Ever since I was a boy I was told that herbal teas were not included in the teas proscribed by the word of wisdom.

do we have any specific instructions on whether that’s accurate or what qualifies as herbal?

Yes, herbal teas are ok.  My personal favorite is ganja tea 😁

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 9:16 PM, Avatar4321 said:

Which ones are considered herbal?

Is it really that difficult to look something up on Wikipedia?

Herbal teas—less commonly[1] called tisanes (UK and US /tɪˈzæn/, US also /tɪˈzɑːn/)[2]—are beverages made from the infusion or decoction of herbsspices, or other plant material in hot water. They do not usually contain caffeine.[3] Herbal teas should not be confused with true teas (e.g., blackgreenwhiteyellowoolong), which are prepared from the cured leaves of the tea plant, Camellia sinensis), nor with decaffeinated tea, in which the caffeine has been removed. Like beverages made from true teas, herbal teas can be served hot or cold.”

I would condense that by saying that herbal tea, so called, is a beverage that is not true tea. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1

Herbal tea is gross. Why is the good stuff always forbidden? :( 

• Like 1

Quick poll: which of us pronounce the "H" in the word ' herbal ' or ' herbs ' ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

:good: I do!

7 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

You're drinking the wrong kind ...

One of my office mates recently introduced me to Korean 'honey and citron tea'. (It's imported, so that's actually what it says on the label.) It's basically a citron marmalade that one dissolves in water. So good!

Generally the Word of Wisdom says we should not take hot drinks in to our bodies which has been interpreted by church leaders as  coffee and tea and that's about it. What we include in that definition is up to us.  Also the Church has said the following in a letter:
"the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided." (Letter from D. O. McKay, H. B. Brown, N. E. Tanner, The First Presidency, 1968)

So this might include anything that one might acquire a habit for drinking such as caffeinated drinks, which would include black tea. Any herbal teas would be OK.
We drank them all the time on my mission. Not sure why you are asking what herbal is. Herbal is herbal. Black tea is not made from herbs.

Just now, JAHS said:

Herbal is herbal. Black tea is not made from herbs.

The tea plant gives us many teas: black tea, green tea, jasmine tea, white tea, oolong tea, chai, iced tea, etc.

49 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Hibiscus is decent (very tasty even after sitting overnight unlike most infusions, great for dealing with morning dragon mouth), has a strong enough flavour and doesn't taste like dirt.  Better on its own rather than in Red Zinger, imo.  I think agave is tastier as a sweetener than either sugar or honey.

Edited by Calm

43 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

50/50 depending on whether I am thinking it ("erbal") or reading it (herbal).

1 minute ago, Calm said:

Hibiscus is decent, has a strong enough flavour and doesn't taste like dirt.  

I don't like floral flavours (including that abomination, Turkish 'delight'!). When I lived in Indonesia, one of my favourites was Jahi Wangi (literally 'fragrant ginger'). It's sweet and spicy and contains just three ingredients: sugar, ginger and sea salt.

53000f697a2eb_266275b.jpg

Note that the Indonesian word for tea, teh, occurs nowhere on the packaging because the product is not made from tea. I've occasionally seen this sold in export shops as 'ginger tea'. English is so confusing!

• Like 1

Ginger is good as well.  I don't usually think of it as herbal, but a spice.  I get my drinkable version usually in a packet from the local Asian store with a honey/sugar addition I just dump in hot water.  The American made ginger teas are too weak and get too bitter if I steep it longer for more flavour.  However, my favorite is using fresh ginger for the bite and lots of it.

Latest go to winter craving...mandarin oranges, whipping cream, and the refrigerated ginger paste I find at Walmart and a touch of agave and maybe vanilla.  

Looking forward to spring this year when it goes back to spicier cravings again.  Then it will be ginger stir fry with roasted sesame oil.

I will look for that in my store as they have a number of foods from Indonesia, looks like I can get it on Amazon if not there.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Calm said:

However, my favorite is using fresh ginger for the bite and lots of it.

When I was working in the Caribbean, an elderly sister in our branch brought several jugs of her homemade ginger beer to every baptism. So good! I'd have dragon steam coming out of my nose. I think the vapours could have stripped paint.

Which reminds me that I need to get busy on my home brew before the weather turns cold again ...

• Like 1

Give me a good recipe for ginger beer...most here are so weak and sweet.

52 minutes ago, Calm said:

Give me a good recipe for ginger beer...most here are so weak and sweet.

I'll PM you later!

Edited by Hamba Tuhan

Thank you!

2 hours ago, strappinglad said:

It’s pronounced “herb,” Herb.

Edited by Bernard Gui

44 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I'm PM you later!

Me too, please.

I like Brigham tea. http://www.herballegacy.com/Brigham_Tea.html  

My mother always had a nice cold pitcher of sagebrush tea in the fridge. It was a pioneer remedy made by boiling sagebrush leaves and stems that cured just about everything from acne to a bad attitude. I had to drink a glassful every day. No cream or sugar. http://www.angelfire.com/art/nativeherb/sagebrush.html

Sagebrush has bacteriostatic, astringent, and antioxidant properties. Sagebrush kills bacteria, inhibits free radicals, and has anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic actions, and so is most useful as a cleansing first aid wash for disinfecting wounds and skin irritations. The Hopi used a tea made from the leaves as a medicine for digestive problems, headaches and colds. It is used for similar medicinal purposes by the Navajo, and for the making of a yellow dye for weavers. The leaves can be very useful in the kitchen as a means of protecting stored dried food from insects and rodents.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

It was a pioneer remedy made by boiling sagebrush leaves and stems that cured just about everything from acne to a bad attitude.

I'm thinking my attitude would improve if I was told that the alternative was drinking sagebrush tea.

• Like 2