Seriously No Politics ×

How was two hour church?

20 minutes ago, Gray said:

I can say that at least so far the quality of the experience has actually improved in my ward. It's not just shorter. It's like people are putting more into things because there isn't so much time to waste.

It still could be that people are putting more into things because the change has caused a bit of a boost to attitude and such.  Change can be seen as exciting and boost the atmosphere a bit, all on it's own. 

I've worked for a few companies who make significant restructuring overhaul type changes every year, or every two years.  It's done not because the result of the changes make things run better but because change keeps people interested.  In some ways it doesn't matter much what changes occur, as long as the results follow some sort of acceptable corporate or business model.  

We have a very little time frame to make too many conclusions about how this is so much better, it seems to me.  This year, the Church may see quite a boost to attendance figures and activity rates, but I'd guess in the long run it'll mostly be a wash.  The people who maintain after this year will be the same people who were participating fully before the change, with some differences, I'm guessing.  But we'll see, maybe this will boost activity world wide from 30% to 35%, or something.  If so, that'd be a big win for the church.  That many more tithing dollars would more than justify any other losses/issues/problems. 

This could end up being very instructive to the Church though.  It could mean that Church really needs to keep the membership more interested by implementing changes.  It may very well be Nelson's vision--keep on introducing small changes to keep people interested.  

Edited by stemelbow
37 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

OR...

They could hold church every other week. Think how many more wards could meet in one building if there were a two week rotation of two-hour church. The church is to "meet together oft" but how do we know that "oft" must be every week? It's the cultural norm but is it required? I don't know. Many would respond by suggesting that it's important to participate regularly in the ordinance of the sacrament. Fair point, but what is "regularly". We often skip weeks in the church for bad weather, stake conferences, special regional conferences, general conference etc, and I don't know that people are negatively impacted by not having the sacrament that week.

Having said all that, I don't really think the church would move to an every other week kind of schedule but there really isn't any reason I can see why it couldn't be done if it became a necessity or if the brethren decided to change things up some more.

That would be quite a change considering our current church culture.  I mean, it sounds interesting, but I too wouldn't think the Church would move to that kind of schedule.  

13 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

It still could be that people are putting more into things because the change has caused a bit of a boost to attitude and such.  Change can be seen as exciting and boost the atmosphere a bit, all on it's own. 

I've worked for a few companies who make significant restructuring overhaul type changes every year, or every two years.  It's done not because the result of the changes make things run better but because change keeps people interested.  In some ways it doesn't matter much what changes occur, as long as the results follow some sort of acceptable corporate or business model.  

We have a very little time frame to make too many conclusions about how this is so much better, it seems to me.  This year, the Church may see quite a boost to attendance figures and activity rates, but I'd guess in the long run it'll mostly be a wash.  The people who maintain after this year will be the same people who were participating fully before the change, with some differences, I'm guessing.  But we'll see, maybe this will boost activity world wide from 30% to 35%, or something.  If so, that'd be a big win for the church.  That many more tithing dollars would more than justify any other losses/issues/problems. 

This could end up being very instructive to the Church though.  It could mean that Church really needs to keep the membership more interested by implementing changes.  It may very well be Nelson's vision--keep on introducing small changes to keep people interested.  

Could be! We'll see how things go

1 hour ago, stemelbow said:

I don’t recall boosting Church attendance being given as a reason for changing the meeting schedule. I thought it was supposed to be part and parcel of promoting home-centered worship. But maybe I missed something. 

I believe I just (40 minutes or so ago) passed a billboard on the way back from Salt Lake for homie.com saying "Best thing since 2 hour church".

Maybe someone else in Utah Valley can confirm I am not delusional.

We are still waiting to experience 2 hour church.  We had stake conference the first week and last week church was cancelled due to the massive storm on the east coast that dumped 3" inches of snow on us.  That's 3 inches, not feet.  We are such wimps.

4 hours ago, gopher said:

We are still waiting to experience 2 hour church.  We had stake conference the first week and last week church was cancelled due to the massive storm on the east coast that dumped 3" inches of snow on us.  That's 3 inches, not feet.  We are such wimps.

My stake is made up of wimps too. We shut down once due to heavy rain. By 7:30 AM the sun was out shining and that persisted through the rest of the day.

8 minutes ago, Rain said:

We shut down a couple of weeks ago for a gas leak.

Um...that sounds legit :) 

We closed once for a bomb threat.

We closed last week for the massive snow.

I've NEVER heard anyone disgruntled about having church cancelled.

Edited by HappyJackWagon
9 hours ago, gopher said:

Wow, that is kind of wimpy.  When we lived in North Dakota I had to call the bishop at 6:30 in the morning to see if I still needed to drive the 20 minutes into church for Ward Council and he wasn't sure yet and had to call me back, and that was when we had 22 inches of snow and it was still snowing.  :lol:

2 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Um...that sounds legit :) 

We closed once for a bomb threat.

We closed last week for the massive snow.

I've NEVER heard anyone disgruntled about having church cancelled.

I was once (the time above when there was no reason) because Bishopric was just ending when we were told and so we still held Ward Council and then me and a counselor still had to take care of tithing and some other administrative stuff. He was an older guy (mid 70s) and thought the whole shut down was dumb and planned to go to church in a neighboring stake. He has a dry wit and as we sat down he commented:

"Well, I guess they are willing to risk our lives even if they are not willing to risk the rest of the ward."

"Well, they probably realized we were expendable. I am single and no one is relying on me to survive and you have one foot in the grave anyways."

"Two feet."

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

Wow, that is kind of wimpy.  When we lived in North Dakota I had to call the bishop at 6:30 in the morning to see if I still needed to drive the 20 minutes into church for Ward Council and he wasn't sure yet and had to call me back, and that was when we had 22 inches of snow and it was still snowing.  :lol:

The snow has mostly melted but the forecast calls for 1/3 inch of snow tonight so they cancelled mutual.  I hope none of the pioneers that crossed the plains in the cold are paying attention to us right now...

12 minutes ago, gopher said:

The snow has mostly melted but the forecast calls for 1/3 inch of snow tonight so they cancelled mutual.  I hope none of the pioneers that crossed the plains in the cold are paying attention to us right now...

You must live in the South? 

19 hours ago, gopher said:

Reminds me of the year I interned for the Las Vegas Review-Journal. The city experienced the first snowstorm it had seen in, like, 60 years. Just a few inches, but it threw them into a tailspin. It closed the airport and it closed schools. They didn’t know how to handle it. 

10 hours ago, Rain said:

We shut down a couple of weeks ago for a gas leak.

Ward chili cook-off the night before?

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Jeffrey Smith said:

Can you please email me this is Jeffrey Smith and I have some very important information to discuss with you I didn't know who else to go to please get in touch with me

Spam?  Apparently they don't realize no email address to contact.

Edited by Calm