Jump to content
tulip

Friends of Scouting in church today

Recommended Posts

The Stake Presidency was pushing Friends of Scouting today for 5 minutes after Sacrament meeting.   Once again they told us we are not following prophet if we don't donate.  

Share this post


Link to post

You have GOT to be kidding me.   What did they say exactly?  I mean it's easy to go hyperbole here, but just in case, I'm curious.
I quit donating because I see nothing wrong with having an exclusive male group for young boys.  I disapprove heavily of them caving to social pressure to bring girls in.

Share this post


Link to post

very sore subject if you are in the bishopric.  we are required to offer each family to have the opportunity.  I wasn't planning on donating, which will be the first time.  

Share this post


Link to post

Just prior to the beginning of gospel doctrine class beginning, a member of the bishopric announced that it was time for Friends of Scouting for the last time. Please give as generously as always and then stated he would pass it around the class for those seeking to donate. As the teacher, I never saw it and don't know how it was received. I did get one comment from a member who stated, "not on your life."  No drama, no pressure. Done. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They gave us the donation pamplet as we walked into sacrament meeting.   Then they put the leaders at the door to collect the donation pamplet after the meeting was over.   The stake presidency counselor told us all the funds stay in the council(which is a lie).   They then read off the First Presidency announcement about Scouting until 2020.  He then told us we are not following the prophet if we don't donate.   They did the same thing last year.   It really ruins the mood after Sacrament meeting.

Edited by tulip

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

Just prior to the beginning of gospel doctrine class beginning, a member of the bishopric announced that it was time for Friends of Scouting for the last time. Please give as generously as always and then stated he would pass it around the class for those seeking to donate. As the teacher, I never saw it and don't know how it was received. I did get one comment from a member who stated, "not on your life."  No drama, no pressure. Done. 

This pretty much tracks my experience as well - only we did it last week at the beginning of EQ. A member of the bishopric announced that we are still participating in scouting this year and that we should give generously, just as we have in previous years. No guilt or pressure. It was more of a 'let's finish strong / go out on a high note' kind of thing. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They just announced a meeting to discuss it. I would not be at all surprised if I have some urgent business to take care of in the clerk’s office and sadly cannot make it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

In our ward/stake there was very little pressure last year... certainly not like there has been in years past.  But I am surprised to even see it this year.  I thought we would have dropped it now.

 

Share this post


Link to post

We've talked about it in Ward Council in my ward a few months ago, with the bishop and young men's president reminding us that we are supposed to support scouts financially the same this year as any other year, but that's all that has been said about it so far.  

Share this post


Link to post

I have never once donated anything to the scouts.

I turned down a calling to be the scouting fundraiser last year. I told the bishopric member why.

No repercussions

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The prophet has essentially asked us to support scouting.  In the announcement of the change, the church promised to fully support scouts until December 2019.    Personally, given its value in serving young people, I'm going to continue contributing to FOS after December 2019, and I hope to find a troop for my granddaughters and grandsons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/3/2019 at 9:33 PM, tulip said:

They gave us the donation pamplet as we walked into sacrament meeting.   Then they put the leaders at the door to collect the donation pamplet after the meeting was over.   The stake presidency counselor told us all the funds stay in the council(which is a lie).   They then read off the First Presidency announcement about Scouting until 2020.  He then told us we are not following the prophet if we don't donate.   They did the same thing last year.   It really ruins the mood after Sacrament meeting.

I am surprised they would do it this way. Ignoring the pressure problems with this -  even if I wanted to donate it is unlikely that I would have anything to give. I rarely have cash and don't carry checks. A lot of people won't have room in their budget till the next payday. So you will have a few people donating out of pressure, but many people not donating because people don't plan to be hit up for FOS and donate at sacrament meeting. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, rpn said:

The prophet has essentially asked us to support scouting.  In the announcement of the change, the church promised to fully support scouts until December 2019.    Personally, given its value in serving young people, I'm going to continue contributing to FOS after December 2019, and I hope to find a troop for my granddaughters and grandsons.

My support this year will be a nice prayer. There...done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/3/2019 at 9:33 PM, tulip said:

They then read off the First Presidency announcement about Scouting until 2020.  He then told us we are not following the prophet if we don't donate.   

I suppose it's worth the effort to see if dude is right or not.  Does anyone have this link?  Here's what I found.  

Quote

As announced publicly today in a joint statement with the Boy Scouts of America, effective on December 31, 2019, the Church will conclude its relationship as a chartered organization with all Scouting programs around the world. Until then, the intention of the Church is to remain a fully engaged partner in Scouting for boys and young men ages 8–13. All youth, families and leaders are encouraged to continue their active participation and financial support of Scouting until that date.

So yeah, if I don't donate, I'll be failing to follow some encouragement given by the prophet.  Doesn't sound as bad when you add the "e" word in there...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

I suppose it's worth the effort to see if dude is right or not.  Does anyone have this link?  Here's what I found.  

So yeah, if I don't donate, I'll be failing to follow some encouragement given by the prophet.  Doesn't sound as bad when you add the "e" word in there...

I am continuing to donate at the level I always have.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×