Thinking

Is anybody math checking Bednar?

In the video Bednar states...

Today we are standing in front of the Mamertine Prison in Rome, Italy. It is believed by many that this dungeon prison is the place where the ancient apostles Peter and Paul were held captive for publicly declaring their witnesses of the Lord Jesus Christ. Now more than 2,000 years later, we are privileged to stand here as modern-day apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and we delight in bearing our testimony of Him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Peter and Paul were imprisoned after Christ's crucifixion (AD 33).

2019 - 33 = 1986

Apparently Bednar gets his inequality symbols mixed up. He should have said "Now almost 2,000 years later..."

• Like 1

I realized it was all wrong when the Patriarch misspelled my name on my blessing.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I realized it was all wrong when the Patriarch misspelled my name on my blessing.

You did remember to bring him the venison and cover your arms in lambs wool, didn't you?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

You did remember to bring him the venison and cover your arms in lambs wool, didn't you?

That is why the patriarch did not leave me anything in his will? Even though he was a distant cousin. :( 

9 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yessir, but the problem is much more far reaching than that, and it infests the notes accompanying our Scriptures and the commentaries which discuss them.  Nearly all of them get the first year of the reign of King Zedekiah wrong, likewise the date of the birth of Jesus, and the date of Jesus' death.  You, for example, follow erroneous sources in assigning the Crucifixion to AD 33.  This is a problem endemic to modern Mormon LDS culture.  The just published Study Book of Mormon put out by the Maxwell Institute likewise gets the date of Crucifixion wrong, but is simultaneously right and wrong on the date of Zedekiah's first year (saying correctly 597 BC on page 6note, and 600 BC on page 606).

Just following Joseph Smith's math.

The rise of the Church of Christ in these last days, being one thousand eight hundred and thirty years since the coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the flesh, it being regularly organized and established agreeable to the laws of our country, by the will and commandments of God, in the fourth month, and on the sixth day of the month which is called April—  D&C 20:1

45 minutes ago, Thinking said:

Joseph Smith did not write that part. Nor did God inspire it. Don’t tell anyone. It is a secret. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Thinking said:

Apparently Bednar gets his inequality symbols mixed up. He should have said "Now almost 2,000 years later..."

Not if he's talking about dog years. It's definitely more than 2,000 dog years later. 

1 hour ago, Thinking said:

Nehor is correct.  That is a conventionalized blurb added by a scribe later.  It isn't part of the revelation.

27 minutes ago, cinepro said:

That is appalling.  I demand nothing less than a 3-hour podcast discussing this issue.

Agreed, and then I want a list a list of everyone who helped create it or willingly listened to the whole thing. Then I want everyone on that list humanely euthanized. It is the compassionate thing to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amulek said:

Not if he's talking about dog years. It's definitely more than 2,000 dog years later. 

I guess it only follows that ridiculous criticism deserves ridiculous apologetics... :)

"Dog years" has always been a pet peeve of mine. We calculate years to the orbit of the earth around the sun, but in calculating the years of other animals like dogs and cats, we make ourselves the center of the universe and calculate their years in relation to human development.   Typical egocentric humanism, where man is the measure!

Edited by pogi
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, cinepro said:

That is appalling.  I demand nothing less than a 3-hour podcast discussing this issue.

:rofl: And then all the podheads on this forum can scold the rest of us for not listening ...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cinepro said:

Haven't podcasts been reduced to two hours as well now?

• Like 3

Testimony ... shattered

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

That is why the patriarch did not leave me anything in his will? Even though he was a distant cousin. :( 

Yeh, you and Simonds Rider, er Symonds Ryder.

Maybe he meant 2000 years after the prisons were built? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Maybe he meant 2000 years after the prisons were built? 

Apparently constructed around 600 BC, so probably not...though accurate.  More likely to say more than 2500 years later?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamertine_Prison

I think he just got "more than" mixed up with "almost".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yessir, but the problem is much more far reaching than that, and it infests the notes accompanying our Scriptures and the commentaries which discuss them.  Nearly all of them get the first year of the reign of King Zedekiah wrong, likewise the date of the birth of Jesus, and the date of Jesus' death.  You, for example, follow erroneous sources in assigning the Crucifixion to AD 33.  This is a problem endemic to modern Mormon LDS culture.  The just published Study Book of Mormon put out by the Maxwell Institute likewise gets the date of Crucifixion wrong, but is simultaneously right and wrong on the date of Zedekiah's first year (saying correctly 597 BC on page 6note, and wrongly 600 BC on page 606).

If you think substituting "LDS" for "Mormon" gets you off the hook, you're mistaken.