Seriously No Politics ×

How was two hour church?

3 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Our Elder's quorum activity committee held a linger longer on December 30th to say good-bye to the 3rd hour.  It was so much fun and we had a ton of people there.  Our bishop doesn't really 'believe' in them but he's fine with having them (or was, when we were the last ward on Sundays) as long as he didn't have to be involved in the planning or execution of it.  

He is just salty because he has to do interviews and cannot come.

4 hours ago, halconero said:

Mostly it's an issue of sufficient priesthood holders showing up on time and volunteering to sit upfront to bless and pass the sacrament. Any ideas about how to improve this are welcome, as I'm currently serving as Exec Sec and it's something we're working to resolve.

If you have enough young men, call a young men's leader (adult or youth, more than one if necessary....needs to be someone who is comfortable pushing others, not just dependable himself) you can depend on to contact the kids and tell them to bug help their parents to be there on time.  If any young men own their own cars and the ward is not to spread out, ask them to car pool other young men to be there on time.  Find an agreed upon reward for a month of this, then every quarter for continued efforts.  And maybe get the bishop to include gas money as part of the young men's budget?

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Ours used to be carpeted too. The church seems to be getting away from that though, from what I can tell. Playing sports on carpet generally results in more injuries. Hard wood is safer. So a few years ago we got our hard wood floors and it is glorious :)

In a building with our design, the overflow areas are not intended as sports courts. As I’ve intimated, we have the stake center for that. I’m not even certain we do have the hoops. I’ll have to check next time I’m there. 

6 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

Same. When i was a teacher, i always preferred to take tge smaller room and class. It allowed for more individual participation and some great class discussions. 

Church was good. I think i was enjoying most being at church at 9 instead of 1 for the first time in several years. Our sunday school was also extremely full. We somehow crammed in there, but i do wonder if they’ll split the class to better accommodate. It may take a moment though. They just finished reorganizing the primary and our bishopric was replaced. Right now in our ward we’re in a cycle of baby blessings and convert confirmations. Those can take up some time. I think we ended close to on time though.

with luv, 

BD

Moving to baby blessings at home may be a possibility given how some wards have large numbers, but I assume this is mostly localized around universities and other areas that attract new families.

12 minutes ago, Calm said:

If you have enough young men, call a young men's leader (adult or youth, more than one if necessary....needs to be someone who is comfortable pushing others, not just dependable himself) you can depend on to contact the kids and tell them to bug help their parents to be there on time.

I think it’s a singles ward. 

33 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I recommended just not reading it because it was aimed at a problem in two of the wards in the Stake and we are not one of them. I do not think anyone from the High Council was there so we could have gotten away with it too. :vader:

Oh! The best part of being a high councilman was being able to spy on the wards and report the malefactors to the sp.

38 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Oh definitely.  I assumed that that was a given.  

Yes. Part of the thinking may be that rowdiness in the building is inappropriate on the Sabbath, because it is the Sabbath.

4 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

“And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for you meddling High Councilmen and your dog!”

Watch what you say about my dog. He is highly skilled at sniffing out heretics.

Edited by Bernard Gui
1 minute ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

We’ve mastered holding and cleaning up from our Second Sunday Social in under an hour so we can do it even when we’re the morning ward. 

We have three wards, so spreading things out is difficult.

9 minutes ago, Calm said:

Moving to baby blessings at home may be a possibility given how some wards have large numbers, but I assume this is mostly localized around universities and other areas that attract new families.

Baby blessings and similar things are what bond us together as a community. 

3 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I think it’s a singles ward. 

Then I would sign up one or two men, make it a calling.  And then make a list of those who are willing to step up to fill the gaps at five minutes to the start for when the ones who were asked don't show...they should be instructed to do it on their own when they walk in if it looks sparse, but have the overseer have a sign so he can signal them if needed when people are seated.  Have him up front so people know where to look to see if they are needed and then he can sit in the pews after the sacrament.

1 minute ago, Calm said:

Then I would sign up one or two men, make it a calling.  And then make a list of those who are willing to step up to fill the gaps at five minutes to the start for when the ones who were asked don't show...they should be instructed to do it on their own when they walk in if it looks sparse, but have the overseer have a sign so he can signal them if needed when people are seated.  Have him up front so people know where to look to see if they are needed and then he can sit in the pews after the sacrament.

Not sure, but isn't it the responsibility of the deacon's quorum president to assign those who pass the sacrament?

