Seriously No Politics ×

Access to the Church website and online tools

One of the recently excommunicated persons on my FB friends list is concerned about still being "counted as a member" because they have some limited functionality on the Church website. 

Allowing for lag time while the system is updated,  I suggested that even never-members have a limited amount of access to Church website functions. 

Am I mistaken? Does anyone know?

Anyone can create an account on lds.org. Depending on how the account is created, it can be tied to a membership record, but it doesn't have to be. Access to different areas on the site is dependent on membership status, callings, etc. Non-members, for example, would only have access to notes they've made, personal donations, and similar things.

It could be problematic to remove all access for an excommunicated or resigned member, as they would also lose access to any saved notes and past donation records.

6 hours ago, flameburns623 said:

One of the recently excommunicated persons on my FB friends list is concerned about still being "counted as a member" because they have some limited functionality on the Church website. 

Allowing for lag time while the system is updated,  I suggested that even never-members have a limited amount of access to Church website functions. 

Yes, FamilySearch is free to non-members so accounts opened while members may still be active.

6 hours ago, flameburns623 said:

I was excommunicated, and I could still access lds.org resources, but could not use the familysearch tools.

I thought it was interesting that this individual was saying that SLC was responsible for his excommunication but now he's saying that it was his Stake President, which people were saying all along but he wanted to believe  that due to his "high profile persona" SLC stepped in, which he admitted didn't actually happen

"So I had to send my appeal to my stake president who assured me he forwarded it along. I get a call tonight from my stake president saying my appeal was denied but that he has been instructed not to show me the appeal denial. What a [expletive] up system. So a system that comes from Jesus has the person{him] appealing through the person{the Stake President] whose decision[Not SLC] your{sic} appealing and then that same person is telling you your {sic} appeal has been denied with no evidence he ever sent it on......"

Edited by Duncan
On 1/4/2019 at 8:36 AM, flameburns623 said:

When I voluntarily resigned in 2008, once I had my letter and the little pamphlet inviting me to return, I pretty much moved on.  I focused on the faith community I had moved over to.

After you left what church did you start attending?

On 1/4/2019 at 12:51 AM, flameburns623 said:

Not quite sure what you mean but there are sections of the site that are accessible only by having a certain calling. But by their very nature that also excludes you from other sections of the site.  So virtually everyone has only "limited access" if you want to see it that way, unless you are perhaps the stake president or something like that.

If your calling is as a young men's leader in a ward you don't need access to all the missionary information for example. If you were you called to another position all that would change.

I am a member of the high council. I can actually see more information on the ward to which I am assigned than I can on my own ward.

Edited by mfbukowski