Seriously No Politics ×

Any of you live in Hawaii?

poptart

50 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Save your sheckels, it can be expensive to live there.

I'm always savin my shekels.  What gets me is property on the outer islands is very much comperable to CO and a lot of places here now that have ok wages.  Mom grew up there, I was born there and all my first cousins are there too, also no kids so I save a ton.  Helps that a few of em have more than enough native to live on some of the land. 

Looking at places to move once i'm done with school that won't explode population wise.  Denver is about as bad as Seattle is price wise.  Taxes are going up, people keep moving here so big suprise wages aren't going up.  It irritates me, CO used to be a good place to be single, now we have a ton of California people here taking advantage of the lower taxes and safer schools, meanwhile they brought their culture with em and now we're turning into a California satelite.  At least Hawaii is seperated by a lot of water so it's not going to be build up anytime soon. 

16 hours ago, poptart said:

At least Hawaii is seperated by a lot of water so it's not going to be build up anytime soon. 

I don’t know- I was in beautiful Kauai last year and the traffic was so bad.  Construction was the culprit.  Lots of new housing going up.

4 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I don’t know- I was in beautiful Kauai last year and the traffic was so bad.  Construction was the culprit.  Lots of new housing going up.

Traffic's always been bad, how much worse is it now?  I'd be curious as to who the buyers are, one of my brothers could quite easily buy something there and retire early if he wanted.  I know here property is going up in WY and other isolated places, it's mostly wealthy people buying em.  They're also buying up homes in Nebraska too, buddy of mines cabin is out there, like WY lots of natural resources. 

Thing with me is moms side has more than a few cousins with more than enough native in em to have land supposedly others can't buy unless they have enough Hawaiian in them.  Funny, an LDS friend of mine has a few friends who went off grid a few years ago, they're someplace in the middle of ID now, I suspect people who can are now buying up land where the population is low, taxes are reasonable and living off grid is an option, even in AK for a while construction was booming, for AK anyway.

My late wife and I visited Oahu back in 2012 and we really liked it.  It was a pretty inexpensive week, since one of our sons had moved there and so we just stayed with them, on the North Shore -- in fact just a couple of miles away from Waimea Bay, which I had always held in awe because of its reputation for huge waves.  Not a surfer myself, but I still like watching it being done -- although there were no big waves at the time.  It was December, but the water was still quite warm and lovely to swim in.

No more inexpensive vacation there, unfortunately. Our son has moved back to the mainland. 😞 

2 hours ago, cdowis said:

A more interesting question is -->> have any of you died in Hawaii? 
Tell us about it.

I might like to die in Hawaii!  Does that count?

On 3/18/2019 at 11:42 PM, Stargazer said:

My late wife and I visited Oahu back in 2012 and we really liked it.  It was a pretty inexpensive week, since one of our sons had moved there and so we just stayed with them, on the North Shore -- in fact just a couple of miles away from Waimea Bay, which I had always held in awe because of its reputation for huge waves.  Not a surfer myself, but I still like watching it being done -- although there were no big waves at the time.  It was December, but the water was still quite warm and lovely to swim in.

No more inexpensive vacation there, unfortunately. Our son has moved back to the mainland. 😞 

I've been looking at hilo lately, shame it rains so much, at least it's pretty and affordable.  It's really country there, still looks like the place mom grew up at in Maui.

11 hours ago, cdowis said:

A more interesting question is -->> have any of you died in Hawaii? 
Tell us about it.

Pretty much all the family that really ever cared about me (besides mom) is buried in Oahu.  Grandma and Autie are buried at Daimondhead. 

9 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I died and went to heaven in Kauai, does that count? 

Asked mom about Kauai, big suprise it's being developed so fast, it's gorgeous. 

8 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I might like to die in Hawaii!  Does that count?

That's actually my plan.  Had that discussion with mom, she's getting up there and at the very least wants to be buried there, i'm very much considering the same. 

2 minutes ago, poptart said:

I've been looking at hilo lately, shame it rains so much, at least it's pretty and affordable.  It's really country there, still looks like the place mom grew up at in Maui.

Pretty much all the family that really ever cared about me (besides mom) is buried in Oahu.  Grandma and Autie are buried at Daimondhead. 

Asked mom about Kauai, big suprise it's being developed so fast, it's gorgeous. 

That's actually my plan.  Had that discussion with mom, she's getting up there and at the very least wants to be buried there, i'm very much considering the same. 

This sounds heavenly. You do know that the happiest people live in Hawaii right? If I didn't have family here in Utah and a husband that works here, I'd go in two seconds flat! 

I can live through you if you go and keep in touch hopefully! :)

Uhhh, Samoa might have something to say about that.  Mom went to school at BYUH, think she may have even worked at PCC.  She was one of the best hula dancers in the state at one time, also a good archer.  Her HS send the hula team all over, even went to Mexico City. 

13 hours ago, poptart said:

I've not been to Hilo, but it always attracted me because it's on the Big Island, where all those lovely active volcanoes sit!