Seriously No Politics ×

Rome temple

That would suggest that they view the temple in Rome as a very big deal. Why is that? Is it because it is in the heart of Catholicism? If so, why would that be a particularly big deal? It comes off a little triumphant, but maybe they all just wanted to visit the eternal city together and this was a good excuse ;) 

It appears that the barbarian hordes are at the gates of Rome again :P 

3 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

That would suggest that they view the temple in Rome as a very big deal. Why is that? Is it because it is in the heart of Catholicism? If so, why would that be a particularly big deal? It comes off a little triumphant, but maybe they all just wanted to visit the eternal city together and this was a good excuse ;) 

It appears that the barbarian hordes are at the gates of Rome again :P 

The news article says--

For the first time, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has placed one of its most sacred buildings in a land of the Bible, and to dedicate it this weekend, the entire First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles are assembling outside the United States for what is believed to be the first time in the faith’s 188-year history.

So I don't think it has anything to do with Catholicism.  

10 minutes ago, bluebell said:

For the first time, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has placed one of its most sacred buildings in a land of the Bible,.  

I'm pretty sure LDS scriptures would place the Kansas City temple within the "land of the Bible"...

I can't imagine having real Italian Pizza, I mean Dominoes is great BUT legit Italian Pizza would be worth travelling for, i'd imagine-Although having pizza is probably not high on the Brethren's list of priorities

2 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

I've been to the cathedral in Salt Lake City and the original bishop (when it was built) had the verse about not believing another gospel even if it is preached by an angel painted on the wall. That was a pretty direct rebuke of Mormonism, I thought, in the heart of Mormondom. So, no complaints about a temple in Rome. Any Mormons who pilgrimage to it will get to enjoy the beauties of the Catholic churches of Rome, too :) (hopefully they would go, and I don't say that out of any hope of conversion, but because the churches truly are beautiful)

Although St. Peter's goes without saying, but then it becomes a choice of which one? There are just too many that should be seen for their beauty, artwork, and for the fact they are sacred places.

5 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

I've been to the cathedral in Salt Lake City and the original bishop (when it was built) had the verse about not believing another gospel even if it is preached by an angel painted on the wall. That was a pretty direct rebuke of Mormonism, I thought, in the heart of Mormondom. So, no complaints about a temple in Rome. Any Mormons who pilgrimage to it will get to enjoy the beauties of the Catholic churches of Rome, too :) (hopefully they would go, and I don't say that out of any hope of conversion, but because the churches truly are beautiful)

Hopefully the Leadership can have time to see the Vatican, assuming they can do it and avoid the tourist hordes and groupies..  St' Peter's is one of the wonders of the world, and there are many other historical biblical places to visit as well.

3 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I can't imagine having real Italian Pizza, I mean Dominoes is great BUT legit Italian Pizza would be worth travelling for, i'd imagine-Although having pizza is probably not high on the Brethren's list of priorities

Roman pizza is quite good of course, especially out of a wood fired oven.  But don't overlook Alfredo's, home of Fetuccini Alfredo, so popular here in the US.

4 minutes ago, Duncan said:

100%.  I've been to Italy a couple of times and the pizza is amazing.  I recommend the Apostles visit Pizza Zizza right near the vatican but unfortunately it is very small and unable to accomodate them all at one time

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187791-d7983637-i184776655-Pizza_Zizza_Caffetteria_Birreria_Desserteria-Rome_Lazio.html

3 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

Roman pizza is quite good of course, especially out of a wood fired oven.  But don't overlook Alfredo's, home of Fetuccini Alfredo, so popular here in the US.

Is that Alfredos Pizza Cafe or just Pizza by Alfredo? because according to Kevin from Tv's The Office one is a "hot circle of garbage"🍕

12 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

About the Galations 1 verse: I find that Gal 1 is one of the most LDS Christian faith affirming chapters out there.  It's focus on the superemency of God and how we should listen to Him via revelations first and foremost is beautiful.  

As to the temple in Rome: the temple itself and the excitement really doesn't have anything to do with Catholicism.  Rather, it's exciting because it's a House of the Lord placed in a city that the Apostles Paul and so many others preached in.  The addition of all of the latter-day apostles assembling for the first time outside of the USA is also interesting, but more of a side note for me personally. 

4 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

I wonder if they are reaching out to Pope Francis for a meeting. That would be pretty cool. Are non-members allowed to view the dedication of a temple or is that for temple recommend holders only?

The open house has been going on for several weeks now for everyone.  The first few days were specifically set apart for local religious leaders to tour and ask questions (this is actually standard practice).

The dedication itself is for recommend holders only, as it will then formally be a House of the Lord.  

Edited by Jane_Doe
7 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Is that Alfredos Pizza Cafe or just Pizza by Alfredo? because according to Kevin from Tv's The Office one is a "hot circle of garbage"🍕

Alfredo alla Scrofa  on the street by the same name.

They do it right.  And if you or your wife are there for a birthday for example let them know.  Many other good things on the menu, but go for the fettuccine!

Edited by mrmarklin
2 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

Hopefully the Leadership can have time to see the Vatican, assuming they can do it and avoid the tourist hordes and groupies..  St' Peter's is one of the wonders of the world, and there are many other historical biblical places to visit as well.

I would expect that most of them have already been to the Vatican. They appear to be well traveled and educated more than the typical American. Just sayin

29 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

Have the LDS temple rites been translated into Latin yet?

(The ATM machines in Vatican City have Latin as an option...)

Well, the Church likes to have things in people's native tongue.  Do many Romans raise their babies speaking Latin as their native tongue?