Seriously No Politics ×

Are we doing enough? Major story outlining abuse with the Southern Baptists

13 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I haven’t asked.  Highly unlikely but I’ll ask.  

It is okay if you don't want to.  I have no doubt there are bishops who won't out there, knowing if he won't doesn't tell us about the frequency of such attitudes, just that they exist.  It was just a curiosity question.

Edited by Calm

I’m curious too.  

I know a lot of people are distrusting of therapy, while others are simply distrusting of many therapists. No cfr, my opinion from observation. 

Most therapists I know personally I would not recommend. 

But ive seen therapy work wonders for some.  I just wonder if being a bishop will affect his view. 

29 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I’m curious too.  

I know a lot of people are distrusting of therapy, while others are simply distrusting of many therapists. No cfr, my opinion from observation. 

Most therapists I know personally I would not recommend. 

But ive seen therapy work wonders for some.  I just wonder if being a bishop will affect his view. 

I am lucky as I know a number of good therapists, but yeah, some I wonder how they managed to get certified.  And I always tell people to shop around as the relationship between client and therapist is of high importance to success.  I used my daughter's just for convenience when .I was looking for help in adjusting to being caregivervof my mom...not seeing that as much better than just talking to my husband and daughter about it, though she was a very good fit for for my daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad follow up. Organizations need to learn that covering up wrong doing does not pay. It all comes out in the end and in these cases, it makes things worse because there are more victims.  Also, leaders need to report to police and understand their limitations as untrained counselors.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/12/southern-baptist-abuse-victims/

Those responses included outright disregard for their accusations, attempts to silence victims and conceal the cases from the rest of the congregation and a form of biblical counseling offered by church leaders with no qualifications as state-licensed counselors who, in some cases, blamed the victims for their fear and anger.”

22 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Sad follow up. Organizations need to learn that covering up wrong doing does not pay. It all comes out in the end and in these cases, it makes things worse because there are more victims.  Also, leaders need to report to police and understand their limitations as untrained counselors.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/12/southern-baptist-abuse-victims/

Those responses included outright disregard for their accusations, attempts to silence victims and conceal the cases from the rest of the congregation and a form of biblical counseling offered by church leaders with no qualifications as state-licensed counselors who, in some cases, blamed the victims for their fear and anger.”

I continue to maintain that professional counselors with no relationship to the organization in which the abuse took place should be engaged to provide therapy and if necessary an investigation. When those who are doing the counseling or investigating are responsible to the organization in which the abuse took place, it is too easy, either deliberately or unconsciously for them to seek to protect the organization. Blaming the victim is one way of doing this.