Seriously No Politics ×

The biggest BYU scandal of all time (sarcasm alert)

2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

But the cultural appropriation insanity going on today seems to deny anyone the right to wear clothing, cook food, play music or play games that don't belong to their own culture. 

Food, especially, is one where things go off the rails for me.

Oh man, and if anyone ever convinces my friend's wife, who happens to be Korean, that she can't make bulgogi filled burritos anymore, I will absolutely lose it. :aggressive:

6 hours ago, Calm said:

Maybe if they start waving around Russian flags as part of it....

I hadn’t heard that Bolivia and Argentina had occupied and subjugated Mexico. 

Everything we do is culturally appropriated.

Edited by Bernard Gui

What if the following picture was of a Mexican wearing a Yankees cap and holding a Canadian flag in his mouth at a university in Mexico City trying to sell hamburgers on Jamburger Jueves... Would you be offended, or would you laugh?

Hamburger Tunic Costume Adult Men Standard

Edited by pogi
1 hour ago, pogi said:

What if the following picture was of a Mexican wearing a Yankees cap and holding a Canadian flag in his mouth at a university in Mexico City trying to sell hamburgers on Jamburger Jueves... Would you be offended, or would you laugh?

That would be hilarious!  We definitely need a picture like that.

6 hours ago, Stargazer said:

It seems to a problem to some people,

But was this the problem commented on in this case?

And I get why people don’t like when their culture gets diluted because it misinforms about the actual character of it, people aren’t learning  who they really are, much like someone in the Church might be troubled if people assumed they weren’t Christian based on faulty descriptions and worse weren’t interested in learning about the real faith, thinking they knew enough already. 

3 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

I hadn’t heard that Bolivia and Argentina had occupied and subjugated Mexico. 

So you agree there might be valid reasons at times to get upset about inaccurate info being shared about a culture you love or respect?

6 hours ago, Stargazer said:

a "cis" female actor (Scarlett Johanson) playing a transgender man in a film.  Hollywood apparently is supposed to find a woman who has transitioned to a man in order to play this person.  Johannson also got in hot water over playing a canonically Japanese cyborg in "Ghost in the Shell"

I think this outrage is more tied in the first place to few giving opportunities to certain minorities even in roles about them. 

The second is for me more about diluting the character of the story, the context the story took place in was Japan. If they were claiming they were being true to the original story rather than it being an adaptation, I think that is a misrepresentation...but just taking the idea and adapting it to one’s own culture happens all the time and as long as credit is given for the idea, protesting it seems unrealistic...and unnecessary imo. I don’t know the background of the movie, but I did lose interest in seeing it when I saw the casting. 

I heard about an Asian adaptation of an American TV show recently, can’t remember what it was, but have seen it happen before. The Good Doctor is an adaptation of a Korean show iirc correctly. It was really bizarre watching the first episode because I didn’t make the link and the opening followed the original close enough to give me massive deja vu, but after that the only thing really kept was the theme of a neuroatypical doctor both struggling and shining. 

The only movie that offended me so far with cultural appropriation was The Last Airbender because the interaction of different races was foundational to the story and giving roles to mostly whites and ignoring appropriate race in others gutted that. And there was no reason to do so given the actors weren’t big names for name recognition, but pretty unknown. And then the director or producer gushed about how much he loved and honored the original work and it was the “amazing world” and the spiritual elements they had produced that attracted him...then he removes the context of those elements by making them generic in flavor. It was as if they hadn’t bothered to make the effort to have the actors look hobbit sized in the Lord of the Rings movies and yet were going on about how faithful they were to the books.  The response to the uproar over Airbender was to get ethnic actors for the main ‘bad guys’, but ignored it for the other major parts which were based on Inuit and East Asian ethnicities....which was extraordinarily tacky imo and showed they really didn’t care.  The director justified it because the cast was racially diverse in his view....but they just happened to be the wrong races.  He was ignoring racial significance in the story itself.  It changed the feel of the story dramatically.  

So there are valid examples of cultural appropriation out there.  It just isn’t cultural borrowing or the natural mixture and adaptation of cultures that comes through immigration.  It is unfortunate when it gets applied to everything. The real violations then get diminished in their descriptive value similar to overly broad use of “Nazi” or “rape”

3 hours ago, pogi said:

It was weird seeing Pizza Hut and McDonald’s in Moscow. They were very popular with the Russians. That wasn’t real Pizza Hut pizza though. The dough was very disappointing. No outrage just to be clear. 

46 minutes ago, Calm said:

It was weird seeing Pizza Hut and McDonald’s in Moscow. They were very popular with the Russians. That wasn’t real Pizza Hut pizza though. The dough was very disappointing. No outrage just to be clear. 

Ha, they had McDonald's in the Philippines too.  It was weird to see chicken with rice and spaghetti on the menu. 

9 hours ago, Calm said:

So you agree there might be valid reasons at times to get upset about inaccurate info being shared about a culture you love or respect?

Perhaps, but Taco Time at BYU isn’t one of them.