Seriously No Politics ×

How was two hour church?

I think everyone was confused about what the course of study is supposed to be for Sunday School.  The teacher posed most questions as "What did you think when you read xyz during your personal study...?" and it was mostly blank stares from the class. 

We had a greater than normal sacrament attendance and attendance in gospel doctrine was much higher than usual. But I'm the ward clerk so I was there 7 hours and 45 minutes. I didn't expect that to change. All in all, a good day and people showed a willingness to stick around after church for appointments that previously have been squeezed into three hour block. 

Pretty much the same as the three hour church, only an hour shorter.

Both meetings ran on time; some challenges with children knowing which class and where they were in, which was expected; Gospel Doctrine had more people than normal and then we were done. Folks seem to spend time afterward talking with each other in the hallways. 

We had a baby blessing so there were more people because of that.  I really liked it though!  Gospel Doctrine was the best class that it's ever been since I began attending the ward over 5 years ago.  We had the same teacher but everyone was engaged with the topic and the discussion never stopped the whole 50 minutes.  

Our primary and our sunday school presidency are super organized and really hands on so it looked like sunday school for the youth ran like clockwork.  They began handing out information on what classrooms the kids would be going to and who the teachers would be (and what the schedule would be for primary) to parents a couple of weeks ago.

Just now, bluebell said:

We had a baby blessing so there were more people because of that.  I really liked it though!  Gospel Doctrine was the best class that it's ever been since I began attending the ward over 5 years ago.  We had the same teacher but everyone was engaged with the topic and the discussion never stopped the whole 50 minutes.  

Our primary and our sunday school presidency are super organized and really hands on so it looked like sunday school for the youth ran like clockwork.  They began handing out information on what classrooms the kids would be going to and who the teachers would be (and what the schedule would be for primary) to parents a couple of weeks ago.

lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is like 4 families running our ward!

I attended two wards yesterday, my own and the one we share the building with. (The stake president asked me to attend both in order to detect any concerns or issues.) Our sacrament meeting ran 8 minutes overtime. We're going to have to do something about that; we regularly ran overtime with testimonies at 70 minutes. It was a good service. I loved sustaining seven Aaronic Priesthood ordinations at the beginning! Sunday school was excellent, with everyone engaged. Clearly most people had studied in preparation and had things to share. We were on topic the whole time. The time flew.

The second ward also had a solid testimony meeting ... and ended on time. No Aaronic Priesthood ordinations or advancements. Their Sunday school was a bit rough. First, the teacher called on someone to give the opening prayer. Then he spent most of the time on what seemed like pet topics instead of the assigned study for the week -- very 'academic'. Interestingly, the class members were all still engaged and clearly prepared, and the comments were of value to me, though the time didn't pass as fast, in my opinion.

Attendance in both wards seemed normal for this time of year. (Many people are still away on holidays, but there were also quite a few visitors.)

I started my day with 6am stake presidency meeting and got home at 4:30pm, after visiting some elderly shut-ins, which was possibly a record return time for me!

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
4 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I started my day with 6am stake presidency meeting and got home at 4:30pm, after visiting some elderly shut-ins, which was possibly a record return time for me!

That is a long day! I know our Sunday School tried to meet in the RS room but was too large and had to move to the chapel. I know some wards are splitting Gospel Doctrine into two classes.

1 minute ago, bsjkki said:

I know our Sunday School tried to meet in the RS room but was too large and had to move to the chapel. I know some wards are splitting Gospel Doctrine into two classes.

Is this because more people are coming to church? Or is there some other mechanism I'm missing? (Fewer teachers in primary?)

35 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Did everyone have more people? It looked like we did too but I don’t know normal numbers

Stake conference, so who knows.  Don't numbers usually go up first of the year?

Sacrament Meeting started at 10:30, was done at 11:30.  I took a few minutes to help my daughter find her SS class.  I then got to Primary at about 11:35, and opening exercises had already started!  So, at least 5 minutes early.  So, next week I will check in with all the people I don't get to see in RS and arrive at about 11:38, because I'm cranky like that.  We had our 20 minutes for the lesson, which was just about right (10-year-olds).

1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Is this because more people are coming to church? Or is there some other mechanism I'm missing? (Fewer teachers in primary?)

There is no more Family History class or Gospel Principles class in my ward so about 20 more people in gospel doctrine.

We had five people get up to bear testimony with five minutes left (the bishop had asked to finish at seven minutes to the hour to leave time for the hymn and prayer, and it was five minutes before that). I thought for sure that we were going to go over time, especially since one was an older gentleman who likes to ramble. But, I’ll be darned, they each took less than a minute and we finished on time. Second hour finished on time too, which was more amazing, since we usually have primary kids outside trying to get in. Maybe we’ll go over time next week, with RS, but I’m hopeful.

2 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Did everyone have more people? It looked like we did too but I don’t know normal numbers

No. 

40 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

There is no more Family History class or Gospel Principles class in my ward so about 20 more people in gospel doctrine.

Oh, right. We didn't have any other special class besides Gospel Principles, but I know realise they were all in with us. I liked it.