cinepro

President Nelson and Change

3 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

In my active years a couple of years ago. A lot of people hated home teaching and visiting teaching. And getting visits. People seem very busy in life and the last thing they need is someone from church bothering them I guess.

If other people have become a 'bother', then we're in serious trouble.

But in Africa people are needed.

People are needed everywhere. Unfortunately, some don't realise that yet ... and may not until it's too late.

As always, the choice is yours. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

They aren't stuck in Utah,

I love Utah.  I love knowing in an emergency I can run next door or across the street and not only know them by face, but know them well.  Life hasn't been like that since I was 12 and even then it was families I felt tolerated us rather than cared.  And people wave to me whenever I am walking and kids know my dog by name and ask about my family.  It will be hard to move, we keep putting it off though the house and yard are way too big for us now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Calm said:

I love Utah.  I love knowing in an emergency I can run next door or across the street and not only know them by face, but know them well.  Life hasn't been like that since I was 12 and even then it was families I felt tolerated us rather than cared.  And people wave to me whenever I am walking and kids know my dog by name and ask about my family.  It will be hard to move, we keep putting it off though the house and yard are way too big for us now.

I love Utah too.  Love the outdoors.  Love the familiarity and the easy directions. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

And getting visits.

This has always been a stickler for me. I want to do my part to help those I'm assigned to without becoming an iota more intrusive than that. But I found that a lot of people just didn't want to be bothered with visits at all and acted like I WANTED to be intrusive or at least that i WANTED to take up some of their precious time. Still don't how to deal with it.

Edited by CMZ

2 hours ago, CMZ said:

Still don't how to deal with it.

I ask people what they want from me. 

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I ask people want they want from me. 

Man, sometimes it's hard for me to even get to where I can ask them that. "Oh, no. The ministering brother is coming towards us!!"

4 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I ask people what they want from me. 

I do that as well. Usually they get a deer in the headlights look, so I'll give them different ideas, "would you like a visit, go to lunch, texts or phone calls? We are here for you so if you prefer visits then we are good with that and if texts we are good with that as well."

Honestly, it takes awhile for them to get that we are ok with whatever they decide. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rain said:

Honestly, it takes awhile for them to get that we are ok with whatever they decide. 

And then we have to be OK with whatever they decide. Nearly 15 years ago, I was assigned a family to visit. The dad was very angry, inactive and bitter. He grew marijuana behind his house and kept a stash of beer. He was convinced that members were all hypocrites and liars.

I asked him what he wanted from us. He said he wanted us to visit and share a message twice a month. At the time, I thought he was appealing for extra help. But really he was just testing us, to see what we would do. So my companions and I (I went through a series of young men) visited him twice a month for six years. Every visit took 2--3 hours, and he was usually quite aggressive, especially in the beginning. Then he came back to church and told us we could just visit him once a month.

He's been overseas for several months, but he just returned, and he rang me this morning early. 'I miss seeing your face', he said. I promised I'd be there next week some time.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

And then we have to be OK with whatever they decide. Nearly 15 years ago, I was assigned a family to visit. The dad was very angry, inactive and bitter. He grew marijuana behind his house and kept a stash of beer. He was convinced that members were all hypocrites and liars.

I asked him what he wanted from us. He said he wanted us to visit and share a message twice a month. At the time, I thought he was appealing for extra help. But really he was just testing us, to see what we would do. So my companions and I (I went through a series of young men) visited him twice a month for six years. Every visit took 2--3 hours, and he was usually quite aggressive, especially in the beginning. Then he came back to church and told us we could just visit him once a month.

He's been overseas for several months, but he just returned, and he rang me this morning early. 'I miss seeing your face', he said. I promised I'd be there next week some time.

To an extent any way. I think things can be worked out between you. 

My husband, until he got his masters in December, had been working full time, going to school and in the YM presidency while traveling for quite a bit for work. For awhile he had home teaching assignments that took a LOT of time even if he hadn't been going to school. (A twice a month visit would have been comparatively easy.) Occasionally, I had to put down my foot of how much they demanded of his time for his sanity and for our family and marriage. And yet, sometimes, the families asked for more of his time.

Funny how things work sometimes. The family that took the most time was assigned different ministering brothers, he got his degree and was released from his calling and hasn't been given a new one, all in November/December after 4 years of school.

So yes, I think that one should be willing, but we also need to listen to the Lord on where our priorities lie. Most of the time we have more to give. Some of the time we don't and the people we minister need to be ok with that as well.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1