Missionary work

2 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

And we need to do more of it!

And there is this....

WE WARN that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

WE CALL UPON responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.

Perhaps that’s what we should be concerned about now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

And there is this....

Perhaps that’s what we should be concerned about now.

I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition. Though as our area president has repeatedly noted, people who are struggling to eat, pay rent or pay their children’s school fees often don’t have the mental space to consider spiritual messages. 

• Like 1

Can’t say this is accurate as haven’t researched the organization.  If accurate, not everything is improving  

http://humantraffickingsearch.org/human-trafficking-statistics-2017/

“In 2017, 8,759 cases of human trafficking were reported to the NHTH, representing over 10,000 individual victims, almost 5,000 potential traffickers, and more than 1,500 businesses involved in human trafficking. This was a 13 percent increase in cases compared to 2016.

• Like 2

Another problem...increased production of heroin 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/343389002

Guess I am in a contrarian mood tonight, be posting bright and cheery things if the emphasis was no negatives

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sunstoned said:

I do not accept the old standard mormon chestnut that the world is getting more wicked day by day.   Reality just does not support that.  While we are not perfect, right now, this very minute, is the best time to be alive on this planet. This is a much better time than any other time in history.  Hunger is down, disease is down and crime is down.   Here is one example:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

It is true that more and more people are finding religion, including Mormonism, unattractive.  It is also true  that more people have become more inclusive and have shown increased support of basic civil human rights. This however, does does not equate to wickedness. 

I think what’s happening is the wicked are getting more wicked and the righteous are getting more righteous.  The people between are shrinking in numbers 

4 hours ago, Calm said:

Can’t say this is accurate as haven’t researched the organization.  If accurate, not everything is improving  

http://humantraffickingsearch.org/human-trafficking-statistics-2017/

“In 2017, 8,759 cases of human trafficking were reported to the NHTH, representing over 10,000 individual victims, almost 5,000 potential traffickers, and more than 1,500 businesses involved in human trafficking. This was a 13 percent increase in cases compared to 2016.

It’s a major problem and a lot of people don’t want to pay attention to it. My sister in law does fundraising for Mission 21. People don’t want to donate to help victims of sex trafficking. But the SPCA can get tons of donations to take care of abandoned pets (and I don’t think that’s bad). We should take care of our animals but it seems to me that we should take care of our fellow man also if not more

Edited by Avatar4321
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Calm said:

Another problem...increased production of heroin 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/343389002

Guess I am in a contrarian mood tonight, be posting bright and cheery things if the emphasis was no negatives

All the more reason to preach the gospel. If people have the joy of the gospel in their life and the hope it brings, they won’t be turning to heroin or other substances

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Can’t. I’m married with young children

The you're still a young rooster... :)

15 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I’ve been listening to a book on the history of Christianity throput throughout the world. It has me thinking about missionary work for our Church and how we’ve barely scratched the surface. I want to do my part to share the gospel and it seems nothing I do has any impact whatsoever.

What can we do to actually impact the missionary effort? Especially since I’m not a young rooster any more

I think the main thing is to impact ourselves through missionary work. The success is in inviting people to hear the message or come to Church, as awkward as this may feel to do. This personal effort sends more light into the world than we give it credit for, and definitely impacts the broader efforts (which are only the culmination of many other micro-efforts by many other individuals, couples, families, missions, etc.).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition. Though as our area president has repeatedly noted, people who are struggling to eat, pay rent or pay their children’s school fees often don’t have the mental space to consider spiritual messages. 

Of course, but many of our societal ills today are caused by the disintegration of the family.

Edited by Bernard Gui

16 hours ago, SouthernMo said:

I don’t mean to sound flippant, but does it matter if you have the fullness if no one wants to listen to it?

Yes, because I have it. :) 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sunstoned said:

I do not accept the old standard mormon chestnut that the world is getting more wicked day by day.   Reality just does not support that.  While we are not perfect, right now, this very minute, is the best time to be alive on this planet. This is a much better time than any other time in history.  Hunger is down, disease is down and crime is down.   Here is one example:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

It is true that more and more people are finding religion, including Mormonism, unattractive.  It is also true  that more people have become more inclusive and have shown increased support of basic civil human rights. This however, does does not equate to wickedness. 

Some things get better and some things get worse.

I do see our current state as dangerous though. I think a lot of the good stuff is a feeling of safety we have gotten from not facing real physical conflict in a real threat to our way of life in decades. I think the inclusiveness will fade away if a real threat emerges. Look at how people went to pieces after 9/11 and that was not much of a threat.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I think what’s happening is the wicked are getting more wicked and the righteous are getting more righteous.  The people between are shrinking in numbers 

A possibility, but I see a lot of mediocrity out there (politics and advertising makes it easy to find), so .I am not sure.  There does seem to be a lot of other kinds of polarization going on that might feed into that, though I don't think it is appropriate to label sides of most issues righteous and wicked.

Edited by Calm

9 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

It’s a major problem and a lot of people don’t want to pay attention to it. My sister in law does fundraising for Mission 21. People don’t want to donate to help victims of sex trafficking. But the SPCA can get tons of donations to take care of abandoned pets (and I don’t think that’s bad). We should take care of our animals but it seems to me that we should take care of our fellow man also if not more

It is horrifying to think it exists.  I certainly prefer not to think about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Of course, but many of our societal ills today are caused by the disintegration of the family.

