ElPatron

Missionaires allowed to call home weekly

I quite preferred only talking to my folks twice a year, and was usually eager to get off the phone with them when I did. I'd be annoyed feeling like I had to call them each week.

Though I get that it could be incredibly helpful for some. I'd prefer just cutting back the draconian limitations that prevented missionaries who really needed it from being able to speak with family.

Old rule surely began because of the sometimes incredibly high costs of long distance calls, which the internet has dropped to zero. So makes sense.

• Like 1

I am very pleased. It was very unnatural to put young people out there without their family support, especially now with many kids leaving before they have ever been on their own.

I would have loved this. My family was going through a very hard time during my mission. My dad's business folded, he was very depressed and lonely. I worked with him for years, we spent a lot of time together. He told me during my mission was the hardest time he had as an adult. It would have been nice to give each other a weekly pep-talks.

It has always been hard to be a missionary, but I imagine the Church is an even harder sell today (everywhere but parts of Africa and parts of Latin America). The world is more secular and lots of information is just a mouse click away. A younger cousin serving stateside said he had lots of initial contacts fall through because of something they read or watched. Interested one day, done the next. Even fifteen years ago, I did not experience such a quick change of feelings. I am sure this is not helping moral.

"Computer, what is the best way to cheer up a mother?"

Computer: "make a call and let them know you love them."

• Like 1

I don't know if I would have liked it or not.  My parents weren't members, and weren't particularly pleased with my serving a mission (instead of doing something useful like going to college).  But I was not the baseline case.

No one in the family are great phone talkers.  Might have helped my daughter process some of the diabetes issues, but I kind of doubt it.  Maybe she would have been interested in meeting a girl her age who had just been diagnosed the year before that my son had met in Utah.  At that point she was in almost full denial.

Otherwise, I would have told him call us once a month unless you want to call to take the pressure off.

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Pretty cool.

I  think one reason for the change could be related to decrease in the cost of long distance. You can get in touch with almost anyone using free Skype/FaceTime. No more using calling cards like we would have to do to make phone calls home.

Edited by Jean-Luc Picard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Picard said:

Pretty cool.

I  think one reason for the change could be related to decrease in the cost of long distance. You can get in touch with almost anyone using free Skype/FaceTime. No more using calling cards like we would have to do to make phone calls home.

True dat. :) 

On 2/16/2019 at 7:06 AM, Jean-Luc Picard said:

Pretty cool.

But like your story, the church rules should have allowed those with a real issue to call home or get a call home.

Edited by Tacenda