Seriously No Politics ×

Pres. Nelson Op Ed

Calm

President Nelson spoke in Arizona tonight (and President Oaks and their wives).  The football stadium was filled (I was not there); and broadcast throughout the state (I was at my local stake center).  His talk was on the Abrahamic covenant; and while I don't think he said anything different about it than I have ever known, I still found it interesting that that's the topic he wanted.

2 hours ago, Maidservant said:

............................... His talk was on the Abrahamic covenant; and while I don't think he said anything different about it than I have ever known, I still found it interesting that that's the topic he wanted.

He quoted the Chief Rabbi of the UK in his Op-ed, and the Abrahamic Covenant is the basis of the Judeo-Christian-Muslim religious tradition.  Perhaps he wanted us to broaden our purview.

7 hours ago, Maidservant said:

President Nelson spoke in Arizona tonight (and President Oaks and their wives).  The football stadium was filled (I was not there); and broadcast throughout the state (I was at my local stake center).  His talk was on the Abrahamic covenant; and while I don't think he said anything different about it than I have ever known, I still found it interesting that that's the topic he wanted.

Agreed. He follwed that into the gathering of Israel and challenging us to pray for way each day to help gather Israel. I know he had talked about Gathering in other places.  Has he talked about the Abrahamic covenant in other places recently?

But it is my conviction that our Savior can strengthen and enable us to reach our highest highs and be able to cope with our lowest lows. As an ordained Apostle of Jesus Christ, I invite you to seek to know for yourself that He is the Master Healer. He has the capacity to heal you from sin and sadness, from despair and heartache. I saw this healing balm among the people of Paradise, California, and I have felt it personally again and again, including recently in the passing of our precious daughter.

Whatever your faith tradition or personal circumstances, as a servant of the Lord, I invite you to look to Him and make Him the center of your life. Pour out your heart to God and ask Him for His help. He will infuse your life with meaning and fill your heart with hope that transcends anything the world can offer.

He's not really saying much.  Would he suggest that those in California who are not believers in any god are any more broken than those who do believe in God?  Or that those who had family die, like he recently had, are not healed in some sense, unless they believe in God?  He seems intent on telling people it's better to believe in God, but he has no reason to suggest it is better.  He does try and say the world used to be better because people believed in god more, but that's not really true.  The world also used to be worse, with things like legally sanctioned racism and such.  People don't want to go back to his hey day of the 50s because it was worse not better than today.  

25 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

He's not really saying much.  Would he suggest that those in California who are not believers in any god are any more broken than those who do believe in God?  Or that those who had family die, like he recently had, are not healed in some sense, unless they believe in God?  He seems intent on telling people it's better to believe in God, but he has no reason to suggest it is better.  He does try and say the world used to be better because people believed in god more, but that's not really true.  The world also used to be worse, with things like legally sanctioned racism and such.  People don't want to go back to his hey day of the 50s because it was worse not better than today.  

You must be a blast at parties...

1 hour ago, stemelbow said:

Are you always this negative?

12 hours ago, stemelbow said:

He's not really saying much.  Would he suggest that those in California who are not believers in any god are any more broken than those who do believe in God? 

I think so.

Or that those who had family die, like he recently had, are not healed in some sense, unless they believe in God?

I think he would agree that no one is fully healed without God.

He seems intent on telling people it's better to believe in God, but he has no reason to suggest it is better.

Yeah, I am sure if you comb through all of his conference addresses for the last few decades you will not find any indication of any advantages tied to devotion and belief in God. Complete mystery there.

The world also used to be worse, with things like legally sanctioned racism and such.  People don't want to go back to his hey day of the 50s because it was worse not better than today.  

Yeah, the 50s were definitely the most religious time in history. :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, The Nehor said:

"I think so.

I think he would agree that no one is fully healed without God.

Yeah, I am sure if you comb through all of his conference addresses for the last few decades you will not find any indication of any advantages tied to devotion and belief in God. Complete mystery there.

