Sign in to follow this  

Matthew 2 & Luke 2

Thought it might Be good to start a thread on this weeks study soft Come Follow Me. Anything interesting you’ve learned? Anything occur to you?

i have to say this years study has been completely different for me. I’m noticing things I’ve never seen before. And I’m writing things down. I’ll write down my thoughts on what I’ve read and how it applies to me and the. Record the miracles that occured. It’s been insightful

• Like 4

The fact so many details regarding John the Baptist's birth are given is super interesting to me. 

Edited by Alaris

In the lds.org video "The Christ Child is Presented at the Temple," the event shows Simeon as a lone, old man who makes some glorious prophetic utterances and then walks away, thus leaving us without any understanding of what had really just taken place.  Yet Luke 2:22-35,39, actually provides the context for that occasion and minimal research would have disclosed that this was the occasion for a holy ordinance called Redemption of the Firstborn (Ex 13:2, 34:19-20).  Jesus was Mary's firstborn and that is the reason why she and Joseph came to the temple to find a priest to perform the ordinance with them.  In an ordinance-centered and temple-centered church one would expect that to be of prime importance, and yet it has no impact at all.  The Mosaic Law is that any male firstborn is directly owned by the Lord until the parents hand the child to a priest, make an offering, and receive the child back.  Simeon is obviously that priest.  The video should have made that clear, and in the context of a bustling, busy temple.

Prominence might also have been given to the Prophetess Anna, who was also at the temple and made prophetic comments.  The video could have given her her due as a prophet of God there present at the temple, immediately following the ordinance performed by Simeon.  It  might be helpful for Latter-day Saints to know that a woman can be a prophet.  One could even note that a Prophetess contemporary with Jeremiah and Lehi was Huldah.  And that a still earlier Prophet was Deborah, who also held office as a Judge (warlord).

• Like 3

I was just reading Luke 2 during lunch at work. I don’t have my notebook but the Spirit was strong. Making it clear that these events did happen.

another couple of things I noticed:

there was still quite a bit of revelation being poured out upon the Jews at this time.

despite the angelic instruction preparing them, Mary and Joseph both seemed surprised by what was happening with the shepherds, at the circumcision, and when they found Jesus at the temple. They pondered a lot in their hearts. It seems because they weren’t sure what to make of it

Whenever I read these sections, where you have all these angels appearing in quick succession, I always think to myself, "Man, angels must be super scary."

Seriously, whenever an angel shows up, what is the first thing out of his mouth? Don't be afraid!

Not, Oops, sorry for startling you.

Not, oh hey, it's just me.

No, it's like almost always, DON'T BE AFRAID!!!

Why on earth would they have to say that if they weren't like super scary to begin with? Right!?!

I kind of figure they look something like the angels in Michael Allred's comic book rendition of the Book of Mormon (link). Probably scarier though.

Good thing I'm not spiritual enough to be visited by angels. It's probably for the best. ;) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

In the lds.org video "The Christ Child is Presented at the Temple," the event shows Simeon as a lone, old man who makes some glorious prophetic utterances and then walks away, thus leaving us without any understanding of what had really just taken place.  Yet Luke 2:22-35,39, actually provides the context for that occasion and minimal research would have disclosed that this was the occasion for a holy ordinance called Redemption of the Firstborn (Ex 13:2, 34:19-20).  Jesus was Mary's firstborn and that is the reason why she and Joseph came to the temple to find a priest to perform the ordinance with them.  In an ordinance-centered and temple-centered church one would expect that to be of prime importance, and yet it has no impact at all.  The Mosaic Law is that any male firstborn is directly owned by the Lord until the parents hand the child to a priest, make an offering, and receive the child back.  Simeon is obviously that priest.  The video should have made that clear, and in the context of a bustling, busy temple.

Prominence might also have been given to the Prophetess Anna, who was also at the temple and made prophetic comments.  The video could have given her her due as a prophet of God there present at the temple, immediately following the ordinance performed by Simeon.  It  might be helpful for Latter-day Saints to know that a woman can be a prophet.  One could even note that a Prophetess contemporary with Jeremiah and Lehi was Huldah.  And that a still earlier Prophet was Deborah, who also held office as a Judge (warlord).

In this context, the definition most members know and use frequently is not applicable. There are a few different definitions for the term.

2 hours ago, Amulek said:

"Man, angels must be super scary."

I remember Hugh Nibley recounting a story about his grandfather who was a GA but also a hard nosed businessman. When asked what he would do if an angel appeared to him he said, and I roughly quote , " I would jump right out that window! " 

• Like 2

I am glad there is a thread on this.  I have a question.  

When exactly did Mary and Joseph get married.  I noticed in Luke 2 that she is still  an “espoused wife.”

1 hour ago, Rivers said:

I am glad there is a thread on this.  I have a question.  

When exactly did Mary and Joseph get married.  I noticed in Luke 2 that she is still  an “espoused wife.”

The Interpreter round table podcast on this lesson discusses this in detail I recommend these podcasts.

3 hours ago, strappinglad said:

I remember Hugh Nibley recounting a story about his grandfather who was a GA but also a hard nosed businessman. When asked what he would do if an angel appeared to him he said, and I roughly quote , " I would jump right out that window! " 

Yeh, and that was in an upper story of the old Hotel Utah.

3 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

In this context, the definition most members know and use frequently is not applicable. There are a few different definitions for the term.

If that is so, then perhaps LDS members should know about it.  What is the proper context, and what are some other contexts?

10 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

If that is so, then perhaps LDS members should know about it.  What is the proper context, and what are some other contexts?

Anyone with a testimony of Christ is a prophet

40 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Anyone with a testimony of Christ is a prophet

According to St Paul, prophecy is a specific spiritual gift (1 Cor 13:2-9), which is part of a list of diverse gifts (1 Cor 12:4-11), which in turn are part of an organic whole -- which goes to make up the Body of Christ, which is His Church  (1 Cor 12:12-27).  Thus, while "the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy" (Rev 19:10 NIV "it is the Spirit of prophecy who bears testimony to Jesus"), it is a fallacy to conclude that anyone who has a testimony of Jesus is a Prophet.  That is not the meaning of that Scripture, which merely tells us that the source of testimony is the Holy Spirit.  For, as St Paul said:

God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.  Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?  Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?  1 Cor 12:28-30; cf. Eph 4:11-12

When Jesus and the Apostles speak about "the prophets," they are not speaking about anybody and everybody who ever had a testimony, but rather they are speaking of those individuals who were specifically called by God and by his Divine Council to fulfill that specific role.  In fact, that is the meaning of the Hebrew word nābʼî  "prophet, one called by God" (Akkadian nabû “to name, call”) -- the prophet is God's agent and messenger to his people.