bsjkki

LDS.org and Mormon.org changing names

2 hours ago, Paloma said:

Ha ha, I thought the same when someone introduced me as an investigator.  I "swallowed" the retort I wanted to give, and smiled politely (I hope!).

I honestly just didn't get it. At first maybe I thought they thought I was from the FBI  or IRS or something, investigating the church. ;) I took it almost as if the person saw me as some kind of a threat!  But the questioner was so friendly I quickly dismissed that idea! :)

"Are you studying our churches beliefs?" might be a better question. I've use that one and that usually communicates pretty well. 

That that is a distinction that someone born in the church is highly likely to miss but which might confuse someone new who is studying our beliefs

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 12:16 PM, california boy said:

The changes still do not call the Church the name God gave it.  And is all it is doing from a marketing point of view is making the search engines generic to a hundred other religions.  In reality, it really does nothing to solve both issues.  It is however facinating to watch.  

This is simply an amazing thing. It wastes so much time on a non Issue. I guess Nelson's predecessors were to uninspired to make these changes. It appears based on past comments and even conference talks this has been a pet peeve of Nelson. Now he has the power so let's ram this through.  It is amusing really. Is this the best the "Prophet" of God has to offer?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

I go to a traditional parish so it's still done and called Benediction. A lot of parishes don't do it anymore (most don't even have Eucharistic Adoration).

Yeah, I'm sure a non-Catholic would wonder what the heck is going on. But Tridentine Catholicism is pretty weird for most people anyway, ha.

Weird but wonderful. Quite frankly as a mystic I like all the, dare I say it "Hocus pocus"? 

;)

No offense intended. It's actually very evocative of mystery. As one who thinks that the mysteries of God are unspeakable, but are taught in human worm speak, ceremony and mystery are essential.

That's why I like our Temple so much.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

And I suppose she was an investigator who is just heard for the first time in her life correct? As she knew what Kolob was?

You are still not understanding the Central point here! 

Meat before milk!

No one is saying these are not wonderful and enriching hymns. The point is that they are not good for investigators.

I also remember someone welcoming me to church and asked me if I was an investigator. I kind of looked around and thought that perhaps they thought that I was a detective?

Why would they think that?

If we want to grow you have to be aware of the problem of meat before milk

I beg to differ. First, I wish I had been taught early on, the meat. Because when I learned it later it was too tough to swallow. Second, I remember hearing of converts that learn controversial things and that is what drew them to the church. I guess they read something in the Bible and didn't see it in any other church but ours, can't remember what now. So the more the church goes mainstream, it will lose converts possibly. And another thing, the missionaries should teach meat to new members, because it's sort of like not knowing the small print in the contract of baptism if they don't, IMO. 

Edited by Tacenda

4 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

And I suppose she was an investigator who is just heard for the first time in her life correct? As she knew what Kolob was?

You are still not understanding the Central point here! 

Meat before milk!

No one is saying these are not wonderful and enriching hymns. The point is that they are not good for investigators.

I also remember someone welcoming me to church and asked me if I was an investigator. I kind of looked around and thought that perhaps they thought that I was a detective?

Why would they think that?

If we want to grow you have to be aware of the problem of meat before milk

I understand better than you think. 

11 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Weird but wonderful. Quite frankly as a mystic I like all the, dare I say it "Hocus pocus"? 

;)

No offense intended. It's actually very evocative of mystery. As one who thinks that the mysteries of God are unspeakable, but are taught in human worm speak, ceremony and mystery are essential.

That's why I like our Temple so much.

I'm not offended at all because I'm right there with you. Spiritual mysteries are best taught in symbols. Mysticism is ineffable so symbols are what we got. It's one reason why I find the new mass so lacking.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 3:07 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

It needs to be acknowledged that failure to observe the Word of Wisdom makes one ineligible for certain privileges in the  Church. 

I believe I said this.

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2019 at 11:54 AM, bluebell said:

I thought it was interesting that the first given reason for this change is to impact members, not nonmembers. 

That seems even stranger to me, frankly, in that it’s disorienting to life-long members like me. There are more than a fair number of reasons to wonder if this is the same church I grew up in; personally, I don’t need more such reasons. I found out recently that the Spanish male initiatory ordinances were revised again after changes were made in 2010 that resulted in a much more literal rendering from English. The new revisions return to much more “Spanish” grammatical constructions, which normally I’d applaud—except that the fact that there have been periodic changes only adds to hispanohablante members’ confusion. There was a marked drop-off in Spanish-language initiatories in our temple in 2010, and I can’t see how another round of changes will do anything but aggravate the situation. Imagine what it must be like to have to wonder from one temple visit to the next what will have changed.

Edited by esodije

11 hours ago, esodije said:

That seems even stranger to me, frankly, in that it’s disorienting to life-long members like me. There are more than a fair number of reasons to wonder if this is the same church I grew up in; personally, I don’t need more such reasons. I found out recently that the Spanish male initiatory ordinances were revised again after changes were made in 2010 that resulted in a much more literal rendering from English. The new revisions return to much more “Spanish” grammatical constructions, which normally I’d applaud—except that the fact that there have been periodic changes only adds to hispanohablante members’ confusion. There was a marked drop-off in Spanish-language initiatories in our temple in 2010, and I can’t see how another round of changes will do anything but aggravate the situation. Imagine what it must be like to have to wonder from one temple visit to the next what will have changed.

I don't really see that as a problem, unless someone sees change as something to be feared.  If change is lead by God, is there any reason to be annoyed by it?

• Like 2

I saw this in another forum, and wanted to post it here for everyone's input:

Joshua / Jesus 
The name Jesus is an artifact of the Great Apostacy, where Christ's name was transliterated numerous times going from Aramaic to Hebrew to Greek to Latin to German to English. With the Greek transliteration making the largest change from the -ua ending (greek feminine) to the -us ending (greek masculine). I find it especially ironic that recently the Church insists on being called by its true name, "Even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints", when Christ's true name is really Joshua (Yeshua).

I did a quick internet scan - it does appear that Yeshua or Joshua really is the correct name?  

44 minutes ago, changed said:

I saw this in another forum, and wanted to post it here for everyone's input:

I did a quick internet scan - it does appear that Yeshua or Joshua really is the correct name?  

I see this argument the same as the one that condemns the BoM because Adieu is used in it, not understanding it is appropriate English for the time period.  Nobody thinks they talked or wrote in English in the original texts of either the BoM or the Bible.

If one looks at other languages, the name of the Church is not always "Jesus Christ", but however that English version of the Lord's name translates.  The Church is not claiming this is what Christ was called when alive, but it and its various versions in other languages is how he is currently known.

Same thing with Heavenly Father.  I doubt anyone in the Church thinks that is his name as opposed to a title.

Chances are all apostles and likely Seventies as well understand "Jesus" is not what Christ was called in mortality.  I hope most membership understand that as well.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1984/04/jesus-the-christ-the-words-and-their-meaning?lang=eng

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2

Can't add this to the above...

add-on:  as far as it being an artifact of apostasy, I disagree and just think it is SOP for language naming conventions and translations, similar to the modern habit of adapting names such that 成龍 is now widely known as Jackie Chan.

see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Chan for numerous variations

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

Well, the "Jehovah" Witnesses seemed to have gotten the name at least a little closer to being right... O well - "When in Rome", I guess the church is just following popular ideologies.  

4 hours ago, changed said:

Well, the "Jehovah" Witnesses seemed to have gotten the name at least a little closer to being right... O well - "When in Rome", I guess the church is just following popular ideologies.  

So is Ivan or John or Sean the right name?