Seriously No Politics ×

The 18 Witnesses to the Book of Commandments

In another thread the issue was raised about whether or not the Whitmers have ever denied the claims of the Restoration by Joseph Smith. One of the issues that David Whitmer had with Joseph were the revisions the 1833 Book of Commandments that are found in the 1835 Doctrine and Covenants. (Bonus side question here. Who can say what the "Doctrine" portion of the "Doctrine & Covenants" title refers to. Hint: It is no longer part of the canon.) So as I was looking into this issue about why David Whitmer disagreed with Joseph I came across this revelation found in the JSP that is very interesting and I though I would share it with others. I never realized that there was a revelation that testified to the Book of Commandments with 18 witnesses. Quite interesting if you ask me.

73 Revelation

31 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

I never realized that there was a revelation that testified to the Book of Commandments with 18 witnesses. Quite interesting if you ask me.

Most if not all of the names on that document are very amazing persons.  I knew a Sister in Canada that had Lyman Wight in her family tree.

1 hour ago, CA Steve said:

In another thread the issue was raised about whether or not the Whitmers have ever denied the claims of the Restoration by Joseph Smith. One of the issues that David Whitmer had with Joseph were the revisions the 1833 Book of Commandments that are found in the 1835 Doctrine and Covenants. (Bonus side question here. Who can say what the "Doctrine" portion of the "Doctrine & Covenants" title refers to. Hint: It is no longer part of the canon.) So as I was looking into this issue about why David Whitmer disagreed with Joseph I came across this revelation found in the JSP that is very interesting and I though I would share it with others. I never realized that there was a revelation that testified to the Book of Commandments with 18 witnesses. Quite interesting if you ask me.

73 Revelation

1. Clearly not a revelation.

2. The "Doctrine" was the Lectures on Faith.  What bonus points do I get?

1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

1. Clearly not a revelation.

2. The "Doctrine" was the Lectures on Faith.  What bonus points do I get?

1. The word "Revelation" was written in in by John Whitmer as was the number #73" The footnote accompanying this notation in the JSP says:

After manuscript pages 116-129 were inscribed, John Whitmer gave each item a number and supplied some items with generic titles. The ink flow suggest he numbered and titled these items in one sitting. Because Whitmer inserted this title at a later time, it is unknown whether "Revelation" accurately reflects what JS's or other early saints' view of this item.

2. As for bonus points I award you 1 rep point from CA Steve which I have been authoritatively informed are worth their weight in Kirtland Safety Society Anti-Bank[ing] notes. This is a high honor.