9 hours ago, CA Steve said:

If you are going to quote me please do so accurately. Most of the text in your post ascribed to me was from another poster. Only a single line "When did they change the baptismal prayer?" was mine. Please edit your post to accurately reflect who said what.

See here.

I’m not sure what your beef is. It’s the board quote feature. 

8 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

The beef seems obvious. You quoted him as saying certain things he did not say. You can blame the board feature OR you could edit the post to be more accurate. There is also an edit feature :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

The beef seems obvious. You quoted him as saying certain things he did not say. You can blame the board feature OR you could edit the post to be more accurate. There is also an edit feature :) 

Thanks, Jack. I didn’t know that there was an edit feature. It was certainly unintentional.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:40 AM, HappyJackWagon said:

I don't know who recorded or released the info either, but Steve-o makes a good point. It very well could have been recorded for positive purposes, shared, with positive purpose and then taken from there by someone else to do the whole "crocodile man" thing (super weird).

It was intended to disparage from the get-go....it was planned days before the meeting. Serendipity for the kid.

Edited by Bernard Gui

23 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

And of course it's impossible to edit what's inside the quote, right?

23 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Why yes, Thinking. You, of course, are correct, as you always are. I bow down to you and hope to be correct half as often as you are.

16 minutes ago, Thinking said:

Did that already.

Edited by Bernard Gui

4 hours ago, Thinking said:

And that is against the rules....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Only if someone is altering what someone actually posted (adding words or deleting words from their direct quote), right?

That’s not what CA Steve was asking him to do.  Steve wanted the words that were not his separated out and it clarified they weren’t part of a direct quote from him (or just remove his name as being author of everything in the quote.). That editing should have been easy to do and not against board rules (as far as I know).

Edited by JulieM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JulieM said:

Only if someone is altering what someone actually posted (adding words or deleting words from their direct quote), right?

That’s not what CA Steve was asking him to do.  Steve wanted the words that were not his separated out and it clarified they weren’t part of a direct quote from him (or just remove his name as being author of everything in the quote.). That editing should have been easy to do and not against board rules (as far as I know).

Or adding a quote that didn't exist.

I vaguely remember the quote, sounds like it wasn't intentional, but BG wasn't aware he could add names to the quote.  I do agree that when combining quotes, making a list of comments, etc, it is polite and critical if the list is for the purpose of criticism to identify who said what so no one gets a wrong impression even if that is a lot of work because one doesn't know shortcuts.  I would assume it is against board rules as well since it would make it more than one or two steps to find who said what, especially once the thread is over a year and the search function won't work and therefore easily confused on who said what.

Best to use "quote selection" (similar to copy but it includes name and time stamp, etc ), imo, and keep each quote in a separate box.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

9 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Did that already.

The quote function is tricky at times. 

😛

You have to watch where the insertion point is when you are quoting multiple people or you end up with making it look like someone said something they did not as the above example shows. The first sentence in the quote above is from Bernard and the second one is from Calm. Since I did not move my insertion point out of the quote box from Bernard when I copied Calm's text into this post, it placed it within Bernard's quote.

Actually, once you get the hang of how it works, it is a great way to quote multiple people in the same thread.

• Like 2

Thanks.