Seriously No Politics ×

New documentary on Book of Mormon witnesses

11 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Will they use Gedorge Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic for the special effects?

I recall seeing the Church-produced film “The Three Witnesses” when I was a teenager. It would be regarded as cheesy by today’s standards, yet it had a lasting impact on my life, due to the account it depicts. I found that account compelling, to say the least, and I still do. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
59 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I recall seeing the Church-produced film “The Three Witnesses” when I was a teenager. It would be regarded as cheesy by today’s standards, yet it had a lasting impact on my life, due to the account it depicts. I found that account compelling, to say the least, and I still do. 

Ditto.  The Lord called his Witnesses for a particular purpose and they have responded to the call magnificently.  

Here's a talk by Elder Oaks about Martin Harris.  

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1999/04/the-witness-martin-harris?lang=eng

I'm not sure why Oliver lost his way and became a Methodist, but I'm glad he came back.  

I don't like that the latest book published by the church history dept says that David Whitmer doubted the Melchizedek priesthood ordination of Joseph Smith.  It's wrong that he turned on the church that way.

pg379 of Foundational Texts of Mormonism, "Gurley wrote that Whitmer told him: “I never heard that an angel had ordained Joseph and Oliver to the Aaronic priesthood until the year 1834[,] 5[,] or 6.”13 In other words, Whitmer believed that Joseph Smith made up the story in the mid-1830s; otherwise, Whitmer would undoubtedly have heard of it, given his early proximity to Smith."

13 minutes ago, blueglass said:

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1999/04/the-witness-martin-harris?lang=eng

I'm not sure why Oliver lost his way and became a Methodist, but I'm glad he came back.  

I don't like that the latest book published by the church history dept says that David Whitmer doubted the Melchizedek priesthood ordination of Joseph Smith.  It's wrong that he turned on the church that way.

pg379 of Foundational Texts of Mormonism, "Gurley wrote that Whitmer told him: “I never heard that an angel had ordained Joseph and Oliver to the Aaronic priesthood until the year 1834[,] 5[,] or 6.”13 In other words, Whitmer believed that Joseph Smith made up the story in the mid-1830s; otherwise, Whitmer would undoubtedly have heard of it, given his early proximity to Smith."

The complete lack of any mention of John the Baptist nor the restoration of a Melchizedek priesthood before 1834 was a challenge for the editors of the Joseph Smith Papers, who ultimately decided to mostly ignore it in the introductory material rather than highlight the issue.

The reason Whitmer doubted it is because Joseph and Oliver apparently told nobody about it.

54 minutes ago, the narrator said:

The complete lack of any mention of John the Baptist nor the restoration of a Melchizedek priesthood before 1834 was a challenge for the editors of the Joseph Smith Papers, who ultimately decided to mostly ignore it in the introductory material rather than highlight the issue.

The reason Whitmer doubted it is because Joseph and Oliver apparently told nobody about it.

Also from pg387 Foundational Texts of Mormonism, Barney writes of the appearance of Jehovah, Moses, Elias1, and Elias2 on 3-April1836 that "There is no extant record indicating that he, or Oliver Cowdery for that matter, ever thereafter referred to the event, privately or publicly—although Smith’s clerks later used his journals to draft his history and included the journal account in the history".  Barney writes that it is important for believers to recognize Smith's "idiosyncratic disposition to conceal his personal experience with heaven".  

1 minute ago, blueglass said:

Also from pg387 Foundational Texts of Mormonism, Barney writes of the appearance of Jehovah, Moses, Elias1, and Elias2 on 3-April1836 that "There is no extant record indicating that he, or Oliver Cowdery for that matter, ever thereafter referred to the event, privately or publicly—although Smith’s clerks later used his journals to draft his history and included the journal account in the history".  Barney writes that it is important for believers to recognize Smith's "idiosyncratic disposition to conceal his personal experience with heaven".  

I think it's very understandable for Whitmer to think that these were later creations prompted by the incorporation of Rigdon's restoration theology, and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

5 minutes ago, the narrator said:

I think it's very understandable for Whitmer to think that these were later creations prompted by the incorporation of Rigdon's restoration theology, and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Yes, I suppose.  He really casts a lot of doubt on these angelic visitations.  Regarding the restoration of priesthood keys (sec110), David Whitmer says in The Des Moines Daily News, Oct. 16, 1886

"The great heavenly 'visitation,' which was alleged to have taken place in the temple at Kirtland, was a grand fizzle. The elders were assembled on the appointed day, which was promised would be a veritable day of Pentecost, but there was no visitation. No Peter, James and John; no Moses and Elias, put in an appearance. 'I was in my seat on that occasion,' says Mr. Whitmer, 'and I know that the story sensationally circulated, and which is now on the records of the Utah Mormons as an actual happening, was nothing but a trumped up yarn"

Maybe he was misquoted?  Or was this a tradition of the community of Christ (RLDS)?  It's unfortunate that Emma and Joseph's own surviving family doubted this crucial restoration of keys (3-April-1836).

14 hours ago, blueglass said:

I think the flaws in the individual Book of Mormon witnesses add credibility to the fact that they never denied their witness. If David Whitmer was pissed off at Joseph for this or that reason, and the testimony of the Nephite plates was a fraud, why would he maintain that fraud?

