Seriously No Politics ×

UVU Mormon Studies - Women of Mormondom

1 hour ago, hope_for_things said:

I’m planning to go on Friday, I went last year and I thought it was excellent.  

Lucky you!  Please report back regarding your experience and what was discussed or taught.  This looks like it will be awesome and very relevant for members today.

Edited by ALarson
22 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Looks to be a very important conference.  What I find remarkable is the complete absence of men from the program.  For me, the problem is just as acute as when women are given short-shrift -- as they typically have been.

In a presentation titled "women of mormondom" not having any men speak seems obvious.  I don't think men are being given short-shrift by not being asked to speak on that topic.

27 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

What I find remarkable is the complete absence of men from the program. 

I think they're trying to get to the point where it isn't remarkable. 

Edited by cinepro

I think dividing people up based on their gonads just seems like a natural thing to do. One gonad is just not the equal of another gonad and those possessing similar gonads are the only ones that can understand what it means to possess a like gonad. Besides, the "others", you know the ones, those that have different gonads are incapable of inspiring, leading, guiding those of with similar gonads. 

I just think it is vitally important for like gonads to congregate and rejoice in the fact that we all of similar gonads. All are welcome if you have the same gonads and those with different gonads....well, you just would never understand. 

18 minutes ago, cinepro said:

I think they're trying to get to the point where it isn't remarkable. 

Too true!  It was just last year (and i'm 42) that I realized that it always surprises me whenever I see a group of women doing something with no men present (like in a job or in a leadership position at church) but that I am never surprised when I see a group of men doing something and no women are present.  This really hit me watching the movie Hidden Figures.

We're very culturally conditioned to think it's weird or odd or significant not to have men participating in or running something (unless it's something to do with childcare, homemaking/cleaning, or cooking of course) but not having women taking part is not unique at all.

I think we do need to get to a place where that isn't the case.  

22 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

I think dividing people up based on their gonads just seems like a natural thing to do. One gonad is just not the equal of another gonad and those possessing similar gonads are the only ones that can understand what it means to possess a like gonad. Besides, the "others", you know the ones, those that have different gonads are incapable of inspiring, leading, guiding those of with similar gonads. 

I just think it is vitally important for like gonads to congregate and rejoice in the fact that we all of similar gonads. All are welcome if you have the same gonads and those with different gonads....well, you just would never understand. 

But, do you have the gonads to show up and support this? :) 

41 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

I agree.  And I the church agrees with you (otherwise, why separate for RS and EQ?) but we also need to recognize that while dividing based on gender is helpful in some instances (especially if the topic of discussion is a specific gender, for example) in others it's unnecessary and harmful.

29 minutes ago, ALarson said:

But, do you have the gonads to show up and support this? :) 

I have seldom found interest in things that highlight a gender, a race, etc. I admit that I events focused on cultures have caught my interest in the past. Do I support a specific gender, or race...no. I don't really feel that is healthy for an individual of for the community. Why would anyone think it is healthy?  

Nothing I have stated here should be interpreted that I don't think heros; those who throw in their two mites to those who have moved mountains - should not be celebrated. But celebrate them for their actions rather than their gender, race, etc. 

2 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

If your gonads offend thee cut them off.

I too was rather disappointed to not see any men in the list of participants. Who better than a man to give a presentation on the influences and miracles in his life of modern day prophetesses and miraculous healings from faithful women laying their hands on the sick to heal them?

1 hour ago, hope_for_things said:

Are some men threatened by the idea of a women focused conference?  You’d think with virtually everything in our culture having a masculine slant, almost by default, that something focused on women would be a breath of fresh air.  

What if they......like......talk about us and decide we are bad?

2 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

I have seldom found interest in things that highlight a gender, a race, etc. I admit that I events focused on cultures have caught my interest in the past. Do I support a specific gender, or race...no. I don't really feel that is healthy for an individual of for the community. Why would anyone think it is healthy?  

Nothing I have stated here should be interpreted that I don't think heros; those who throw in their two mites to those who have moved mountains - should not be celebrated. But celebrate them for their actions rather than their gender, race, etc. 

Are you planning on boycotting the priesthood session this general conference?

1 minute ago, Robert F. Smith said:

It is very difficult to get women interested in STEM fields.  Some of them are intimidated at the notion.  Instead, women flock to the humanities and currently dominate that field.

The key question being how much of this trend is due to cultural influences rather than biological.  

5 hours ago, bluebell said:

In a presentation titled "women of mormondom" not having any men speak seems obvious.  I don't think men are being given short-shrift by not being asked to speak on that topic.

There are men who have expertise in that area, and who should have been invited.  A psychologist like Professor Jordan Peterson, for example.  Or sociology professors Ryan Cragun and Rick Phillips.  Jana Reiss knows Cragun and has interviewed him.