Seriously No Politics ×

How crazy/mentally ill are you?

poptart

I was diagnosed with PTSD, moderate depression and a bit of bipolar, what problems do you all have?  How do you cope?  I used to medicate with a lot of alcohol, now I go more for diet, exercise and when needed CPD. 

On that note, how does the church look at CBD?  Have to admit for anxiety or when i'm just having a bad day that may lead to a breakdown, it works wonders.

39 minutes ago, poptart said:

I was diagnosed with PTSD, moderate depression and a bit of bipolar, what problems do you all have?  How do you cope?  I used to medicate with a lot of alcohol, now I go more for diet, exercise and when needed CPD. 

On that note, how does the church look at CBD?  Have to admit for anxiety or when i'm just having a bad day that may lead to a breakdown, it works wonders.

CBD is a godsend to many, especially those with PTSD and the like. I'm so glad you switched from alcohol to CBD! The public is headed for an awakening on this miracle plant! 

I had severe anxiety stemming from my thyroid meds and quit the meds and now taking CBD/THC and life is sooo much better. I use to panic on the freeways and some side roads believe it or not, and couldn't drive for a good 3 years unless it was under 55 mph. Now I'm getting my old life back, yay!

31 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Where it is legal, I don't know what the official LDS policy on cannabis might be.  However, if someone has a medical prescription for it, I doubt that the Church would frown on it.

Wow, I had a med card at one time, the church is pretty reasonable.  Seems like most Christians, at least back in the day looked at marijuana as the devils cabbage, yet alcohol was ok.

21 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

CBD is a godsend to many, especially those with PTSD and the like. I'm so glad you switched from alcohol to CBD! The public is headed for an awakening on this miracle plant! 

I had severe anxiety stemming from my thyroid meds and quit the meds and now taking CBD/THC and life is sooo much better. I use to panic on the freeways and some side roads believe it or not, and couldn't drive for a good 3 years unless it was under 55 mph. Now I'm getting my old life back, yay!

I think it's going to be legalized soon, too good of a cashcrop.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Where it is legal, I don't know what the official LDS policy on cannabis might be.  However, if someone has a medical prescription for it, I doubt that the Church would frown on it.

FYI, if the speakers at conference start passing a bong around, that will be the day I go.  If the Prophet has a revelation from on high that Marijuana really is his sacrament, then i'll admit the LDS church is true.  I seriously hope something along those lines happens, that plant does so much good for people.  Have to say there where a few times that the plant helped stave off thoughts of walking infront of a train.

If you haven't had Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, that is research proven both for anxiety and for depression.   If you find a therapist who really does it (as opposed to the many who claim to do it but don't), it will change your life because it teaches healthy thinking skills.   David Burns "feeling sad" includes most of the exercises.  Some benefit from online http://ecouch.anu.edu.au/

26 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I’ve never drank or even sipped a coffee. 

I’d use CBD over opioids any day and not blink. 

The problem, imo, is it is not regulated, so who knows what it really is:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwburns/2018/05/26/officials-say-fake-cbd-poisoned-at-least-52-people-in-utah-last-winter/

Over the past several years, however, a growing range of unregulated products claiming to contain CBD have also been flooding state and national marketplaces, putting consumers at risk of wasting their money, or worse. Last year, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration moved to crack down on four CBD manufacturers and distributors, particularly focusing on the companies' claims around cancertreatment.

The market surge on so-called CBD has also meant that would-be safe users of effective, actual cannabidiol are finding they need to do a lot of time-consuming research about each product (and often still cross their fingers) before swallowing companies' claims.

Edited by Calm
50 minutes ago, Calm said:

problem, imo, is it is not regulated, so who knows what it really is:

Makes sense to me,  but for me, the fear of addiction to opiods outweighs the fear of unregulated  CBD.  Especially topicals. That’s just me though, I know it’s not for everyone. 

Just wanted to share the point of view of one life long word of wisdom law abider :)

Also, diagnoses don’t make ya crazy! ❤️ Pretty much everyone falls under a diagnostic label.  So if that’s the crazy qualifier then we’re all nuts. 

When im on edge I exercise. Or I turn to my hobby.  I take vitamin D. And I check in with myself to determine if I need to communicate better with my spouse. All these things are ways I take care of myself when I’m stretched. 

Helps with relaxation.  Very common deficiency.  Calcium can help as well....they work together, but may get unbalanced.  I take magnesium at night and calcium during the day.  In the past, supplements were using a combo of cal and mag with mag 1/2 or 1/4 cal.  Now magnesium is being seen as important.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-common-nutrient-deficiencies#section5

Be aware magnesium supplements may act as a laxative, though depends on what type.  For relaxation and sleep, magnesium threonate may be best.  Magnesium citrate is the most common allegedly*** good kind, but if starting make sure you take it slowly or have a toilet nearby in case you are sensitive.  Iirc, magnesium carbonate isn't that effective/absorbable.  Same with calcium carbonate, which iirc is the stuff in tums.