I would agree with this if by family it is meant the extended version, I think grandparents, cousins, uncle and aunts are important in a child's life.  Siblings as well, both as children and adults.  People with shared experiences and viewpoints can help us learn about ourselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calm said:

I would agree with this if by family it is meant the extended version, I think grandparents, cousins, uncle and aunts are important in a child's life.  Siblings as well, both as children and adults.  People with shared experiences and viewpoints can help us learn about ourselves.

Brigham Young: 

“[Some] persons are apt to feel a spirit of despondency, to mourn and complain, ‘O that I had a Father's house to go to; or if I had one person whom I could visit and call sister, how happy I should be; but I am a stranger here, I have no relatives in this kingdom.’ Is that feeling correct or incorrect? I say that it is incorrect; such conclusions are not true. That man or woman that is a child of God, that honours his or her calling in the kingdom of God on the earth, is just as much your brother or sister as any person you have been accustomed to claim that relationship with. If you see a woman who lives her religion, who is owned of God, you see a person that is flesh of your flesh, blood of your blood, and bone of your bone, although she may have been born upon the opposite side of the earth from where you was born. Those who actually live the religion we profess, are as much your brothers and sisters as are those born of the same earthly parents. Jesus understood this, as we may learn from his expression, ‘For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.’

Let your hearts be at rest, for you have brothers and sisters here to visit; they are your connections, your relatives, your brethren and sisters.” JOD 4:280-281

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Brigham Young: 

“[Some] persons are apt to feel a spirit of despondency, to mourn and complain, ‘O that I had a Father's house to go to; or if I had one person whom I could visit and call sister, how happy I should be; but I am a stranger here, I have no relatives in this kingdom.’ Is that feeling correct or incorrect? I say that it is incorrect; such conclusions are not true. That man or woman that is a child of God, that honours his or her calling in the kingdom of God on the earth, is just as much your brother or sister as any person you have been accustomed to claim that relationship with. If you see a woman who lives her religion, who is owned of God, you see a person that is flesh of your flesh, blood of your blood, and bone of your bone, although she may have been born upon the opposite side of the earth from where you was born. Those who actually live the religion we profess, are as much your brothers and sisters as are those born of the same earthly parents. Jesus understood this, as we may learn from his expression, ‘For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.’

Let your hearts be at rest, for you have brothers and sisters here to visit; they are your connections, your relatives, your brethren and sisters.” JOD 4:280-281

Are you agreeing with my statement that they are important or not?  Because the above can equally apply to the nuclear family as the extended one.  

I also believe the bonds of a ward family or any community that has close ties is important in people's lives.  The fact that our nation has people moving around a lot, forming friendships and then losing them may be having an impact as well, imo, though there are many positives about experiencing different cultures,etc.

Edited by Calm

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Are you agreeing with my statement that they are important or not?  Because the above can equally apply to the nuclear family as the extended one.  

I also believe the bonds of a ward family or any community that has close ties is important in people's lives.  The fact that our nation has people moving around a lot, forming friendships and then losing them may be having an impact as well, imo, though there are many positives about experiencing different cultures,etc.

Of course they are important.

I'm not sure what you meant in relation to the warning in the Family Proclamation.

19 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

people who are struggling to eat, pay rent or pay their children’s school fees often don’t have the mental space to consider spiritual messages. 

Not sure that is true.  They have time in fact I bet many of them spend a lot of time on social media.  They may not have time for a discussions or become too involved with something but they can spare 5 minutes for a spiritual message.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:21 PM, Avatar4321 said:

I’ve been listening to a book on the history of Christianity throput throughout the world. It has me thinking about missionary work for our Church and how we’ve barely scratched the surface. I want to do my part to share the gospel and it seems nothing I do has any impact whatsoever.

What can we do to actually impact the missionary effort? Especially since I’m not a young rooster any more

Perhaps reframing would help?

Think of the converts on the other side of the Veil that have accepted the gospel and accepted Temple work done on their behalf. That is a larger number, and I imagine missionary work is a bit easier to an audience that understands there is an afterlife, as is missionary work for converts who then share the gospel with their ancestors and unconverted deceased family.

Also, I think the truth is something that has been revealed in parts and at times to different people (Buddha, etc.), line upon line, so most people have accpeted the light/truth given them. Adding to that is the illusive part

27 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

Not sure that is true.  They have time in fact I bet many of them spend a lot of time on social media.  They may not have time for a discussions or become too involved with something but they can spare 5 minutes for a spiritual message.

Mental space is not equivalent to time. I have all the time I could possibly want, mental space not so much right now (obsessing about my mom most hours)

On 1/10/2019 at 7:49 PM, carbon dioxide said:

In a world that is becoming more wicked, we should not look at numbers to see if we are being effective missionaries.   Noah did not convert many but that does not mean he was not a good missionary.

How exactly is the world becoming more wicked? More wicked than when? Do you think this is the most wicked time in all of world history or do you have a cut-off time for your comparison?

On 1/10/2019 at 8:42 PM, Avatar4321 said:

I don’t think it was the saviors purpose to convince most. He left in much of that to his disciples. His earthly ministry was focused on training the disciples who would run the church after him and on the atonement.

I agree. And I think His Apostles did a bang up job, especially with passing on His authority and teaching to their successors ;) 

14 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

This has an interesting semantic corollary to "the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer."

14 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

All the more reason to preach the gospel. If people have the joy of the gospel in their life and the hope it brings, they won’t be turning to heroin or other substances

I agree with the basic underlying foundational ideas here, but I think this overly, way overly, simplifies the opiate epidemic.