Sign in to follow this  
SettingDogStar

Mission Length Change (A Conference Rumor thread)

16 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I guess they need to read them to be prepared to answer them in the mission field. I guess it will take some time for the truth to become the normal. 

I appreciate however that they now have a lot more essays. They released I think like 5 on my mission, and they weren't very informational. I learned a lot about our churches history on my mission though by grabbing the JoD off the church libraries shelves, books members would give me, and random anti-pamphlets (not that I believed everything they said, but they did get me to research). Funnily enough I never found anything that shocked me in anyway. I don't know if it's cause my testimony is strong (I honestly don't think that's it though haha) or if I kinda wanted our history to be a little odd. 

The essays the church is releasing are awesome and I hope pre-missionaries really read them previous to their mission and know the basic references, it really helps in the field.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

I appreciate however that they now have a lot more essays. They released I think like 5 on my mission, and they weren't very informational. I learned a lot about our churches history on my mission though by grabbing the JoD off the church libraries shelves, books members would give me, and random anti-pamphlets (not that I believed everything they said, but they did get me to research). Funnily enough I never found anything that shocked me in anyway. I don't know if it's cause my testimony is strong (I honestly don't think that's it though haha) or if I kinda wanted our history to be a little odd. 

The essays the church is releasing are awesome and I hope pre-missionaries really read them previous to their mission and know the basic references, it really helps in the field.

I think the youth or the young adults probably won't take it as hard as the old timers like myself that didn't research history early on. It took a crisis of fatih in the church to do the research. I just plain loved the social aspect and the service ops that it prompted me to do, through callings and assignments. Good for you to not let it bother you but make you stronger. :)

Edited by Tacenda

On 3/15/2019 at 3:40 PM, clarkgoble said:

I was in Louisiana '87 - '89 and when I got out there were still some 18 mo folks. We were in a baptizing peak then. However the problem was that it usually took quite a few months to really figure out what was going on. Likewise non-English speaking often just got the language down sufficient then had only a few months of effective work. In places like Europe where baptisms were rare this wasn't as big of an effect. In other places though it had more of an effect. That's likely why the rate drops only slightly due to the bias of low baptizing missions.

What I suspect they might do is allow more short term missions. However much like the drop to 18 year olds going on missions I think this will have a negative effect on baptisms. Now again, to anticipate objections, that doesn't mean it is the wrong thing to do in the least. Missions have many functions and consequences besides conversions of others.

Clearly one of the many purposes is converting the missionary.

• Like 2

If there is going to be a change, it will likely be sisters will serve 24 months.

32 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

If there is going to be a change, it will likely be sisters will serve 24 months.

The rumor I heard was a choice between 1 yr. , 1-1/2 yrs, or 2 years.

4 hours ago, 2BizE said:

I think the problem is that with the increase in the number of sister missionaries, that would take a big chunk of the marriagable-age sisters out of the dating pool. 

Unless adding six months could be shown to increase the likelihood of a missionary staying faithful to the Church, the cost in delayed marriages could be much greater than the benefit to the long-term health of the Church.

I could see a 12 month service mission or mission served locally.  This could range from service in a Welfare Unit, to being an ordained Ordinance Worker at a local Temple during that period of a call, to perhaps a combination of duties.  Perhaps called filled time to assist in the work of missionary work and reactivation within a ward or stake. This is easier in Utah and the western US where the Church is built up more and has more opportunities, but I would say there are opportunities all around. I could see a 12 month service call to say Africa helping bring clean water and other needed items to communities there. It will be interesting to see. 

Proselyting missionaries. I converted at age 18 in 1983 (two weeks after turning 18) and served a mission in the south from 1985 to 1987.  My call was for 24 months though most of my MTC group were for 18 months and they had the option to extend. Most did not. It didn't take us long to get really effective, 5-6 months at most.  None of my 18 month companions were not being effective in the work from say 6 months to 18 months unless they were not converted to the Savior or the work or had personal problems.  Those were farmed out to the small towns of the state we labored in so as not to hurt the work overly.  I think the key to remember is the personal conversion through spiritual experiences that a mission offers to the missionary serving. If they engage in gospel study, prayer, revelation and the work, they find that they have experiences that strengthen their faith in Christ.  Conversions are great, but the conversion of the missionary I would argue is the key here. My mission reinforced that for me 32 years after I came home. It deepened the personal conversion I had with the Savior through a variety of spiritual experiences.  They have been a foundation to my continued journey in my relationship with the Savior as I strive to return to our Father.  That is the key to either a service mission or a proselyting mission, spiritual experiences that deepen the faith of the missionary. So be it 12 for a service, 18 or 24 for a proselyting the key isn't the time, it is the spiritual experiences that deep personal conversion to Christ and our Father. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Buckeye said:

My son just got his mission call. Standard 24-month assignment. California Los Angeles Spanish speaking. He’s very excited  

As to the present topic, once his papers were submitted the rumors started pouring in from friends that “I heard the calls don’t list a length of service but say to listen to conference.” I told him to ignore the rumors but was surprised has wide-spread they were. These things take a life of their own. 

Do they ever!

The rumor about the Procter & Gamble logo being a Satanic symbol was still circulating long after the Amway distributor was successfully sued for spreading it. And the rumor about Madeline Murray O’Hair trying to get religious broadcasting banned from the airwaves was still circulating long after she had died. 

