Sign in to follow this  
Hamilton Porter

Mormon Stories trying to expand its market.

https://www.mormonstories.org/truthclaims/

Lets give Dehlin's salary a boost, shall we?

• Like 1

I wonder what the contents of these thoroughly researched essays will be like.

As few today can dedicate hundreds of hours to navigating countless websites, books, blogs and private chat groups, our intent is to aggregate the fruits of our labors into a single place – to share the answers we found. This project attempts to honor, stand beside, and build upon the incredible resources already created to explore Mormonism, including: UT Lighthouse Ministry, MormonThink, CES Letter, and Letter for my Wife.

Oh, wait ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I wonder what the contents of these thoroughly researched essays will be like.

Oh, wait ...

The intent will be to author the essays that should have been released by the LDS Church; essays that are accurate and robust, yet succinct in length.”

If the model is from the examples cited, I am not hopeful for any of the above. 

The original author of these essays has voluntarily donated their writings to this project, continues to edit/refine/write for this project directly, and does not seek attribution at this time.  As soon as this situation changes, full attribution will be happily given to the original author.

hmm....

• Like 1

and Bill's "soiled opinions" I mean "solid opinions" you can be a titanium supporter for as high as $1500 a year and as low as $1000 or you could be a premium subscriber for as low as $3 a month! 

5 hours ago, Nevo said:

That part sounds about right.

The best way to make people apostate is to dumb it down as much as possible.

5 hours ago, Nevo said:

What makes you think Dehlin is trying to make money from this?

image.thumb.png.c8f2f8045be53c9cf8a9f55e4cc90979.png

I wouldn't say those donate buttons are his main source of income from this. Businesses need growth to survive, and they need to create more ex-Mormons to grow.

9 hours ago, Nevo said:

What makes you think Dehlin is trying to make money from this?

image.thumb.png.c8f2f8045be53c9cf8a9f55e4cc90979.png

Lots of “donate” boxes on there...think he’ll be 100% open and transparent with his finances?  You know, show the church how it’s done?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Lots of “donate” boxes on there...think he’ll be 100% open and transparent with his finances?  You know, show the church how it’s done?

Yes.  OSF publishes its finances on their website for all to review.  They have for many years. 

Deleted.  Too snarky - sorry. 

Edited by rockpond
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Yes.  OSF publishes its finances on their website for all to review.  They have for many years. 

Meh.  How can I trust that those are accurate records though?  I need to have personal access and see for myself 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nevo said:

That part sounds about right.

What's the issue here?  Sounds precisely what the Church essays are, or the new history book that came out this past year.  Sounds like he's trying to compete with the simplistic narrative approach the Church has taken.

2 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Meh.  How can I trust that those are accurate records though?  I need to have personal access and see for myself 

How could you possibly care?  I doubt you donate and that which you likely donate to--the Church, is nowhere near financially transparent.  So why be concerned about him, if you seemingly donate to the Church who is not transparent?  Is it that you are just upset that he doesn't like that the Church is not transparent?  

1 minute ago, stemelbow said:

How could you possibly care?  I doubt you donate and that which you likely donate to--the Church, is nowhere near financially transparent.  So why be concerned about him, if you seemingly donate to the Church who is not transparent?  Is it that you are just upset that he doesn't like that the Church is not transparent?  

Right...how could I possibly care if I don’t donate...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SteveO said:

They are there for you to review and ask questions.  The Church’s financials records are not. 

Go ahead and take a look and then tell us which parts you question. 

Edited by rockpond

2 minutes ago, rockpond said:

They are there for you to review and ask questions.  The Church’s financials records are not. 

Go ahead and take a look and then tell us which parts you question. 

I want to know why he isn’t donating enough to charity and the poor

10 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Right...how could I possibly care if I don’t donate...

Yep.  Why care?  it seems you already donate to that which is not transparent.  When he shows at least some semblance of transparency somehow it matters enough to you to question whether he's really transparent.  It seems pretty silly.  

9 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I want to know why he isn’t donating enough to charity and the poor

If you are a donor, you should ask.  Are you?

6 minutes ago, rockpond said:

If you are a donor, you should ask.  Are you?

Well no, but they should still probably spend more money on charity.  It’s a big concern of mine.  I don’t actually DO anything about it, but I do like pointing out where other people fail in their Christlike actions.

1 minute ago, SteveO said:

Well no, but they should still probably spend more money on charity.  It’s a big concern of mine.  I don’t actually DO anything about it, but I do like pointing out where other people fail in their Christlike actions.

Rather shallow.  And, if you aren't a donor, it really isn't any of your business.

12 minutes ago, rockpond said:

And, if you aren't a donor, it really isn't any of your business.

That IS a good point isn’t it?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, juliann said:

That is actually kind of funny. So let the Mormons produce the scholarship while he does the hard job of correlating the untrained amateurs. 

I know one person who has been hired to write some of these. That person is academically trained and well qualified to write those they are doing (and I think would do a good job at it).

• Like 2

Dehlin will have to find a way to make his content more interesting, as everything he’s done in recent years sounds like a broken record. What he’s gotten out of it is epitomized by his benefactors’ having funded his PhD, as he self-identifies as “Doctor” at every turn now. (It certainly makes him sound more authoritative ... well, sort of.) I guess there are worse career paths than to.be the Jerald Tanner of the cyber age, but it’s still sort of a boutique job niche.

Edited by esodije
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, SteveO said:

That IS a good point isn’t it?

:lol: