Sign in to follow this  
Bill "Papa" Lee

A Unique Church, and a Church of Wonderful Service

My difficulty in posting, has taught me to type smaller paragraphs, to make sure I catch all errors, so forgive the "style". 

Our new Prophet is moving at lightening speed, maybe is due to age, to make sure his vision is realized, or these plans have may been in the works for years. But we no longer have changes announced in General Conference, (well some are) but many in news conferences, and made so quickly, that  on the local level, Bishops and Stake Presidents, are scrambling to keep up. 

One change, which I am happy about, is that 11 year olds can move into the YM and YW's program, as I have seen in my own grandchildren that by that time, and sooner they see Primary as to childlike for their age. But, if such a change was in the works for some time, why announce just a month after General Conference, like other changes made in between?

One change I support, as I too (like the words of the Primay song) follow the Prophet, that has left many friends feeling left out, is the combination of the Priesthood. Once we had two groups responsible for all adult members of a Ward, which were six men, eight when you count the secretary, now just three, or four. Our Elders Quorum President, devolved from a happy go lucky kind of guy, to at times weeping in meetings. Now, our new Elders Quorum President, will only meet with the Priesthood as a group, 20 times a year. No more opening excersizes, to discuss projects, and only at times hearing how families are doing, as there is no more monthly reporting. Reporting that gave Quorum Presidents some idea of who might have being neglected. We can call it ministering, but it is just the same thing with a different name. Because, if people were doing home and visiting teaching correctly, they were already ministering.

One very good friend, who was called into the Sunday School Presidency with me, which lasted three weeks, told me, "Bill, I was once consumed with my Church responsibilities, but come the new year, my job is to ring a bell 20 times a year". I tried to lighten the mood and tell him, "no, 24 times". His reply was quick, "you are forgetting General Conferences and Stake Conferences". 

What was unique, and what keep many so involved, was the many callings, because service, creates love for others, and a greater desire to serve.. What caused so many to attend Sunday School, is the fact that it was between the only two meeting you were required to attend, that were asked about to get a Temple Recommend. Also, every Ward (and you all know who they are, and they may be you) has those who don't like Sunday School, and sit out in the hallway. My fear, is that on the two Sunday's we have Sunday School, one might be trampled after Sacrament if you are standing near the door. 

So. I pity the Sunday School teachers, who may have few in the classroom, and the Elders Quorum Presidency, who will need to live at Church every assigned weeknight, doing PPI's, because they cannot do anything on Sunday's, not even announcements. 

3 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

My difficulty in posting, has taught me to type smaller paragraphs, to make sure I catch all errors, so forgive the "style". 

Our new Prophet is moving at lightening speed, maybe is due to age, to make sure his vision is realized, or these plans have may been in the works for years. But we no longer have changes announced in General Conference, (well some are) but many in news conferences, and made so quickly, that  on the local level, Bishops and Stake Presidents, are scrambling to keep up. 

One change, which I am happy about, is that 11 year olds can move into the YM and YW's program, as I have seen in my own grandchildren that by that time, and sooner they see Primary as to childlike for their age. But, if such a change was in the works for some time, why announce just a month after General Conference, like other changes made in between?

Because we as a people are not ready or the way the change wasn't ready? I don't know. 

I do know that I have heard a lot of negative things about the changes before the people had even given them a chance. Some people really resist change. Maybe they needed time to work through one before being given another. 

One change I support, as I too (like the words of the Primay song) follow the Prophet, that has left many friends feeling left out, is the combination of the Priesthood. 

But your posts show you didn't like this at first either.  Give them time.  They might start to support the combination as well. 

Once we had two groups responsible for all adult members of a Ward, which were six men, eight when you count the secretary, now just three, or four. Our Elders Quorum President, devolved from a happy go lucky kind of guy, to at times weeping in meetings. Now, our new Elders Quorum President, will only meet with the Priesthood as a group, 20 times a year. No more opening excersizes, to discuss projects, and only at times hearing how families are doing, as there is no more monthly reporting. Reporting that gave Quorum Presidents some idea of who might have being neglected.

The reporting is there if the presidencies are doing it, but this time they get better, more in depth and clear reports rather than a person was visited or not.

We can call it ministering, but it is just the same thing with a different name. Because, if people were doing home and visiting teaching correctly, they were already ministering.