11 minutes ago, Calm said:

I don't mind either way. I've enjoyed the 2 times I got to witness a baby blessing at a house. It was definitely a more intimate get-together. But I don't mind the community experience either, as long as they're cognizant of time and plan for it in the program. It's just a bit of  running giggle between me and DH.

With luv,

BD

30 minutes ago, Calm said:

If you have enough young men, call a young men's leader (adult or youth, more than one if necessary....needs to be someone who is comfortable pushing others, not just dependable himself) you can depend on to contact the kids and tell them to bug help their parents to be there on time.  If any young men own their own cars and the ward is not to spread out, ask them to car pool other young men to be there on time.  Find an agreed upon reward for a month of this, then every quarter for continued efforts.  And maybe get the bishop to include gas money as part of the young men's budget?

It's a YSA ward, but I think calling their parents may still be an effective way of getting them out. :)

50 minutes ago, Calm said:

My previous ward just assigned attendees by alphabetically to ensure even spread.

That could work I guess.  I would like the option to choose myself I think though. 

Honestly, I think I would prefer it if they just scrapped Sunday School and did priesthood & RS instead every week.  I think SS has been a failure as far as actual study of the scriptures is concerned, and this every other week format along with the new style of teaching seems to make it even more difficult.  

10 minutes ago, hope_for_things said:

That could work I guess.  I would like the option to choose myself I think though. 

Honestly, I think I would prefer it if they just scrapped Sunday School and did priesthood & RS instead every week.  I think SS has been a failure as far as actual study of the scriptures is concerned, and this every other week format along with the new style of teaching seems to make it even more difficult.  

I must say, Sunday School is my personal struggle. I have not attended most of my adult life. I've been in primary for a lot of that time but will find any excuse not to attend. I liked going to gospel principles when I had a calling that allowed Sunday School attendance. I think if you had an incredible teacher, Sunday School could be great but that is not usually the case. It's a large group. We don't have professionally trained teachers. There are always those people that will dominate comments and the old manuals were basic. One of the most difficult skills to develop as a teachers is controlling the discussion. I would hope the Come Follow Me program helps make Sunday School better. I hope it does but the classes are now larger and our teachers will struggle teaching in the chapel.

59 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Yes. Part of the thinking may be that rowdiness in the building is inappropriate on the Sabbath, because it is the Sabbath.

Does that mean that rowdiness is inappropriate on the Sabbath, no matter where someone is?

1 hour ago, hope_for_things said:

Not that I go, but what about the learning of the scriptures thoroughly such as the Bible/BoM/DC/PoG? RS/PH wouldn't do that would it? 

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

I must say, Sunday School is my personal struggle. I have not attended most of my adult life. I've been in primary for a lot of that time but will find any excuse not to attend. I liked going to gospel principles when I had a calling that allowed Sunday School attendance. I think if you had an incredible teacher, Sunday School could be great but that is not usually the case. It's a large group. We don't have professionally trained teachers. There are always those people that will dominate comments and the old manuals were basic. One of the most difficult skills to develop as a teachers is controlling the discussion. I would hope the Come Follow Me program helps make Sunday School better. I hope it does but the classes are now larger and our teachers will struggle teaching in the chapel.

Well, I'm new to the come follow me manuals, but my first week into this endeavor and just looking over the content, it seems like the new format makes it less structured in general, which really just puts more responsibility on the teacher to develop a cohesive lesson plan that takes people through the relevant materials.  

Unfortunately, what I mostly get out of SS is scriptural proof texting and not any actual study of or engagement with the material.  I feel like I learned way more in my high school seminary courses, than I ever do in SS.  

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Moving to baby blessings at home may be a possibility given how some wards have large numbers ...

You just triggered a memory. Elder Bednar when he did our training here told us that the day was coming when sacrament meetings might consist entirely of hymns, prayers, the ordinance of the sacrament, and other ordinances (such as baby blessings and, especially, confirmations). He made sure to let us know that there's nothing wrong with that.

3 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Not that I go, but what about the learning of the scriptures thoroughly such as the Bible/BoM/DC/PoG? RS/PH wouldn't do that would it? 

Our Priesthood classes consist of reviewing recent conference talks these days.  Not much in the way of scriptures.  I really don't think that Mormons know how to really study scriptures.  We go about everything in a backwards way, like choosing a concept that we want to teach, and then finding passages that we think support this concept.  Rather than learning from the complexity of the scriptures and trying to understand the context and intent of the original authors, we're essentially just using scripture to support an idea that is already pre-packaged.  The scriptures function as authoritative weight to support an already developed idea.