Meerkat

How do YOU study the new curriculum every day to get the most from it?

I'd like to hear your strategies and improve my own.

I do not. I do it a couple of times a week but not every day. Bust out the manual. Read it. Read the assigned chapters. Come up with some thought provoking ideas and questions.

• Like 3

I read the scripture block.

then go verse by verse asking questions and finding answers.

also I do word studies.

and I try and find a way to turn it into a lesson or a devotional.

example I was studying Amos and came across his job discription and asked why is that important then I wrote a devotional on it and this is what I came up with.

The Gardener.

One of my favorite prophets of the Old Testament is Amos and in his book he tells us “I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit.”

I asked myself, what is sycamore fruit and why would this be important information for us to know about Amos? So I looked in to it and found that Sycomore fruit is a Fig, and in Its present practice of Egyptian and Cypriot growers of the sycamore (fig-mulberry) trees is to pierce the premature fruit with a nail or other sharp instrument in order to make the fruit edible. The wounding, or piercing, of sycamore figs at an early ripening stage induces a sharp increase in the emanation of ethylene gas, which accelerates the growth and ripening of the fruit considerably (three to eight times). This is important since otherwise the fruit will not fully develop and will stay hard or it will be spoiled by parasitic wasps that penetrate the fruit and inhabit it for reproduction.

I also have been an avid gardener for many years, I have mostly been experimenting with indoor gardening for the past 11 years, mostly growing tomatoes and strawberry’s. 

I have been very successful at it as well, but I always notice when I begin the hardening of my plants, that’s when they become the target of cold and pest.

“Hardening off” is the process of moving plants outdoors for a portion of the day to gradually introduce them to the direct sunlight, dry air, and cold nights.

So as I continued to study these gardening techniques the spiritual symbolisms just calls out to me.

How could a fruit that is damaged become better then if it was just left on it own?

How could placing a plant in the world away from its protection help it become stronger?

Then the scripture Hebrew 12:6 “For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, 

and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.” I sometimes wish the Lord did not love me so much, But I know it is for my good and the good of my family.

I love that we can find spiritual lessons all around us.

When Mary mistakes Jesus for the Gardener, I now know why, Because Jesus is the Greatest Gardener of our lives.

In the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ, Amen.

• Like 3

I don’t study it every day. I study it on Sunday. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I would like to remove the words "every day" from the topic line.  My intent was to hear how you study these topics whenever you study.  I'm experimenting, using the curriculum itself.  I take one section each time I study, and think about how it applies to my circumstances.  I like the helps they include, such as links to who Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were, and why the Gospels were different.  For example, why did Luke include more stories about women than the other gospels?  

I like the small chart they included that had "the angel's words to Mary" on the left side "The Lord is with thee," and "Message for me" on the right "The Lord is aware of my situation and struggles."  Tips like that can make scripture study more fruitful, I think.  I appreciate hearing them.

Edited by Meerkat

11 hours ago, Doctrine 612 said:

I do word studies.

and I try and find a way to turn it into a lesson or a devotional.

I love that idea and enjoyed your devotional.  It's interesting how much a little extra research and information can enrich a scripture study.

Posted (edited)

We have four children ages 9 to 16, so their are six of us.

Each day of the week (Monday through Saturday) one of us leads a 15 minute discussion on some aspect from this weeks reading during family devotional time (usually at 5:45 AM before the teenagers go to seminary). The one leading the discussion uses scriptures from the reading assignment for the week supplemented with other scriptures as he or she is inspired.

On Sunday we review and share what we  got out  church that day.

Edited by Danzo
  • Like 1