Seriously No Politics ×

LDS.org and Mormon.org changing names

The new names have arrived. What do you think? https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900058704/church-news-ldsorg-mormonorg-other-social-channels-are-changing-to-reflect-the-full-name-of-the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints.html

As a result:

“Jesus Christ is at the center of His Church and we will be blessed as we strive to make Him the center of our lives,” wrote the First Presidency in the letter titled, “Using the correct name of the Church.”

I was curious about Mormon Newsroom and it looks like that will be changing as well, but it doesn't appear it will be right away.

In the coming months, the ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain name will replace what were the following:

• LDS.org (ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
  • MormonNewsroom.org (Newsroom.ChurchofJesusChrist.org)

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-name-alignment

Also...

Mobile Apps: Many of the Church’s mobile apps will be renamed to align with recent direction from Church leaders regarding the naming of Church products.

• LDS Music becomes “Sacred Music”
  • The Gospel Library app keeps the same name

Email Domain: The email addresses of all Church employees, general Church leaders and many volunteers will begin using the @ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain instead of the current @ldschurch.org. Like other changes, this adjustment is intended to help keep the name of Jesus Christ prominent in all the Church does.

It's also interesting that they are creating a new Facebook group

A new Facebook group has been established to build community and better inform individuals about Church news and updates. This group is called “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints—Inspiration and News.” This group is designed to be a place of community and connection for Latter-day Saints.

Edited by HappyJackWagon
9 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Mormon.org is changed to ComeUntoChrist.org.

Interesting.  The KSL article made it sound like Mormon.org will be incorporated into the ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain, instead of getting a new and separate domain name.

Edited by pogi
6 minutes ago, pogi said:

Interesting.  The KSL article made it sound like Mormon.org will be incorporated into the ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain, instead of getting a new and separate domain name.

Here is what the full article in the Newsroom says about it-

"Eventually, Mormon.org will be incorporated into the new domain as well. However, because its primary audience is those outside the Church, merging it with the Church member-focused ChurchofJesusChrist.org will take more time.  Work is underway to unify and restructure all these websites into a new, more cohesive and personalized experience under the ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain. Until that time, Mormon.org will change to ComeuntoChrist.org."

27 minutes ago, pogi said:

Would be cool if they incorporated some of the things they're really known for, like having awesome basketball players.  Seen some of the vids out there with elders schooling people, would be neat to see that on the LDS websites.

Just sayin, would get attention from the likes of me.  Vid related, look at homie go, he's a G!

29 minutes ago, SouthernMo said:

Am I an Eyore if I just don’t care?

It depends upon the volume of your apathy. If you react at at all, you're not really apathetic.

6 hours ago, not_my_real_name said:

Just waiting for this board to decide it wants to follow the prophet and make a proper name change....

😊

Mormon will be the most common name that most in the population will refer to the Church and its members.  It simply is a term that has been around a long time and is one word.  For members to always avoid the word may not be realistic.  In terms of internet search,  avoiding the word may dramatically reduce the numbers of people who might get to a site.  I understand what the Church is doing but there are some limitations that come with not using "mormon."

6 hours ago, california boy said:

The changes still do not call the Church the name God gave it.  And is all it is doing from a marketing point of view is making the search engines generic to a hundred other religions.  In reality, it really does nothing to solve both issues.  It is however facinating to watch.  

Does that mean that those looking for the Mormon Church will be less likely to find it?  Is this part of the winnowing process?  That is, does this make it likely that only the most highly motivated and dogged searchers will find it?

23 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

Mormon will be the most common name that most in the population will refer to the Church and its members.  It simply is a term that has been around a long time and is one word.  For members to always avoid the word may not be realistic.  In terms of internet search,  avoiding the word may dramatically reduce the numbers of people who might get to a site.  I understand what the Church is doing but there are some limitations that come with not using "mormon."

Dos this mean that conversion statistics will now take a nose-dive?

7 hours ago, bsjkki said:

LDS.org has become ChurchofJesusChrist.org.

When it comes to navigating to the church's website, I very much prefer lds.org to the new web address. Maybe I'll get used to it though. 

However, so long as lds.org continues to redirect to the church's main page, as I assume it will (in perpetuity), it doesn't really make any difference. 

34 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Does that mean that those looking for the Mormon Church will be less likely to find it?  Is this part of the winnowing process?  That is, does this make it likely that only the most highly motivated and dogged searchers will find it?

I think anyone who searches for the words "Mormon", Mormons, or "Mormon Church" will be directed to the right site.

1 hour ago, carbon dioxide said:

This seems at odds with the “non-negotiable” nature of the name of the church as described by the Prophet. 

42 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

If someone Googles Mormon or Mormonism into the search engine, the highest priority that will come to the top of the page is if that is the name of the web site.  If it is just a tag, then it competes with all the other web sites that have that as a tag.  What will probably work is to continue to keep Mormon.org and have the search engines redidrect to the new web site.  It becomes less of an issue.

8 hours ago, california boy said:

The changes still do not call the Church the name God gave it.  And is all it is doing from a marketing point of view is making the search engines generic to a hundred other religions.  In reality, it really does nothing to solve both issues.  It is however facinating to watch.  

On the contrary, the changes are in conformity with the name that was given by revelation. And in conformity with the instruction the resurrected Christ gave the Nephites. 

If it’s fascinating to watch it is precisely to because divine direction is counter-intuitive to those with a mindset such as yours. 

29 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

On the contrary, the changes are in conformity with the name that was given by revelation. And in conformity with the instruction the resurrected Christ gave the Nephites. 

If it’s fascinating to watch it is precisely to because divine direction is counter-intuitive to those with a mindset such as yours. 

Oh really?  I thought God wanted the name of the church to be the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Do we just ignore the last half of the name that God gave the church?  So which is it?  Maybe we should change all the signage on ward buildings to match the new name.  

Edited by california boy
53 minutes ago, california boy said:

Oh really?  I thought God wanted the name of the church to be the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Do we just ignore the last half of the name that God gave the church?  So which is it?  Maybe we should change all the signage on ward buildings to match the new name.  

You’re talking gibberish. Nobody said to ignore “of Latter-day Saints.”

2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

You’re talking gibberish. Nobody said to ignore “of Latter-day Saints.”

Yet the new web site did just that.  Am I wrong?