 

I appreciate however that they now have a lot more essays. They released I think like 5 on my mission, and they weren't very informational. I learned a lot about our churches history on my mission though by grabbing the JoD off the church libraries shelves, books members would give me, and random anti-pamphlets (not that I believed everything they said, but they did get me to research). Funnily enough I never found anything that shocked me in anyway. I don't know if it's cause my testimony is strong (I honestly don't think that's it though haha) or if I kinda wanted our history to be a little odd. 

The essays the church is releasing are awesome and I hope pre-missionaries really read them previous to their mission and know the basic references, it really helps in the field.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

I appreciate however that they now have a lot more essays. They released I think like 5 on my mission, and they weren't very informational. I learned a lot about our churches history on my mission though by grabbing the JoD off the church libraries shelves, books members would give me, and random anti-pamphlets (not that I believed everything they said, but they did get me to research). Funnily enough I never found anything that shocked me in anyway. I don't know if it's cause my testimony is strong (I honestly don't think that's it though haha) or if I kinda wanted our history to be a little odd. 

The essays the church is releasing are awesome and I hope pre-missionaries really read them previous to their mission and know the basic references, it really helps in the field.

I think the youth or the young adults probably won't take it as hard as the old timers like myself that didn't research history early on. It took a crisis of fatih in the church to do the research. I just plain loved the social aspect and the service ops that it prompted me to do, through callings and assignments. Good for you to not let it bother you but make you stronger. :)

Edited by Tacenda

On 3/15/2019 at 3:40 PM, clarkgoble said:

I was in Louisiana '87 - '89 and when I got out there were still some 18 mo folks. We were in a baptizing peak then. However the problem was that it usually took quite a few months to really figure out what was going on. Likewise non-English speaking often just got the language down sufficient then had only a few months of effective work. In places like Europe where baptisms were rare this wasn't as big of an effect. In other places though it had more of an effect. That's likely why the rate drops only slightly due to the bias of low baptizing missions.

What I suspect they might do is allow more short term missions. However much like the drop to 18 year olds going on missions I think this will have a negative effect on baptisms. Now again, to anticipate objections, that doesn't mean it is the wrong thing to do in the least. Missions have many functions and consequences besides conversions of others.

Clearly one of the many purposes is converting the missionary.