Seriously No Politics ×

Herbal teas

8 minutes ago, Calm said:

Still love nutmeg, add fresh ground to milk with a touch of vanilla for a midnight snack.  Warm it up if I want it really relaxing.

I do this too! Except I also use a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of allspice with the nutmeg and vanilla. And if I want it a bit sweeter (milk is usually sweet enough!), I'll add a pinch of raw sugar.

3 hours ago, pogi said:

With the price of insulin surging to unaffordable limits, that may not be long... Just sayin'

If I were dictator I would give the pharmaceuticals industry one year to knock their prices down from their years of ridiculous annual double digit percentage price increases. If they do not comply I would start nationalizing them.

40 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

What will the ingredients list read?

I don't know why you're so invested in confusing this point. If there's tea in your 'tea', then it's tea.

I have a vague memory of a product in America that looks like chewing tobacco and even comes in tins like chewing tobacco, but it's really finely shredded dried meat. If there's tobacco in your chew, then it's tobacco. If there's no tobacco in your chew, then it's not.

ETA: Found it!

JL_BF_ORIG_CHEW_EACH_HR.png

But herbal tea is tea too, at least according to the dictionary. So your made up standard is as good as mine :)

5 minutes ago, Gray said:

But herbal tea is tea too, at least according to the dictionary. So your made up standard is as good as mine :)

And according to Merriam Webster, jerky chew is chew too (and the label agrees):

chew

noun

Definition of chew (Entry 2 of 2)

1: the act of chewing
2: something for chewing

But there's a plant called tobacco, and if your chew doesn't have any tobacco in it, then it isn't tobacco. And there's a plant called the tea plant, and if your tea doesn't have any part of the tea plant in it, then it isn't tea. I know you want this to be hard for some reason, but it takes intentional mental acrobatics to get there.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
6 minutes ago, Gray said:

Herbal tea is not true tea. The only true tea comes from the tea plant. Peppermint is not the tea plant. Neither is sagebrush. Or rose hips. (Did you not read the Wikipedia passage I quoted earlier?)

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I do this too! Except I also use a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of allspice with the nutmeg and vanilla. And if I want it a bit sweeter (milk is usually sweet enough!), I'll add a pinch of raw sugar.

We are so decadent.

3 hours ago, Gray said:

If I can find some company to relabel some Earl Grey tea as "English Comfort Beverage" will that make it kosher?

What do Jewish dietary laws have to do with it?

Yes, I know the word ‘kosher’ has been co-opted to mean something other than its true meaning of having to do with keeping the laws of kashrut (which, as a former Orthodox Jew, I am very familiar with), but a ridiculous question does not deserve a serious answer.

Even after eight years in the church, I am still amazed at how church critics cant wait to jump at any excuse to belittle the church and its members. 

Yerba mate or chuchupate anyone?

3 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Nope! I don't recognise the second one, but my understanding is that the Church in South America has discouraged consumption of the former for many years (whilst acknowledging that it is not a part of the Word of Wisdom).

3 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

I've had and enjoyed yerba mate, but my favorite of the American Ilex species is I. vomitoria (Yaupon).  I like to lightly roast the leaves and then boil for 10-15 minutes. It tastes good (not bitter like tea) and provides mild stimulation and focus without any jitters.

I wasn't familiar with the name chuchupate, but it looks like it's an alternate name for osha root which I enjoy as a remedy for gut issues.  Since the vast majority of osha root is wild harvested,  I now use lovage as a substitute. I am trying to establish a patch of osha here,  but haven't had success yet. 

Another native (to my area) plant that I like as a tea is spicebush.  Over the next couple months,  I like to gather twigs and boil in maple water from tapped trees.  Those on this thread that have mentioned enjoying allspice, ginger, and clove in their teas might like spicebush. It's a good,  mildly sweet tea for cold and flu season. 

Edited by cacheman
15 minutes ago, Calm said:

I tend to worry about stimulants that might interfere with sleep, so avoid ginseng 

How does it taste?

