Seriously No Politics ×

is satan part of Gods plan in the plan of salvation

Ernest

i want to really understand if Satan is part of the plan of salvation as recorded in the book of Mormon, i so much sometimes get confused to whether is was in the plan of God to allow Satan to play that kind of a role, and if he is part of the plan then what is he guilty of at the last day, and why God could not use another person rather than Satan to play this role in the plan of salvation 

Hello Ernest, welcome to the Board. I think God knows his children and does not attempt to forcefully alter their way of being. Lucifer could have been one of the choicest of God's children, but he chose a wholly selfish path  and was willing to war against God to get what he wanted. I believe that God accepts his choice and allows him to act within God's own parameters to fulfill God's own plan. 

Free agency is a required principle for God; it is not set aside to achieve God's plan for his creation. Satan has a major role in God's plan; he is the opposition in all things by choice. I don't think God created Lucifer specifically to rebel; the choice was his as it is for each of us. Each being has the ability to choose between evil and good. Satan rebelled and took a 1/3 of the host of heaven - anyone of that great number could have fulfilled the same role, but Satan was first to choose evil.

6 hours ago, Ernest said:

i want to really understand if Satan is part of the plan of salvation as recorded in the book of Mormon, i so much sometimes get confused to whether is was in the plan of God to allow Satan to play that kind of a role, and if he is part of the plan then what is he guilty of at the last day, and why God could not use another person rather than Satan to play this role in the plan of salvation 

Storm Rider is correct:  It just has to be that way.

Satan, Lucifer, Devil, etc., are merely titles for a character who has to be part of the Plan of Salvation, and Lehi's Law of Opposition explains why.  Satan is merely one of the players in life's ritual, a ritual which everyone  must complete.  As Shakespeare said in "As You Like It," Act II, Scene VII :

All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts, His acts being seven ages.

Satan is part of the plan of salvation so that there will be opposition and give us the opportunity to be tested to see if we will choose the right.
A question one might ask is was it God's plan to have Satan rebel in the pre-mortal life so there would be opposition in this life?
God didn't make Satan rebel so it would happen, but I think the principles of opposition and evil are just as eternal as the principles of truth and right are.
They have always existed and always will exist. Mankind doesn't need satan for evil to exist; mankind is perfectly capable of being evil on their own.
Satan and his angels are here however to prompt us to choose evil. 

Excellent insights.

Let me summarize ==>>  Evil is eternal, and the role of Satan has alway existed.  In each play, the role is played by a different individual.The Plan of Salvation takes into account the (temple) drama where the Good always wins in the end over eternal Evil.

I would study and define Satan.

I would study and define God.

I would study and define 'plan'.

I would study and define 'salvation'.

That's a very packed question, with a lot of potential unpacking to do.  The kind of question you ask determines the kind of answer(s) you get.

For example, I do not think Satan used to be (i.e. in ancient Judaism including the Garden story) associated with evil; and I still think that to associate Satan with evil is to misunderstand.  He represents testing or struggle, as I understand.

12 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

My husband and I fist pump every time he is shirtless in a movie. It’s embarrassing so we make it an event. 

Hilarious.

He is only four years younger than I am, so I was thinking I don't really have to view myself as on the downward slide quite yet, even if it feels that way some days.

Edited by Calm