Jump to content
Avatar4321

Missionary work

Recommended Posts

I’ve been listening to a book on the history of Christianity throput throughout the world. It has me thinking about missionary work for our Church and how we’ve barely scratched the surface. I want to do my part to share the gospel and it seems nothing I do has any impact whatsoever.

What can we do to actually impact the missionary effort? Especially since I’m not a young rooster any more

Share this post


Link to post

Can’t. I’m married with young children

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I’ve been listening to a book on the history of Christianity throput throughout the world. It has me thinking about missionary work for our Church and how we’ve barely scratched the surface. I want to do my part to share the gospel and it seems nothing I do has any impact whatsoever.

What can we do to actually impact the missionary effort? Especially since I’m not a young rooster any more

I’ve found preaching Christianity (Atonement) rather than a focus on Mormonism (Joseph Smith, Book of Mormon, Word of Wisdom, etc...) is more effective. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've shared with you my formula before:

  • Live up to your privileges so that you actually have something to share. We should be having experiences as Latter-day Saints that others will covet if known.
  • Do genuinely good things.
  • Invite other people to join you (and your family) in doing good things.
  • When/as the Spirit directs, share with those people how the gospel blesses your life.
Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

 In a world that is becoming more wicked, we should not look at numbers to see if we are being effective missionaries.   Noah did not convert many but that does not mean he was not a good missionary.

Edited by carbon dioxide

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

 In a world that is becoming more wicked, we should not look at numbers to see if we are being effective missionaries.

But we can certainly consider if we are being effective missionaries. I suspect most of us could be far better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

 In a world that is becoming more wicked, we should not look at numbers to see if we are being effective missionaries.   Noah did not convert many but that does not mean he was not a good missionary.

I’m not sure I’d be good if I looked at other criteria

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I've shared with you my formula before:

  • Live up to your privileges so that you actually have something to share. We should be having experiences as Latter-day Saints that others will covet if known.
  • Do genuinely good things.
  • Invite other people to join you (and your family) in doing good things.
  • When/as the Spirit directs, share with those people how the gospel blesses your life.

I think I’m tripping over one and two

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SouthernMo said:

I’ve found preaching Christianity (Atonement) rather than a focus on Mormonism (Joseph Smith, Book of Mormon, Word of Wisdom, etc...) is more effective. 

How do we bring the fullness of the gospel into their lives if we ignore important parts?

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

But we can certainly consider if we are being effective missionaries. I suspect most of us could be far better.

Maybe but remember the Savior himself could not convince most so do not go nuts with optimism about what we could do.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

I think I’m tripping over one and two

That’s often the case for many of us. When it’s not, the work is often quite easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

Do not go nuts with optimism about what we could do.

Except that I know from personal experience what we can do. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Except that I know from personal experience what we can do. 

Yeah, but I am pretty awful at missionary work. I did a good job last night shredding all the old documents in the clerk’s office. We all have our strengths.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Maybe but remember the Savior himself could not convince most so do not go nuts with optimism about what we could do.

 I don’t think it was the saviors purpose to convince most. He left in much of that to his disciples. His earthly ministry was focused on training the disciples who would run the church after him and on the atonement.

I don’t know what we can do, but I think we can do more than we are. I feel like I can 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

Yeah, but I am pretty awful at missionary work. I did a good job last night shredding all the old documents in the clerk’s office. We all have our strengths.

The Lord has promised to thrash the nations by the Spirit through the weak things of the world. We probably qualify 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

 I don’t think it was the saviors purpose to convince most. He left in much of that to his disciples. His earthly ministry was focused on training the disciples who would run the church after him and on the atonement.

I don’t know what we can do, but I think we can do more than we are. I feel like I can 

Maybe. We watched a video on Sunday about Jesus giving the parable of  the sower to the people and then he started explaining to the apostles how the people could not understand it but the apostles can......in the same volume of voice he used when preaching. My thought was “Dude, the crowd can hear you. They are still right there.” So maybe that is why he had trouble converting people?

Edited by The Nehor

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

The Lord has promised to thrash the nations by the Spirit through the weak things of the world. We probably qualify 

And I do. I have gifts that God has used with power. I wish he would do more of it. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

How do we bring the fullness of the gospel into their lives if we ignore important parts?

I don’t mean to sound flippant, but does it matter if you have the fullness if no one wants to listen to it?

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, SouthernMo said:

I don’t mean to sound flippant, but does it matter if you have the fullness if no one wants to listen to it?

Exactly! And if it isn't apparent that having it works better than not.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Go on a mission. 😜

 

1 hour ago, carbon dioxide said:

 In a world that is becoming more wicked, we should not look at numbers to see if we are being effective missionaries.   Noah did not convert many but that does not mean he was not a good missionary.

I do not accept the old standard mormon chestnut that the world is getting more wicked day by day.   Reality just does not support that.  While we are not perfect, right now, this very minute, is the best time to be alive on this planet. This is a much better time than any other time in history.  Hunger is down, disease is down and crime is down.   Here is one example:

Quote

The rate of reported violent crime has fallen since a high of 758.20 reported crimes in 1991 to a low of 361.6 reported violent crimes in 2014. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

It is true that more and more people are finding religion, including Mormonism, unattractive.  It is also true  that more people have become more inclusive and have shown increased support of basic civil human rights. This however, does does not equate to wickedness. 

Share this post


Link to post

Duplicate.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, sunstoned said:

Yes, I think we are doing something right!

And we need to do more of it!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×