Seriously No Politics ×

What is the Good News?

1 hour ago, Rivers said:

This was the topic of the the latest Mormon Matters podcast.

https://www.mormonmatters.org/podcast-item/532-what-is-the-good-news-jesus-taught-part-1/

I thought I’d pose the question here.  What exactly is the gospel or “good news” that Christ brings?

That we are immortal beings and through him can overcome death and are capable of becoming gods drenched in joy from all eternity to all eternity.

Edited by The Nehor
1 hour ago, Rivers said:

This was the topic of the the latest Mormon Matters podcast.

https://www.mormonmatters.org/podcast-item/532-what-is-the-good-news-jesus-taught-part-1/

I thought I’d pose the question here.  What exactly is the gospel or “good news” that Christ brings?

I would answer that Jesus overcame sin and death for us, and provided the way for us to become righteous and immortal (exalted).

5 hours ago, Rivers said:

.............................. What exactly is the gospel or “good news” that Christ brings?

One might want to start with the four so-called "Gospels":  According to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  One could also read the LDS Gospel Topics essay on the "Gospel" online at https://www.lds.org/topics/gospel?lang=eng .

According to non-Mormon scholar Robert Fisher, the “central core” of the message of Deutero-Isaiah “is the proclamation of the ultimate good news [Gospel] of exiled Israel’s imminent deliverance and the inauguration of the eschatological reign of God.”[1]  The herald of good tidings in Isaiah 40:9, for example (cf. 41:27, 52:7), is called in Hebrew mebaśśer(et), the only form in which this root occurs in 2nd Isaiah.  The Latin Vulgate and Jerome translated it into Greek evangelizas, while the Targum for 40:9 has Aramaic (d)bsryn “good tidings, gospel.”  The evangelist or herald (mebaśśer) receives his call in the Divine Council and is the means whereby YHWH delivers the good news and inaugurates the new age – the herald brings the good news of YHWH’s coming.  He is both bearer of the message of salvation, and the bringer of salvation (cf. Romans 10:15, Acts 11:22, 13:32, 2 Samuel 4:4).[2]

The Prophet Abinadi encapsulates the Gospel message at Mosiah 15:18, as an interpretation of Isaiah 52:7,

O how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings,
that is the founder of peace,
yea, even the Lord, who has redeemed his people;
yea, him who has granted salvation unto his people;

[1] Robert W. Fisher, “The Herald of Good News in Second Isaiah,” in Jared J. Jackson & Martin Kessler, eds., Rhetorical Criticism: Essays in Honor of James Muilenburg, Pittsburgh Theological Monograph Series 1 (Pittsburgh: Pickwick, 1974), 117; cf. Allan A. MacRae, The Gospel of Isaiah (Chicago: Moody Press, 1977/ reprint Interdisciplinary Biblical Research, 1992); Hugh Nibley, “Prophets and Glad Tidings,” chapter 30 in Nibley, The World and the Prophets, 3rd ed., CWHN 3 (FARMS/Deseret, 1987), 259-267.

[2] Cf. H. Nibley in Ensign, 6/7 (July 1976):68, on the “perennial gospel”; James Barr, Semantics of Biblical Language, 159 n. 1, on Gospel; 140, on kerygma “preaching of the great events of the Gospel, proclamation of them.”

2 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

One might want to start with the four so-called "Gospels":  According to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  One could also read the LDS Gospel Topics essay on the "Gospel" online at https://www.lds.org/topics/gospel?lang=eng .

According to non-Mormon scholar Robert Fisher, the “central core” of the message of Deutero-Isaiah “is the proclamation of the ultimate good news [Gospel] of exiled Israel’s imminent deliverance and the inauguration of the eschatological reign of God.”[1]  The herald of good tidings in Isaiah 40:9, for example (cf. 41:27, 52:7), is called in Hebrew mebaśśer(et), the only form in which this root occurs in 2nd Isaiah.  The Latin Vulgate and Jerome translated it into Greek evangelizas, while the Targum for 40:9 has Aramaic (d)bsryn “good tidings, gospel.”  The evangelist or herald (mebaśśer) receives his call in the Divine Council and is the means whereby YHWH delivers the good news and inaugurates the new age – the herald brings the good news of YHWH’s coming.  He is both bearer of the message of salvation, and the bringer of salvation (cf. Romans 10:15, Acts 11:22, 13:32, 2 Samuel 4:4).[2]

The Prophet Abinadi encapsulates the Gospel message at Mosiah 15:18, as an interpretation of Isaiah 52:7,

[1] Robert W. Fisher, “The Herald of Good News in Second Isaiah,” in Jared J. Jackson & Martin Kessler, eds., Rhetorical Criticism: Essays in Honor of James Muilenburg, Pittsburgh Theological Monograph Series 1 (Pittsburgh: Pickwick, 1974), 117; cf. Allan A. MacRae, The Gospel of Isaiah (Chicago: Moody Press, 1977/ reprint Interdisciplinary Biblical Research, 1992); Hugh Nibley, “Prophets and Glad Tidings,” chapter 30 in Nibley, The World and the Prophets, 3rd ed., CWHN 3 (FARMS/Deseret, 1987), 259-267.

[2] Cf. H. Nibley in Ensign, 6/7 (July 1976):68, on the “perennial gospel”; James Barr, Semantics of Biblical Language, 159 n. 1, on Gospel; 140, on kerygma “preaching of the great events of the Gospel, proclamation of them.”

This all sounds like the Second Coming rather than the first.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:27 PM, Rivers said:

What exactly is the gospel or “good news” that Christ brings?

The Good News, at it's most basic form, appeals to people who honestly don't know, or have several conflicting news sources:
- There is indeed a sovereign power running the universe.  And it's not a fickle, jealous, evil, or indifferent power.  It is a loving father.
- He has a plan for each of us individually, and it's a good plan for us.
- The Bible and BoM are exactly what they claim to be, best sources of real good news.
- The church and it's prophets are exactly what they claim to be too, live and continuing sources of this real good news.

I would say the good news is right there in John 3:16.  But I think the first part of the verse is the most important.  “For God so loved the world.”  The totality of Christ’s birth,  life, and death sends the message to us that God loves us.  We are valuable and precious enough to God that He sacrificed His Son for us.

A good place to find it is in 3 Nephi:
“Behold I have given unto you my gospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you—that I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me.” (3 Nephi 27: 13)

The Savior then reviewed for the Nephites the facts of the Atonement, including the need to repent, be baptized, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. (See 3 Ne. 27:13-22.) This Christ's own definition of the Gospel.
It is the "good news" that He came to tell everyone about.