Sign in to follow this  
Balinaka

Ibn Arabi quote on Kolob.

I saw a video on YouTube done by Kerry Shirts on facsimile 2 of the Book of Abraham.  In it he quoted Ibn Arabi (a Muslim mystic).  The quote is "In the house of Abraham it is called Kolob because  it is nearest to the throne of God"   Does anyone know the source for this quote?  I know this is probably better asked in the general forum, but I can't post to that one for some reason.  Assume it's because I'm too new.

13 hours ago, Balinaka said:

I saw a video on YouTube done by Kerry Shirts on facsimile 2 of the Book of Abraham.  In it he quoted Ibn Arabi (a Muslim mystic).  The quote is "In the house of Abraham it is called Kolob because  it is nearest to the throne of God"   Does anyone know the source for this quote?  I know this is probably better asked in the general forum, but I can't post to that one for some reason.  Assume it's because I'm too new.

Hi welcome to the Board.  I thought it might help if we pin down what it is you want.  Is it that you want to know where Ibn Arabi (a Muslim mystic) got the information about Kolob or you want to know where Kerry Shirts got it.

Edited by Metis_LDS
missing words

Thanks for responding.  I want to know where Kerry Shirts got the quote from so I can track down the original in Ibn's writings.  If it's an actual quote taken from  Arabi's writings, there is a possibility Arabi learned about Kolob from a copy of the Book of Abraham.  Assuming the Joseph Smith papyri wasn't the only copy in existence over the centurys.

5 minutes ago, Balinaka said:

Thanks for responding.  I want to know where Kerry Shirts got the quote from so I can track down the original in Ibn's writings.  If it's an actual quote taken from  Arabi's writings, there is a possibility Arabi learned about Kolob from a copy of the Book of Abraham.  Assuming the Joseph Smith papyri wasn't the only copy in existence over the centurys.

Yes okay, you may already know that Wikipedia says that he published many books, for example they talk about one set having 14 volumes.  So it may be difficult in the least to track it down from that end.

On 2/14/2019 at 4:58 PM, Balinaka said:

It would be nice to know the precise source.  However, qulub is a plural in Arabic meaning "hearts" (singular qalb "heart; center; soul, spirit," as in Qalb al-ˁAsad “Regulus [in Leo]” ), so a comment by Ibn Arabi would not be out of order, even in Medieval times.  Since Kerry Shirts is a member of this board, I will try to send him a PM. [tried that just now, but was forbidden code 403]

In the LDS Book of Abraham KOLOB is the greatest star, “first in government, the last pertaining to the measurement of time,” “nearest unto” the throne of God; “signifying the first creation” (BofAbraham 3:3, facsimile 2:1-2,4-5).

See the discussion by Kevin Barney, “Kolob as Sirius,” By Common Consent, Nov 18, 2006, online at https://bycommonconsent.com/2006/11/18/kolob-as-sirius/ .  The comments which follow that article are also interesting.

Edited by Robert F. Smith