Seriously No Politics ×

Equal Rights Amendment: The Church is neutral...

6 minutes ago, provoman said:

Tyler Pace, a Mesa Republican who’s Mormon ... told the 50 people in attendance that he called church leaders in Utah about the ERA. He said he was told the church, which has opposed it in the past, was neutral on the issue.

Mormon woman pushes for passage of Equal Rights Amendment, hoping her church will come around

Things change in the church. They always have, they always will.

1 hour ago, provoman said:

Tyler Pace, a Mesa Republican who’s Mormon ... told the 50 people in attendance that he called church leaders in Utah about the ERA. He said he was told the church, which has opposed it in the past, was neutral on the issue........................................

It is unclear whether the ERA can be ratified, although the Congress could accept additional ratifications.  It is also unclear just what the real effects of the ERA would be if implmented

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

It is unclear whether the ERA can be ratified, although the Congress could accept additional ratifications.  It is also unclear just what the real effects of the ERA would be if implmented

Various articles I read indicated Congress could waive or change the deadline; though it all seems theoretical, and would likely result in SCOTUS intervention

11 minutes ago, provoman said:

Various articles I read indicated Congress could waive or change the deadline; though it all seems theoretical, and would likely result in SCOTUS intervention

Actually, the Supreme Court considers it a political matter and would be unlikely to interfere.  Congress can pretty much do what it wants.

5 hours ago, provoman said:

Tyler Pace, a Mesa Republican who’s Mormon ... told the 50 people in attendance that he called church leaders in Utah about the ERA. He said he was told the church, which has opposed it in the past, was neutral on the issue.

Mormon woman pushes for passage of Equal Rights Amendment, hoping her church will come around

I would trust a statement from the Church, I am afraid too often we hear what we want to hear.

3 hours ago, tulip said:

Today at church we were taught that men are insensitive and women are perfect.

False doctrine if there ever was any  (which there is).  :bad:

Think Fred Rogers and female serial killers for obvious evidence.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1012591/how-mister-rogers-life-of-quiet-grace-turned-him-into-an-unlikely-pop-culture-hero-16-years-after-his-death

http://www.realclearlife.com/crime/notorious-female-serial-killers/#1

Edited by Calm
29 minutes ago, Calm said:

I'm thinking tulip was being sarcastic.

15 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

From the way tulip has said things in the past, I assumed he saw himself as accurate in his portrayal.  Hopefully he will correct t me if I am wrong.

It was rather off topic, so it seemed a slam.

Edited by Calm
4 hours ago, tulip said:

That is the line of utter BS that I have grown tired. Leaders seem incapable of really handling any issue that deals with feminism except rolling over and offering platitudes about how righteous and spiritual women are. What I have found is that humans, regardless of their sex, are fallible and fall short. I have yet to meet a perfect woman or man.

56 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am a guy and am insensitive and imperfect so at least half of it makes sense.

We know your heart! ;)

I have always said that this idea is bizarre to me, because I've seen men in wards, in my own family etc. that far surpass some women I know in the kindness category. And even if imperfect, I'd rather know the true person vs. the fake person, and not be disappointed.

On 2/10/2019 at 1:10 PM, tulip said:

On 2/10/2019 at 4:36 PM, Calm said:

On 2/10/2019 at 5:05 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

On 2/10/2019 at 5:21 PM, Calm said:

From the way tulip has said things in the past, I assumed he saw himself as accurate in his portrayal.  Hopefully he will correct t me if I am wrong.

It was rather off topic, so it seemed a slam.

On 2/10/2019 at 5:34 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

Perhaps you are right.

Guess I was right after all.

On 2/10/2019 at 11:55 AM, Robert F. Smith said:

What do you mean it would be unclear what the effects of the ERA would be if implemented?

When it didn’t pass, the “political agenda” used the courts and eventually SCOTUS to get same-sex marriage legal.

Look at #9.

https://www.lds.org/study/ensign/1980/03/the-church-and-the-proposed-equal-rights-amendment-a-moral-issue/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-proposed-equal-rights-amendment-a-closer-look?lang=eng

15 hours ago, Calm said:

CFR if it is a quote, please.

Well this isn't the talk my bishop was quoting but it is a perfect example.

Elder Christofferson

The Moral Force of Women

From age immemorial, societies have relied on the moral force of women. While certainly not the only positive influence at work in society, the moral foundation provided by women has proved uniquely beneficial to the common good. Perhaps, because it is pervasive, this contribution of women is often underappreciated. I wish to express gratitude for the influence of good women, identify some of the philosophies and trends that threaten women’s strength and standing, and voice a plea to women to cultivate the innate moral power within them.

Women bring with them into the world a certain virtue, a divine gift that makes them adept at instilling such qualities as faith, courage, empathy, and refinement in relationships and in cultures.

Sisters, I don’t want to overpraise you as we sometimes do in Mother’s Day talks that make you cringe. You don’t have to be perfect;7 I don’t claim that you are (with one possible exception who is sitting nearby at the moment)

10 minutes ago, tulip said:

Well this isn't the talk my bishop was quoting but it is a perfect example.

Elder Christofferson

The Moral Force of Women

From age immemorial, societies have relied on the moral force of women. While certainly not the only positive influence at work in society, the moral foundation provided by women has proved uniquely beneficial to the common good. Perhaps, because it is pervasive, this contribution of women is often underappreciated. I wish to express gratitude for the influence of good women, identify some of the philosophies and trends that threaten women’s strength and standing, and voice a plea to women to cultivate the innate moral power within them.

Women bring with them into the world a certain virtue, a divine gift that makes them adept at instilling such qualities as faith, courage, empathy, and refinement in relationships and in cultures.

Sisters, I don’t want to overpraise you as we sometimes do in Mother’s Day talks that make you cringe. You don’t have to be perfect;7 I don’t claim that you are (with one possible exception who is sitting nearby at the moment)

So it specifically says women aren't perfect ( except perhaps his wife I am guessing) and that women aren't the only positive influence in society, so I don't see how that backs up your claim at all.

I do think they have overdone the " women are special by their nature" bit,  I think that is a bunch of bs.

40 minutes ago, Calm said:

So it specifically says women aren't perfect ( except perhaps his wife I am guessing) and that women aren't the only positive influence in society, so I don't see how that backs up your claim at all.

I do think they have overdone the " women are special by their nature" bit,  I think that is a bunch of bs.

“Woman is God’s supreme creation. Only after the earth had been formed, after the day had been separated from the night, after the waters had been divided from the land, after vegetation and animal life had been created, and after man had been placed on the earth, was woman created; and only then was the work pronounced complete and good.

“Of all the creations of the Almighty, there is none more beautiful, none more inspiring than a lovely daughter of God who walks in virtue with an understanding of why she should do so, who honors and respects her body as a thing sacred and divine, who cultivates her mind and constantly enlarges the horizon of her understanding, who nurtures her spirit with everlasting truth.”1

Then President Hinckley warns us, “God will hold us accountable if we neglect His daughters.”2

Like I said before, I think the whole women are special by nature is overdone and I don't like the message that might send to boys, just as I have a problem of primary lessons that single out boys as potential Priesthood holders while having nothing similar for the girls.

But even so, that above is a far cry from labeling women as perfect and men as insensitive.

Edited by Calm