One very good friend, who was called into the Sunday School Presidency with me, which lasted three weeks, told me, "Bill, I was once consumed with my Church responsibilities, but come the new year, my job is to ring a bell 20 times a year". I tried to lighten the mood and tell him, "no, 24 times". His reply was quick, "you are forgetting General Conferences and Stake Conferences". 

Well cool! Now he can have more time to spend with family, minister, do family history work, community service etc. :)

What was unique, and what keep many so involved, was the many callings, because service, creates love for others, and a greater desire to serve..

You are so right. How wonderful it is to be able to go into the community and feed his sheep because our callings take less time.

I cannot tell you how cool it was to talk with a pastor the other day. We talked about how all these churches and organizations are working together, side by side. When President Nelson talks about the gathering of Israel I really can see it unfolding before my eyes. It is exciting!  Unprompted by me, this pastor talked of the gathering so he was seeing it, not knowing my personal beliefs.

But if we as church members are going to be part of it we need to have the time to get out there and serve outside of the church as well as in.

What caused so many to attend Sunday School, is the fact that it was between the only two meeting you were required to attend, that were asked about to get a Temple Recommend. Also, every Ward (and you all know who they are, and they may be you) has those who don't like Sunday School, and sit out in the hallway. My fear, is that on the two Sunday's we have Sunday School, one might be trampled after Sacrament if you are standing near the door. 

If they are not getting anything out of Sunday School then 1. It needs to be taught in a way that people can get something out of it and 2. realize people are adults and we don't need to keep something on either end to make them choose to attend. It's ok to let them make their own choices.

So. I pity the Sunday School teachers, who may have few in the classroom,

When I was over homemaking I felt very inspired to bring in a teacher to talk about depression. As I sat at the back with the RSP and expressed how frustrated I was that I felt so inspired and yet very few showed up. She told me, "look. The people who needed to be here are here." Sure enough, those that needed to hear this speaker were there and it was ok that others who didn't need it were not there.

It changed things in a big way for me. No longer did I plan things to get a lot of people there. I looked at needs and then planned things around those needs. It was so much more effective.

and the Elders Quorum Presidency, who will need to live at Church every assigned weeknight, doing PPI's, because they cannot do anything on Sunday's, not even announcements. 

We have 262 families listed in our directory though I KNOW personally some of those people no longer live here. If we assume 262 ministering brothers, which  I'm not, then that number spread out over a quarter makes for 22 a week divided by 3 presidency members is just over 7 a week. 15 minutes each makes one 2 hour evening per presidency per week.

And personally, knowing that some people have more than 1 family, knowing there are lots of single women I would say that the time needed for PPIs is much less. 

With all that, I think things are going to be ok. :)

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rain said:

Because we as a people are not ready or the way the change wasn't ready? I don't know. 

I do know that I have heard a lot of negative things about the changes before the people had even given them a chance. Some people really resist change. Maybe they needed time to work through one before being given another. 

But your posts show you didn't like this at first either.  Give them time.  They might start to support the combination as well. 

The reporting is there if the presidencies are doing it, but this time they get better, more in depth and clear reports rather than a person was visited or not.

I fully admit, I am slow to change, maybe it is a combination of technology, and age.. Also, I spoke of concern that fewer Priesthood leaders who must now deal with every family, now only half as before. Bey, my back and disabilities love the new two hour block. As for reporting, issues about families. If people were doing home teaching right, they would have already been ministering as they should, as in my five years as the High Priest Group Leaser, I wanted details above numbers, and would act of them if needed. Even if I had to minister to their needs alone

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

So. I pity .......... the Elders Quorum Presidency, who will need to live at Church every assigned weeknight, doing PPI's, because they cannot do anything on Sunday's, not even announcements. 

Thats certainly not the way I understand it.

21 hours ago, Rain said:

When I was over homemaking I felt very inspired to bring in a teacher to talk about depression. As I sat at the back with the RSP and expressed how frustrated I was that I felt so inspired and yet very few showed up. She told me, "look. The people who needed to be here are here." Sure enough, those that needed to hear this speaker were there and it was ok that others who didn't need it were not there.

But there is a simple and cheap solution for depression.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:33 AM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Really?  He thinks his only job will be to ring the bell?   There is a lot a SS Presidency could be doing.  Setting up study groups for singles and empty nesters, and making sure they are all invited to at least one, preferably two.  Checking on said study groups. Sending out a weekly or at least bi-weekly email reminding people of the lesson topic and suggesting extra resources.  

• Like 2