We as Church members seem to have our own sub-genre of urban legends. Maybe we need our own version of Snopes.com

Edited by Scott Lloyd

6 hours ago, cinepro said:

I think the problem is that with the increase in the number of sister missionaries, that would take a big chunk of the marriagable-age sisters out of the dating pool. 

Unless adding six months could be shown to increase the likelihood of a missionary staying faithful to the Church, the cost in delayed marriages could be much greater than the benefit to the long-term health of the Church.

For many years, that was often given as the reason for making young women wait until age 21 before they could serve missions. That doesn’t seem to be an important consideration anymore, if it ever was. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Do they ever!

The rumor about the Procter & Gamble logo being a Satanic symbol was still circulating long after the Amway distributor was successfully sued for spreading it. And the rumor about Madeline Murray O’Hair trying to get religious broadcasting banned from the airwaves was still circulating long after she had died. 

We as Church members seem to have our own sub-genre of urban legends. Maybe we need our own version of Snopes.com

There was a website iirc for awhile that posted about Mormon folk myths (urban legends).  I am trying to remember phrasing well enough to search for it.  Last couple of times I visited if my memory is accurate about what was on the site, I remember noticing it wasn't being updated, so it may be defunct.

I think I am thinking of an older site, but this works:

http://holyfetch.com/

FairMormon has a few:

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Mormon_urban_legends_or_folklore

This is what I was thinking of:

http://www.shields-research.org/Hoaxes/Hoaxes.htm

Edited by Calm

I have read a call letter sent to a female applicant. The letter indicated service would be 24 months --- HOWEVER the twitter feed from which the picture was originally posted indicated the lentgh of services was an clerical typo that was confirmed as such by Church HQ.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Buckeye said:

My son just got his mission call. Standard 24-month assignment. California Los Angeles Spanish speaking. He’s very excited  

As to the present topic, once his papers were submitted the rumors started pouring in from friends that “I heard the calls don’t list a length of service but say to listen to conference.” I told him to ignore the rumors but was surprised has wide-spread they were. These things take a life of their own. 

My younger brother went to that mission. He loved it!

I had a 20 month mission.  I was actually called for 18 months in 1984 but after receiving my call and before going into the MTC they changed the policy back to 2 years.  We had the option to do either.  I ended up making it 20 months so I could get back in time for the start of a BYU semester.

Having a hard time getting excited over a potential announcement like this. Much ado about nothing.

On 3/31/2019 at 2:50 PM, 2BizE said:

My personal opinion:  An increase for sisters to 24 months won't happen.  In the current environment there is no way they are going to ask anyone to serve longer.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:24 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

For many years, that was often given as the reason for making young women wait until age 21 before they could serve missions. That doesn’t seem to be an important consideration anymore, if it ever was. 

But that would also be related to the number of young adults who are leaving before mission age.  If enough young women were leaving the Church before they turned 21 or got married, then lowering the age could serve an overall benefit by increasing the number of RM sisters aged 20.5 (and more likely to stay faithful and get married) as opposed to more non-RM (but more likely to leave) sisters age 19-20.5 in the dating pool.

10 hours ago, CMZ said:

Having a hard time getting excited over a potential announcement like this. Much ado about nothing.

Since excitement is not the primary purpose I think this is okay.

18 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Since excitement is not the primary purpose I think this is okay.

Ha! My excitement has nothing to do with it, and I fully acknowledge it. It just seems weird to me that people are talking about HYPE for April conference and one of the main things people seem to be excited about is that "mission lengths might change!!!" So, it's not that I'm excited or not by it; I'm  just wondering why others are. That doesn't mean people can't be excited about the possibility or that, if they are, that they should dampen their enthusiasm merely because of my being perplexed over it.

Just now, CMZ said:

Ha! My excitement has nothing to do with it, and I fully acknowledge it. It just seems weird to me that people are talking about HYPE for April conference and one of the main things people seem to be excited about is that "mission lengths might change!!!" So, it's not that I'm excited or not by it; I'm  just wondering why others are. That doesn't mean people can't be excited about the possibility or that, if they are, that they should dampen their enthusiasm merely because of my being perplexed over it.

I think it will be more interesting to those about to serve or those who have friends or siblings or children or whatever about to serve.

I am hoping for a surprise session from Adam-ondi-Ahman.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am hoping for a surprise session from Adam-ondi-Ahman.

That's more along the lines of something I would get excited about. The whole thing's weird because some people say we shouldn't hope for anything or get excited about anything or conjecture about anything. But then President Nelson tells us things are going to get exciting.

My roommate's boyfriend opened his mission call 40 minutes ago or so. Mexico City, Mexico, Spanish-speaking. But, interestingly, it didn't specify how long he would be serving.

3 minutes ago, Lehi's Wife said:

My roommate's boyfriend opened his mission call 40 minutes ago or so. Mexico City, Mexico, Spanish-speaking. But, interestingly, it didn't specify how long he would be serving.

Do the standard ones specify usually?  Or is it assumed all are 24 months for men and 18 for women?

11 minutes ago, Calm said:

Do the standard ones specify usually?  Or is it assumed all are 24 months for men and 18 for women?

IIRC, it's supposed to specify. My roommate and her sister also remarked on the fact that it didn't mention how long he would be serving.

14 minutes ago, Calm said:

Sorry, double-posting is probably poor etiquette, but I just searched "lds mission call" on Google Images, and all the mission calls I looked at specified how long the missionary would be serving.