****I added allegedly because .I just read my first reference saying it throws things off and shouldn't be used when it was once the star, so as always we need to be aware that claims made today may change tomorrow, so don't assume your 20 year old routine is still seen as the best.

If you are interested in using supplements, to get your money's worth researching what type is wise, just in case you aren't currently familiar with all that is out there.  When I started looking, it was generally "take the citrate form"; now it seems like there are at least a half dozen types for each mineral, each with its own profile, so match your needs with what version you want.  And as I am just reminded again, what is once hyped can now be seen as dangerous or the reverse ( though much less often in my experience).

A friend recommended using Consumer Labs to find out if the product carries what they claim among other info.  I am planning on signing up as soon as I use up my last order of magnesium.

Edited by Calm

I have never been diagnosed officially, but I was dysfunctional for decades.  Rage, depression, anxiety, bipolar, borderline, disassociation, extreme PMS, you name it.  I have to have magnesium, which I normally do by having a daily smoothie with a big handful of greens (spinach or kale or whatever).  I also have seratonin problems, but I haven't completely solved that.  In my healing journey, first I learned a toolkit of coping mechanisms, even though my issues were active.  Nowadays, maybe for the past 3 years or so, most of my issues have lifted, so that I do actually feel human and not like a degraded monster.  But I still have to keep my habits, do my nutritional stuff, and pay attention so when I do notice I'm about to go off the deep end, I can do something about it.

I'm one of sanest people I know, unfortunately. 

Except for a touch of attention deficit, which doesnt seem to amount to an illness, and I can control it with willpower. 

😊

On 2/25/2019 at 10:26 PM, Maidservant said:

I have never been diagnosed officially, but I was dysfunctional for decades.  Rage, depression, anxiety, bipolar, borderline, disassociation, extreme PMS, you name it.  I have to have magnesium, which I normally do by having a daily smoothie with a big handful of greens (spinach or kale or whatever).  I also have seratonin problems, but I haven't completely solved that.  In my healing journey, first I learned a toolkit of coping mechanisms, even though my issues were active.  Nowadays, maybe for the past 3 years or so, most of my issues have lifted, so that I do actually feel human and not like a degraded monster.  But I still have to keep my habits, do my nutritional stuff, and pay attention so when I do notice I'm about to go off the deep end, I can do something about it.

Have you tried Trytophan or HTP?  I have found the first very helpful; the second has caused headaches in the past, but many prefer it.

-----

General FYI

I have been using the Consumerlabs site, unfortunately they don't usually test the brands that I use and they are not consistent in what companies they test, but it appears for cost, the bulksupplements company may be your best bet for getting what you expect at lower cost.  In the three items they tested that company for, 2 were top choice and the third it looked to come out right behind Sam's Club.  The only problem is much comes in powder, so need to measure carefully.  

I will check out how they view the Sam's Club or Kirkland's later, got to go to Mom stuff.

The Consumerlab site is cheap and so far it looks like a good collection of info on supplements as well as testing quality and comparing prices.  If you don't want to spend a lot of time researching, well worth the 2.50 a month for two years (69$) or 45$ for one year.  I would use WebMD or the Mayo site in conjunction for easy access info and then have your pharmacist doublecheck any possible interactions with medications (such as no minerals for 4 hours before or after the syn-throid drug, can't remember how to spell it).

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Maidservant said:

I honestly have never heard of either of those!  I guess I get to study them out now :).  Thanks for the tip, Calm.

I loved trytophan in the past and love it now, but it did cause headaches for 20 years post using an SSRI which I think threw off my neurochemicals so I easily get anxiety and migraines with supplements (in the past it was a sensitive stomach, that has toughen up, now I am more a head case it seems).   I was so excited this past year when .I discovered I could use it again.

However, I do wonder if my daughter's problems she inherited were aggravated because I used it heavily during pregnancy.  She has more severe levels of depression (serotonin) than I did at her age and went deeper than I did as far as I can tell plus I think she started showing symptoms of my 'sleep disorder ' (dopamine is involved, actually more of a neurological movement disorder affecting sleep for most people, severe affects people 24-7) while in the womb ( I would lie down to rest and she would start kicking, when she was about three months old, the only way to get her to sleep many nights was to bounce her and her naps were like 15 minutes and disappeared by age 2).

Whatever, pregnant and nursing women...research your nutrition!!! And err on side of caution.

Edited by Calm