Sign in to follow this  
Jean-Luc Picard

90% of Utah legislature in the Church (according to AP article)

I tend to be fairly moderate, I am registered as a democrat in Utah. When I lived back east, I registered as Republican. I have had some friends express frustration that the Utah legislature is close to 90% LDS. They feel that the Church is over representing the population, especially in Salt Lake County.

I am not that upset about it. I recognize that Utah would be conservative whether it was dominant LDS or not. I have lived in other conservative states (Arizona, Eastern Washington, and Texas). I am much more concerned with their legislature than I am about Utah's. This was especially true in Arizona, I saw some of the most shortsighted and blatantly racist legislation. I also saw some of the dumbest and most dogmatic policies coming out of Tucson (all city council members and mayor are democrats). in general, too much of one party can cause major problems. Utah seems to be a little of an outlier. 

I actually see the Church as a moderating force in the conservative community. Extremes on both ends seem to be frowned upon in the Church. We all know the guy in the ward that spouts crazy political stuff, or the lady that subtlety lets us know what her extreme positions are. They rarely rise in Church leadership, they make too many waves. The days of John Birch Society in the Church seem to be ending.

I think the same thing is happening in Utah politics. Sure, the general approach to things is conservative, but at least it tends to be a little more thoughtful and at least they try to have some evidence for what they are doing. Even the new .05 blood alcohol bill is founded in studies from safety advocates and European countries. 

The Church has made some changes to propositions, but the changes are somewhat reasonable and try not to swing too far to the right. I think the Church got burned so bad on Prop 8 and the Kitchen v. Herbert ruling really surprised them. I think their new end game is to make more friends than enemies. The 2015 anti-discrimination bill seems to evidence of this approach.

The Federation learned this lesson too, Klingons make better allies than enemies even if you don't necessarily like it. Whatcha think?

Equating nonmembers to Klingons might be going a bit far.

Btw, Social Hall is for nondebate...when you get to 25 posts you can put up topics in the main discussion forum.  You might get banned if you do controversial subjects in here.

Edited by Calm

35 minutes ago, Calm said:

Equating nonmembers to Klingons might be going a bit far.

Btw, Social Hall is for nondebate...when you get to 25 posts you can put up topics in the main discussion forum.  You might get banned if you do controversial subjects in here.

I was wondering what the magic number was.

25 really? You do realize I am a captain of a galaxy class starship

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Picard said:

I tend to be fairly moderate, I am registered as a democrat in Utah. When I lived back east, I registered as Republican. I have had some friends express frustration that the Utah legislature is close to 90% LDS. They feel that the Church is over representing the population, especially in Salt Lake County....................................

That's gerrymandering for you.

• Like 1

Do we have any numbers on percentage of candidates that are Latter-day Saints vs. those that get elected?

5 hours ago, mapman said:

Do we have any numbers on percentage of candidates that are Latter-day Saints vs. those that get elected?

When the districts are carefully gerrymandered, it doesn't matter what the overall percentages are.

10 hours ago, Jean-Luc Picard said:

I was wondering what the magic number was.

25 really? You do realize I am a captain of a galaxy class starship

Until you got it blown up in a battle with an obsolete bird of prey. I do not know how you retained your command after that debacle. ;) 

• Like 3