Edited by Scott Lloyd
On 2/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2019/02/witnesses.html

Being produced by the Interpreter Foundation with the involvement of some solid scholars, including the late Richard Lloyd Anderson. I’m excited for it. 

I wonder how Dr. Dan Peterson plans on making Oliver Cowdery a credible witness.

That will be interesting.

Dr. Peterson, being a co-founder of F.A.R.M.S., former ‘director’ of the Maxwell Institute and now founder and President of TheMormonInterpreter Foundation, all based on and promoting the dogma that the actual Hill Cumorah is somewhere in Mexico.

He and his promoted geography theory reject Oliver Cowdery’s statement about the Hill Cumorah being in New York as noted at JosephSmith papers. org

“At about one mile west rises another ridge of less height, running parallel with the former, leaving a beautiful vale between. The soil is of the first quality for the country, and under a state of cultivation, which gives a prospect at once imposing, when one reflects on the fact, that here, between these hills, the entire power and national strength of both the Jaredites and Nephites were destroyed.”

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper-summary/history-1834-1836/90

This same dogma claims that when Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery returned to the Hill Cumorah and it opened up and they walked into a cave, that Smith and Cowdery were hallucinating or having a vision of a cave in Mexico, because the account contradicts Dr. Peterson’s promoted geography theory. It’s summarized at FairMormon here: https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Question:_Is_there_a_cave_in_the_Hill_Cumorah_containing_the_Nephite_records%3F

This recent article at the Interpreter in the very first paragraph calls the Hill Cumorah in New York as the “Palmyra Hill.” What?

https://www.mormoninterpreter.com/the-geology-of-moronis-stone-box-examining-the-setting-and-resources-of-palmyra/

If Dr. Peterson and his organization can’t accept Oliver Cowdery’s statement of the location of the final Jaredite and Nephite battles being in New York, I don’t see him and his organization qualified to make a film about the Three Witnesses.

And don’t forget. Oliver Cowdery was an Apostle. And your Priesthood Line of Authority goes through him.

1 hour ago, Burnside said:

I wonder how Dr. Dan Peterson plans on making Oliver Cowdery a credible witness.

Dr. Peterson, being a co-founder of F.A.R.M.S., former ‘director’ of the Maxwell Institute and now founder and President of TheMormonInterpreter Foundation, all based on and promoting the dogma that the actual Hill Cumorah is somewhere in Mexico.

He and his promoted geography theory reject Oliver Cowdery’s statement about the Hill Cumorah being in New York as noted at JosephSmith papers. org

“At about one mile west rises another ridge of less height, running parallel with the former, leaving a beautiful vale between. The soil is of the first quality for the country, and under a state of cultivation, which gives a prospect at once imposing, when one reflects on the fact, that here, between these hills, the entire power and national strength of both the Jaredites and Nephites were destroyed.”

This same dogma claims that when Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery returned to the Hill Cumorah and it opened up and they walked into a cave, that Smith and Cowdery were hallucinating or having a vision of a cave in Mexico, because the account contradicts Dr. Peterson’s promoted geography theory. It’s summarized at FairMormon here: https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Question:_Is_there_a_cave_in_the_Hill_Cumorah_containing_the_Nephite_records%3F

This recent article at the Interpreter in the very first paragraph calls the Hill Cumorah in New York as the “Palmyra Hill.” What?

https://www.mormoninterpreter.com/the-geology-of-moronis-stone-box-examining-the-setting-and-resources-of-palmyra/

If Dr. Peterson and his organization can’t accept Oliver Cowdery’s statement of the location of the final Jaredite and Nephite battles being in New York, I don’t see him and his organization qualified to make a film about the Three Witnesses.

And don’t forget. Oliver Cowdery was an Apostle. And your Priesthood Line of Authority goes through him.

I smell a sock puppet.

1 hour ago, Burnside said:

The geography thread is <<<<<<< that way. You have a CFR to respond to or retract your words.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, the narrator said:

Its a good thing I was not involved in all of this.  My general disposition is to keep most important things that happen to me to myself.  If I saw John the baptist, I might wait 30 years before mentioning it.  I don't keep a journal and I even have told very little of my life to my wife and kids.  Not that I am ashamed of anything but simply I keep things to myself.

Edited by carbon dioxide
21 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

Its a good thing I was not involved in all of this.  My general disposition is to keep most important things that happen to me to myself.  If I saw John the baptist, I might wait 30 years before mentioning it.  I don't keep a journal and I even have told very little of my life to my wife and kids.  Not that I am ashamed of anything but simply I keep things to myself.

Indications are that Joseph Smith was of a similar disposition. Apparently, the now-canonized account of the First Vision was motivated by the need to debunk false rumors that had arisen regarding the Church (see Joseph Smith History 1:1).

When he returned home after his experience in the grove, he did not immediately tell his family what had happened. Instead, he demurred, saying to his mother, "Never mind, all is well -- I am well enough off. ... I have learned for myself that Presbyterianism is not true" (see Joseph Smith History 1:20).