Yeah, the 50s were definitely the most religious time in history. :rolleyes:

What era do you imagine him longing for when he says, "Not long ago, belief in God was a given and expressions of faith the norm."  The 80s?  70s?  I"m not sure there would be any truth to his comments if he's talking about that time.  For some reason I imagined an era that he was familiar with where religion was more of an influence on the average American.  Which also happened to be an era with many of it's own problems.  a time when belief in god was a given and expressions of faith the norm might not have been a better time at all.  He's just wishing it was a better time, I guess.  

I don't think he carries much of a point here.  In his 94 years he thinks belief in God is the best way to live.  Yet, it doesn't appear he's ever tried non-belief in God, so how would he know.  It's likely that those devastated by the fires in California, included some with belief in God and some without, or at least some with very untraditional concepts of God.  It perhaps is true that any person so devasted can and has in some cases recovered, some of those could be believers or non believers.  It's also true that non believers have lost family and seem to continue forward like the rest of us.  

4 hours ago, stemelbow said:

What era do you imagine him longing for when he says, "Not long ago, belief in God was a given and expressions of faith the norm."  The 80s?  70s?  I"m not sure there would be any truth to his comments if he's talking about that time.  For some reason I imagined an era that he was familiar with where religion was more of an influence on the average American.  Which also happened to be an era with many of it's own problems.  a time when belief in god was a given and expressions of faith the norm might not have been a better time at all.  He's just wishing it was a better time, I guess.  

I don't think he carries much of a point here.  In his 94 years he thinks belief in God is the best way to live.  Yet, it doesn't appear he's ever tried non-belief in God, so how would he know.  It's likely that those devastated by the fires in California, included some with belief in God and some without, or at least some with very untraditional concepts of God.  It perhaps is true that any person so devasted can and has in some cases recovered, some of those could be believers or non believers.  It's also true that non believers have lost family and seem to continue forward like the rest of us.  

Could go as far back as the 10s or 20s. I would argue as a prophet he knows it was a better time in general. Obviously he would probably not want to bring back some of the pet sins of the past like institutionalized racism or sexism.

Maybe he has not tried non-belief but since the unbelievers all died to at least temporary damnation the advantages of the other route are obvious.

18 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Could go as far back as the 10s or 20s. I would argue as a prophet he knows it was a better time in general. Obviously he would probably not want to bring back some of the pet sins of the past like institutionalized racism or sexism.

Maybe he has not tried non-belief but since the unbelievers all died to at least temporary damnation the advantages of the other route are obvious.

I see.  So nelson has become nothing more than this to you:  

giphy.gif

No wonder he longs for a worse time.

1 hour ago, stemelbow said:

I see.  So nelson has become nothing more than this to you:  

giphy.gif

No wonder he longs for a worse time.

Saying someone will be damned and rejoicing that someone will be damned are not the same thing.

Except for me but I moonlight as a destroying angel on the weekends.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Saying someone will be damned and rejoicing that someone will be damned are not the same thing.

Except for me but I moonlight as a destroying angel on the weekends.

Saying someone will be damned when they will not be, or perhaps when the consigner does not know sounds to me to be nothing more than rejoicing in someone's demise.  But such feels like a silly thing to quibble about considering what's on the table to this point in this discussion.  

12 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Saying someone will be damned when they will not be, or perhaps when the consigner does not know sounds to me to be nothing more than rejoicing in someone's demise.  But such feels like a silly thing to quibble about considering what's on the table to this point in this discussion.  

I find everything on this table to be silly.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:16 AM, The Nehor said:

I find everything on this table to be silly.

I agree.

I have always been surprised that damnation is used to describe any persons conclusion to their mortal journey. We don't get to always pick the lot we have, says the 25k children who die each day from malnutrition and disease. 

"Computer, what is the largest dam?"

Computer: "the Three Gorges Dam in China"

"Of course, the Chinese are damming themselves..."