Sign in to follow this  
poptart

Personal revelation.

Just realized that for the most part, I was more interested in what Christianity could do for me than actually being one.  That being said, I have no right to complain over how I was treated.  I do have to wonder just how many others look into Christianity for the same reasons I did.  Also props to the Mormons, they really were the nicest despite my angst.  The ones I did know would patiently listen to whatever I had to say and try to put a positive spin on it, have to admit the others would get uppity and angry fast, like there was no room at all for dialouge and/or discussion, I was a fool for accepting what they told me point blank, my own fault for really knowing little of how the religion works outside of reading books.  That being said, I really do wonder now just how low the LDS divorce rate is, I know the Catholic Church likes to claim they're the lowest, take their immigrant numbers out and just leave Anglo Americans and I think we'd get a better picture, supposedly they've lost more people than anyone.  Not trying to bash them or anyone, just a bit of food for thought on my part.  On a personal note, outside of say the Freemasons (who like you almost always get a bad rap), will say that I think, at least here stateside the LDS are one of the few religious organizations where anyone can go to a ward for help and more often than not someone will do something, at least what's within their own power.  I find it very funny that the other branches of the religion rip on the likes of you guys yet when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is, outside of the clergy the LDS laity does an insane amount of good even outside of their own people.

Oh, don't be so hard on other faiths.   Often pastors are working at a regular job in addition to what goes on at the church, and often their funds and membership (neither of which is centralized and grown in the same way the restored church of Jesus Christ does) are pretty limited.    I'd guess that as a rule, non lds churches do as much as they can for the children of God.

I know of no central compilation of statistics in the US that identifies divorce rates by faith (and it would be kind of silly wouldn't it since, the benefit of religious faith are not in the formal membership, but in someone's relationship to God and doing good after all, isn't it?)   And also how would one know whether the divorce was because of faith or because of lack of living faith --- assuming faith was the only thing that matter?    Having said that, I have read that we have a 28 or so percentage of divorces, and catholics a 24% in 2015 (from widely separated statistical collection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpn said:

Oh, don't be so hard on other faiths.   Often pastors are working at a regular job in addition to what goes on at the church, and often their funds and membership (neither of which is centralized and grown in the same way the restored church of Jesus Christ does) are pretty limited.    I'd guess that as a rule, non lds churches do as much as they can for the children of God.

I know of no central compilation of statistics in the US that identifies divorce rates by faith (and it would be kind of silly wouldn't it since, the benefit of religious faith are not in the formal membership, but in someone's relationship to God and doing good after all, isn't it?)   And also how would one know whether the divorce was because of faith or because of lack of living faith --- assuming faith was the only thing that matter?    Having said that, I have read that we have a 28 or so percentage of divorces, and catholics a 24% in 2015 (from widely separated statistical collection.

Actually, no people should be hard on them.  Many of them ride off the coattails of previous generations and contribute little to the pot.  Back in the day churches were the ones you went to for help, they also upheld their end of the social contract by enforcing more accountability from their people.  There's a reason why so many people, esp millenial men don't bother with organized religion, the ROI sucks.  Like a lot of people Christians have a bad rep for screwing people out of lucrative employment then almost instantly quoting from their holy text things such as i'm not perfect, just forgiven.  Meanwhile the people they damage are left holding the bag with no compensation from the offending party whatsoever. 

Actually, there is.  Pew research does some.

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/marital-status/divorcedseparated/

I disagree with you 100%, the whole relationship is more along the lines of the contemporary, American liberal take on religon.  All that matters is my relationship, my responsibility to others is negotiable.  Faith without works is dead and that's the problem with people nowadays, they want something for nothing.  Christianity is still the defacto religion in the USA and in some places in the USA not having the right one can cost you.  Think what really bothers me is how Christianity is shirking many of the things they used to do, they don't help the poor as much, they don't do prison ministry as much and there are still churches out there that will not let felons and minorities in.  In response, Pagan/Neo Pagan groups have skyrocketed, there are now more wIccans in the USA than Presbyterians. 

https://www.newsweek.com/witchcraft-wiccans-mysticism-astrology-witches-millennials-pagans-religion-1221019

This has caught the eyes of some popular theologians out there who as always address the symptoms and not the root cause.  No one wants to acknowledge the 800 pound gorilla in the room, poor behavior, marginalizing as well as persecution of groups such as the LGBT community via prop 8 has made a lot of people just hate you guys with a passion.  When your on that fringe you have little to gain from Christianity esp. if you've been stepped on enough and judged.  When another group comes along that doesn't judge you and has members who will unite quickly to fight priveleged groups like Christianity, big suprise they're going to be popular especially now that there is no forced/violent penalty for not being a Christian, at least one in public.  You can't have your cake and eat it too, if you won't walk the walk like previous generations did your going to end up with millions of people at your doorstep just like there were at the LA temple years ago.  You can go on about this being the end times all you like too, you'll end up like the Christians did during the 30 years war, having to either be adults and compremise or end up with a populace that does everything in your power to do you in.  The whole we have the truth because we're being persecuted line doesn't hold up, Christians like anyone else cave all the time when they know they're outnumbered, they converted to islam when their countries were taken over and they also changed their doctorine to suit whatever political circumstances they found themselves in.  That being said, have to give the LDS church credit there, they've atleast tried to build bridges, think it was elder Holland to told people to not be mean to LGBT folk.  Far as I can tell, he's one of the few to actually put his money where his mouth is, coming from someone with that much clout in your religion, that's pretty amazing.