bsjkki

How was two hour church?

Second week of two-hour Church and, in my ward, the first week of it when it wasn’t fast and testimony meeting. 

We had only two speakers: a very recently returned sister missionary in our ward (wonderful talk!) and the monthly address from a high council member. 

Our bishop informed me in advance (I lead the music) that, depending on the remaining time, we might forego the intermediate hymn. As it happpened, that’s what we did. 

I hope that doesn’t become the usual pattern. I believe, with the shortened meeting time, we not only need to schedule fewer talks but that our members need to train themselves to give shorter talks. Hymn singing is an uplifting and vital part of our worship, and I hate to see it curtailed because we as a people can’t get used to curbing our verbosity. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 3

We had Ward Conference today.  The Bishop and the Stake President spoke.  I was particularly impressed with the Bishop’s talk about Love and Covenant Keeping.  Rather than an intermediate hymn, the ward choir sang an original composition by the choir director which was based on Moroni 10:3-5.  We only sang one verse of the closing hymn.

• Like 2

I hope you don't mind I put this here, but my husband and I went to another kind of church. It's a group that have all different beliefs and miss their former church's gatherings. They meet every Sunday and have speakers etc. It was my first time and I talked my husband into going. The speaker was Thomas McConkie, he's portrayed in this LDS Living article: http://www.ldsliving.com/How-an-LDS-Man-Related-to-Apostles-Left-Mormonism-Found-Buddhism-and-Became-Mormon-Again/s/86186

When you're semi inactive, I guess it allows you to attend other places. It was pretty good, he had us meditating and learned about mindfulness, and also a sharing time where different people spoke. There was an older LDS missionary sister there, and one of the people that rose their hand to speak had just come from church and she expressed some feelings about finding peace. 

My husband liked it for the most part, but neither of us meditate. I do miss Sunday School where people raise their hand and share their thoughts. 

The spirit was strong. In Elders quorum we actually listened to Elder Rasbands talk in its entirety before discussing it in depth. We never would have had time for that before.

In sacrament we had three speakers and an intercede musical number which shockly was If you could Hie to Kolob.

In the elders quorum lesson we also found many examples relevant to the talk from our come follow me lessons from Matt 1 and Luke 1

• Like 3

Nice write up in the Salt Lake Tribune about peoples experiences with the two hour block. https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/01/13/heightened-energy-packed/comments/#twt-comments

"So, after Week One under the new lineup, folks in many wards, or congregations, across the globe reported unusually high numbers attending adult Sunday school, in some places filling every seat in the room or doubling and tripling the normal class size."

8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I hope that doesn’t become the usual pattern. I believe, with the shortened meeting time, we not only need to schedule fewer talks but that our members need to train themselves to give shorter talks. Hymn singing is an uplifting and vital part of our worship, and I hate to see it curtailed because we as a people can’t get used to curbing our verbosity. 

We didn't even have an intermediate hymn listed on our song board for yesterday. We had three speakers still, and they all manged to stick to time so that we ended at exactly 10am. I'm hoping we'll mix it up a little and sometimes have just two speakers and more congregational singing, as you expressed above.

Elders quorum was interesting. We hold ours in the chapel and all sit together in the pews on one side. Yesterday, we filled that section of the chapel nearly to the back. It was hard to hear everyone's comments as a consequence, but it was a good vibe nonetheless, very energised. And the extra time really shot by!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I hope you don't mind I put this here, but my husband and I went to another kind of church. It's a group that have all different beliefs and miss their former church's gatherings. They meet every Sunday and have speakers etc. It was my first time and I talked my husband into going. The speaker was Thomas McConkie, he's portrayed in this LDS Living article: http://www.ldsliving.com/How-an-LDS-Man-Related-to-Apostles-Left-Mormonism-Found-Buddhism-and-Became-Mormon-Again/s/86186

When you're semi inactive, I guess it allows you to attend other places. It was pretty good, he had us meditating and learned about mindfulness, and also a sharing time where different people spoke. There was an older LDS missionary sister there, and one of the people that rose their hand to speak had just come from church and she expressed some feelings about finding peace. 

My husband liked it for the most part, but neither of us meditate. I do miss Sunday School where people raise their hand and share their thoughts. 

Thanks for sharing Tacenda - are you familiar with https://secularbuddhism.com/ ?  Noah Rasheta is an Ex-mo turned Buddhist teacher, I have enjoyed many of his pod's.  

1 hour ago, changed said:

Thanks for sharing Tacenda - are you familiar with https://secularbuddhism.com/ ?  Noah Rasheta is an Ex-mo turned Buddhist teacher, I have enjoyed many of his pod's.  

Thanks changed, I'll add it to my list! :)

10 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

We had Ward Conference today.  The Bishop and the Stake President spoke.  I was particularly impressed with the Bishop’s talk about Love and Covenant Keeping.  Rather than an intermediate hymn, the ward choir sang an original composition by the choir director which was based on Moroni 10:3-5.  We only sang one verse of the closing hymn.