I typically use it in the mornings. I don't notice much stimulation from it,  but simply a bit of added focus.  Years ago I would occasionally have issues with hypoglycemia mid morning and ginseng appears to have helped control blood sugar.  Keep in mind that I'm talking about American ginseng,  not Asian ginseng. 

If your sleep troubles are anxiety related,  you might want to check out magnolia bark teas.  I like to combine magnolia bark with passionflower leaves to help with anxiety related sleep issues. 

Edited by cacheman
14 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

And according to Merriam Webster, jerky chew is chew too (and the label agrees):

But there's a plant called tobacco, and if your chew doesn't have any tobacco in it, then it isn't tobacco. And there's a plant called the tea plant, and if your tea doesn't have any part of the tea plant in it, then it isn't tea. I know you want this to be hard for some reason, but it takes intentional mental acrobatics to get there.

Yes, that's one way of looking at it. The church offers no guidance in regards to herbal tea, however. I'm sure whatever good-faith conclusion you come up with is fine.

14 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Herbal tea is not true tea. The only true tea comes from the tea plant. Peppermint is not the tea plant. Neither is sagebrush. Or rose hips. (Did you not read the Wikipedia passage I quoted earlier?)

Yes, that's one way of looking at it. The church offers no guidance in regards to herbal tea, however. I'm sure whatever good-faith conclusion you come up with is fine.

Did you not see the dictionary definitions I pasted? Herbal tea is defined as tea.

11 hours ago, Raingirl said:

What do Jewish dietary laws have to do with it?

Yes, I know the word ‘kosher’ has been co-opted to mean something other than its true meaning of having to do with keeping the laws of kashrut (which, as a former Orthodox Jew, I am very familiar with), but a ridiculous question does not deserve a serious answer.

Even after eight years in the church, I am still amazed at how church critics cant wait to jump at any excuse to belittle the church and its members. 

I'm amazed at the lengths people go to label light banter about the lack of clarity around something "belittling the church".

Isaiah 29:21

2 hours ago, Gray said:

I'm amazed at the lengths people go to label light banter about the lack of clarity around something "belittling the church".

Isaiah 29:21

Light banter?

Characterizing repeated posts belittling the church and it’s members as “light banter” speaks volumes about - well - character.  

What herbal “tea” actually is, is clear and simple and easily understood with even a modest amount of intelligence. 

But church critics who are desperate for any opportunity to attack, will just flat-out lie in a feeble attempt to serve their purpose.  Too bad for you, I guess, that the posters here are smart enough to see through the lies. 

I have no more to say on the subject. As boring as my life may be, I still don’t have  endless hours to spend online, as critics apparently do. And I have no interest in interacting with people who choose lies over truth when it suits their purpose. 

3 hours ago, Gray said:

Did you not see the dictionary definitions I pasted? Herbal tea is defined as tea.

1.) Yes they do, its available in Temple Cafeteria's so thats enough of an endorsement for anyone

2.) Only in English and American dictionaries. They are properly called infusions as has been stated here before.

36 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

1.) Yes they do, its available in Temple Cafeteria's so thats enough of an endorsement for anyone

2.) Only in English and American dictionaries. They are properly called infusions as has been stated here before.

The original language for the word of wisdom is English, so far as I can tell.

46 minutes ago, Raingirl said:

Light banter?

Characterizing repeated posts belittling the church and it’s members as “light banter” speaks volumes about - well - character.  

What herbal “tea” actually is, is clear and simple and easily understood with even a modest amount of intelligence. 

But church critics who are desperate for any opportunity to attack, will just flat-out lie in a feeble attempt to serve their purpose.  Too bad for you, I guess, that the posters here are smart enough to see through the lies

I have no more to say on the subject. As boring as my life may be, I still don’t have  endless hours to spend online, as critics apparently do. And I have no interest in interacting with people who choose lies over truth when it suits their purpose. 

The only one launching mean spirited attacks, as far as I can tell, is you. Maybe you're going through a hard time or something, and that's why your lashing out in such a personal and one-sided, asymmetrical way. Hope all is well.