Valentinus

Thom Wayment's NT

I recently purchased this edition of the NT from Deseret Book at the recommendation of Daniel McClellan. After I've given it more attention, I plan to read Daniel's review of it. Anyone else get copy yet?

11 minutes ago, Valentinus said:

I recently purchased this edition of the NT from Deseret Book at the recommendation of Daniel McClellan. After I've given it more attention, I plan to read Daniel's review of it. Anyone else get copy yet?

Which edition is that?

2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Which edition is that?

Thomas A. Wayment, The New Testament: A Translation for Latter-day Saints: A Study Bible (BYU Religioius Studies Center/Deseret Book, 2018).  In paperback and Kindle.  ISBN 978-1944394677
The blurb accompanying the Amazon ad says:

This new translation from the best available Greek manuscripts renders the New Testament text into modern English and is sensitive to Latter-day Saint beliefs and practices. This translation is readable and accessible for a wide range of readers. The original paragraph structure of the New Testament is restored and highlights features such as quotations, hymns, and poetic passages. New and extensive notes provide alternate translations, commentary on variant manuscript traditions, and historical insights. Where applicable, the Joseph Smith Translation has been included. The notes contain the most complete list of cross-references to New Testament passages in the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants that has ever been assembled.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
  • Like 2

I want a copy really bad! It looks extremely good and helpful. The KJV is beloved but it seems like Brother Wayment has been able to preserve familiar wording styles but translate to something more understandable. I haven't read it yet but I'm hoping while he was sensitive to latter-day saint beliefs, he didn't alter any translation efforts in favor of certain church doctrines instead of just being faithful to what the translation should have been. I really don't think he would have done that though from what I've read about his research.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 3:00 AM, SettingDogStar said:

I want a copy really bad! It looks extremely good and helpful. The KJV is beloved but it seems like Brother Wayment has been able to preserve familiar wording styles but translate to something more understandable. I haven't read it yet but I'm hoping while he was sensitive to latter-day saint beliefs, he didn't alter any translation efforts in favor of certain church doctrines instead of just being faithful to what the translation should have been. I really don't think he would have done that though from what I've read about his research.

I had a look on Amazon, and it looks like it's only available as a Kindle book.  About $25, which is probably around the expected price point for a book without universal appeal.

Although the sales ranking of the book appears to be quite strong, at least for Kindle books dealing with LDS topics:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #12,665 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#4 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Denominations & Sects > Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
#11 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Denominations & Sects > Mormonism
#1946 in Books > Religion & Spirituality

#12,665 in overall Kindle sales rank is pretty good, in my experience.  My own book (that I ghost-wrote) is #73,452.

Of course I bought it.  My budget has now been officially busted!  Well, sort of.

On 1/13/2019 at 12:09 AM, Robert F. Smith said:

Thomas A. Wayment, The New Testament: A Translation for Latter-day Saints: A Study Bible (BYU Religioius Studies Center/Deseret Book, 2018).  In paperback and Kindle.  ISBN 978-1944394677
The blurb accompanying the Amazon ad says:

Do you know if this book is going to be available in hard cover or paperback format?

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

Do you know if this book is going to be available in hard cover or paperback format?

It already has been issued in paperback format, but it is out of stock at Amazon and Deseret Book. You might be able to call DB and see when they will have it back in stock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I had a look on Amazon, and it looks like it's only available as a Kindle book.  About $25, which is probably around the expected price point for a book without universal appeal.

Although the sales ranking of the book appears to be quite strong, at least for Kindle books dealing with LDS topics:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #12,665 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#4 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Denominations & Sects > Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
#11 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Denominations & Sects > Mormonism
#1946 in Books > Religion & Spirituality

#12,665 in overall Kindle sales rank is pretty good, in my experience.  My own book (that I ghost-wrote) is #73,452.

Of course I bought it.  My budget has now been officially busted!  Well, sort of.

Kindle edition is $16.99 right now. This is a really cool product. I hope people take advantage of it but even more I hope it opens up the field for more modern translations that LDS will use.

I know a lot of people hold a special place in their hearts for the KJV but I'm not really one of them. I occasionally find it fun to compare multiple translations and while it takes a little getting used to modern English scripture it really does help to make it very understandable for the average Joe like me.

• Like 1

I think it is cool that someone has attempted this. I have had similar ideas about the need for an LDS version of the KJV besides the JST. I don't know if I will ever get to it, but I just might do it myself.  Glad to see someone trying before me, and I'm sure it will provide some value to the conversation.

I wish that authors would include a Kindle copy when you buy a hard copy.  I purchased a hard copy, but it seems that they are behind on printing, and I will not see mine until the end of the month.  I would like to get started, and if I had the Kindle version , I could.  Many musicians include MP3 downloads when you buy a CD - it would be cool if this happened with books too.  

I am looking forward to studying with my family using this new edition!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maestrophil said:

I wish that authors would include a Kindle copy when you buy a hard copy.  I purchased a hard copy, but it seems that they are behind on printing, and I will not see mine until the end of the month.  I would like to get started, and if I had the Kindle version , I could.  Many musicians include MP3 downloads when you buy a CD - it would be cool if this happened with books too.  

I am looking forward to studying with my family using this new edition!

It's usually more to do with what the Publisher offers than what the author would like. I've ordered hard copies from Amazon in the past and had instant access to the kindle version, so I know it's possible. And I agree, it is cool to have access to both though they probably want to avoid someone getting 2 copies, one of which they can give away, but i like different formats. It's like buying a movie and getting the blue ray, DVD and digital copy all with one purchase price.

• Like 1