Reminds me of my term as ward choir director. I couldn’t find anything for us to perform in observance of the priesthood restoration, so I composed a musical setting for the words of Doctrine and Covenants 13. It was my first and (thus far) only foray into musical composition. 

• Like 2

We had 2 speakers and an I remediate song. I was beginning to worry at the last we would really go over,  but the speaker wrapped it up quickly. .

I subbed in RS so that went well - I enjoy teaching and anytime I don't need to be sitting for that long at a time is good.  

To be honest,  two hour church really hasn't done anything for family time.  My college age daughter,  who lives with us,  has her singles ward and the time isn't the same.  She also has calling meetings and institute council things that happen quite often.  Because she has shingles ward FHE on Monday then we have FHE on Sunday. Then when you add mission keep for my son and the young adult fireside last night it really didn't feel different. 

The timing did allow for my husband to do something for a charity that was needed though. It seems nearly everyone else has church in the morning so the fact ours doesn't start till 12 gives us just a little more time than we had before, but then that also comes with him being released from YM and not having those meetings either. 

• Like 1

Shingles ward sounds awful.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rain said:

It's a little painful to her, but it is teaching her not to scratch at the sores in her life, but instead to put the balm of prayer on them.

Tell her there's balm in Gilead. Also Walgreens.

• Like 2

While attendance was not as high yesterday as it was on the first Sunday of the month it is still up about 30 people from the norm. Talked to a member of the Stake Presidency and we are not the exception. All the wards are reporting similar increases.

I was disappointed about one aspect of the guidelines put out by the Church. While it was expressly stated that the occasional singing of a hymn will be appropriate to augment lessons in Relief Society, there was no comparable guideline for lessons in priesthood meeting. 

Maybe Church leaders think men are too reticent to sing as an all-male body, but that is not what I have found. I led the singing in priesthood opening exercises under the old block schedule. Every other year, we met in a room without a piano, so we were obliged to sing without accompaniment. Maybe it was because I always pitched the singing lower than the hymnbook keys so it would be more comfortable for male voices to sing the melody in unison, but we always got good participation with a rich and robust sound. I’m going to miss that. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

While attendance was not as high yesterday as it was on the first Sunday of the month it is still up about 30 people from the norm. Talked to a member of the Stake Presidency and we are not the exception. All the wards are reporting similar increases.

I wonder how much of that is due to there being fewer separate classes to occupy people during that second hour. 

On 1/13/2019 at 11:11 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

Second week of two-hour Church and, in my ward, the first week of it when it wasn’t fast and testimony meeting. 

We had only two speakers: a very recently returned sister missionary in our ward (wonderful talk!) and the monthly address from a high council member. 

Our bishop informed me in advance (I lead the music) that, depending on the remaining time, we might forego the intermediate hymn. As it happpened, that’s what we did. 

My thoughts exactly. I hope hymns and other musical expression in sacrament meetings don’t fall by the wayside in the false belief they are time-consuming and superfluous.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

In sacrament we had three speakers and an intercede musical number which shockly was If you could Hie to Kolob.

All verses? 😬

15 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Nice write up in the Salt Lake Tribune about peoples experiences with the two hour block. https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/01/13/heightened-energy-packed/comments/#twt-comments

"So, after Week One under the new lineup, folks in many wards, or congregations, across the globe reported unusually high numbers attending adult Sunday school, in some places filling every seat in the room or doubling and tripling the normal class size."

The Nehor said,

Moroni elaborates in chapter 10. 

Is there any evidence that all these seat-fillers are inactive members coming back because the meeting time was reduced?

Edited by Bernard Gui

10 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Reminds me of my term as ward choir director. I couldn’t find anything for us to perform in observance of the priesthood restoration, so I composed a musical setting for the words of Doctrine and Covenants 13. It was my first and (thus far) only foray into musical composition. 

Well, I’ve had a few letters to the editor published. ;)

Do you think  ward choirs will still function with the shortened meetings?

Edited by Bernard Gui

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I wonder how much of that is due to there being fewer separate classes to occupy people during that second hour. 

No, I am going off of the Sacrament Meeting count.

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Hello Nehor...

Our ward had an increase also... and more people stayed for Sunday School/RS/PH... overall it was a positive.

GG

4 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Well, I’ve had a few letters to the editor published. ;)

Do you think  ward choirs will still function with the shortened meetings?

That will depend on how supportive local leadership is. Somebody here linked to a Trib article quoting someone who said there had been four speakers in her meeting and that the bishop had said the choir from now on would only perform for “special occasions” like Christmas. 

Two things: 

Four speakers is too many for an hour meeting; three is pushing the envelope. 

And,

A well-executed choir performance is worth half a dozen long-winded sermons, tycker jag. 

• Like 1