Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A lot of work has been done on the Middle East and Egypt on their ancient theological beliefs and how a lot of the principles relate to Adams original religion. A lot of this work focus on the Temple/s and the similarity in ordinances, rituals, and beliefs. High Nibley is probably the most popular scholar on the subject.

However I haven’t been able to find any research being done into Farther East religions! Somewhere in this form I saw a user comment that a friend had mentioned to him how the Japanese samurai suicide closet resembled the penalties of the Temple. This piqued my curiosity but as much as I wanted to dig into the history of those ancient religions I have no idea where to start or if any work has already been done!

Any suggestions on where to start my research? Any papers written on the parallels between our religions/temples?

Considering how old many of ruins are throughout China, Nepal, and the rest of Asia I would suppose that there should be an even been connection to Adams religion then even in the Middle East...or maybe not haha

Edited by SettingDogStar

Share this post


Link to post

You might want to keep several things in mind:

Non-Mormon anthropologists who specialize in Mesoamerica generally see strong cultural connections (diffusionary) with China and SE Asia.  Mike Coe is certainly among them.

Modern Hindu puja tends to reflect the initiatory sequence practiced in the ancient Near East, as well as in LDS temples.

Hindu and Buddhist culture mimic the actual stages of life as an initiatory sequence.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

However I haven’t been able to find any research being done into Farther East religions! Somewhere in this form I saw a user comment that a friend had mentioned to him how the Japanese samurai suicide closet resembled the penalties of the Temple. This piqued my curiosity but as much as I wanted to dig into the history of those ancient religions I have no idea where to start or if any work has already been done!

There's actually some really interesting parallels with Chinese temples and Solomon's temple. I wrote a paper on it back as a Sophmore but I confess I can't recall all the details. With experience since then I'm more inclined to see most of the parallels as coincidence or divorced from context. But they are there. I'm just skeptical of their significance.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, clarkgoble said:

There's actually some really interesting parallels with Chinese temples and Solomon's temple. I wrote a paper on it back as a Sophmore but I confess I can't recall all the details. With experience since then I'm more inclined to see most of the parallels as coincidence or divorced from context. But they are there. I'm just skeptical of their significance.

Some useful sources are as follows:

Banister Fletcher, A History of Architecture on the Comparative Method, 12th ed. (London: B. T. Batsford, 1945), esp. 74.

Nigel Pennick, The Ancient Science of Geomancy: Man in Harmony With the Earth (London: Thames & Hudson, 1979), esp. 102-103.

W. R. Lethaby, Architecture, Mysticism and Myth (N.Y.: Macmillan, 1892).

Percy Brown, Indian Architecture (Buddhist and Hindu Periods) (Bombay: D. B. Toraporevala Sons, 1942).

L. Sprague De Camp, The Ancient Engineers (N.Y.: Doubleday/Ballantyne, 1974).

I have always found a powerful confluence among temple, tomb, and palace throughout the ancient world.

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Non-Mormon anthropologists who specialize in Mesoamerica generally see strong cultural connections (diffusionary) with China and SE Asia.  Mike Coe is certainly among them.

 

And the mention of silk in the Book of Mormon.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yeh, but there was that recent discussion of yours:  http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/71361-silk-in-ancient-mesoamerica/ .  So American silk, rather than Asian.

 

Shrug.

I am from the old school that believes a horse is a horse, and silk is not milkweed.

Edited by cdowis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, cdowis said:

Shrug.

I am from the old school that believes a horse is a horse, and silk is not milkweed.

Yeah I don't know why those dang Nephites just didn't write in English. I bet they didn't even use the word "silk."

Lot of nerve. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Yeah I don't know why those dang Nephites just didn't write in English. I bet they didn't even use the word "silk."

Lot of nerve. 

Fortunately God Himself tells us what they meant with His direct involvement. in the translation process.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, cdowis said:

Fortunately God Himself tells us what they meant with His direct involvement. in the translation process.

So scripture is inerrant? No human interference, and God breathed? Including the Bible?

Edited by mfbukowski

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

So scripture is inerrant? 

"The translation may be  inerrant, but the text is not."  

It may not make sense but it sounds cool. 😎

Edited by cdowis

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...