Sign in to follow this  
Bill "Papa" Lee

When all that you have to give, is no longer wanted.

8 minutes ago, poptart said:

That bothers me, kids see that behavior and start thinking that it's ok to treat their elders like that.  Someone like you who has done nothing but serve should be treasured. At the very least you can be an example to the younger missionaries on how to live a good life.  I see this a lot nowadays, it sickens me the lack of respect people have towards the disabled and those who are suffering from health problems.  Where's the compassion?  The decency?  The Christ like behavior?  It's because of behavior like that people either leave a religion or in the case of those who are seeking do a 180 and swear off religion outright.  With the internet and sites like reddit stuff like this spreads fast and people with kids who grew up unchurched think long and hard before committing to a religion that treats those who have fallen on hard times this way.  Also all this over an app?  Wow....
I'm not the biggest fan of smart phone technology, half the time I want to skip the thing across a lake and see how far it will go. 

Will also add, people like that should be taken to your average nursing home that accepts medicaid, full of people who've been abandoned by their families.  Life has a funny way of revisiting misdeeds like this, know a few residents who constantly go on about how they want to die/wish they had blown their brains out.  Really wish people would wake up and start treating each other better, for many of us that's the future that awaits.

Thank you for this, but there are more good people and in every Faith, than bad. But to your point, the bad are often what people see and remember when they leave, or never find a Church. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

I doubt any offence or judgement was meant here, perhaps you're being a bit more sensitive than you need to.

Maybe so, one more fault to add to my legion of weaknesses. It does not matter, I think I am done with it all. 

19 minutes ago, poptart said:

That bothers me, kids see that behavior and start thinking that it's ok to treat their elders like that.  Someone like you who has done nothing but served should be treasured. At the very least you can be an example to the younger missionaries on how to live a good life.  I see this a lot nowadays, it sickens me the lack of respect people have towards the disabled and those who are suffering from health problems.  Where's the compassion?  The decency?  The Christ like behavior?  It's because of behavior like that people either leave a religion or in the case of those who are seeking do a 180 and swear off religion outright.  With the internet and sites like reddit stuff like this spreads fast and people with kids who grew up unchurched think long and hard before committing to a religion that treats those who have fallen on hard times this way.  Also all this over an app?  Wow....
I'm not the biggest fan of smart phone technology, half the time I want to skip the thing across a lake and see how far it will go. 

Will also add, people like that should be taken to your average nursing home that accepts medicaid, full of people who've been abandoned by their families.  Life has a funny way of revisiting misdeeds like this, know a few residents who constantly go on about how they want to die/wish they had blown their brains out.  Really wish people would wake up and start treating each other better, for many of us that's the future that awaits.

I didn't want to bring up my experience with technology and the ward, but will now. I moved to a new ward and for some reason I'm unable to log in to see the ward map and directory. I've informed the former ward clerk and he wouldn't really help or get back to me, then finally he told me there is a new ward clerk and I asked for his number and texted him. He said he'd look into it and then I'd have to keep reminding him of the situation and he kept saying he'd look into it. But still nothing. So I've been told to go to church headquarters by someone, now don't remember. 

But still, why oh why is everything online and no paper directory? Maybe it's not that way in some wards but seems like they are ignoring the older crowd. I miss that paper directory with the homes on a map on the back, when I was RS secretary that was part of my calling putting together that thing. I remember the horror of realizing once after making and handing out several copies that I'd left out someone's name and number. So there's that, but still, maybe the ward clerks could just make those that need a paper one for crying out loud.

And like Papa I've tried to serve, and currently I'm in Compassionate Service as a calling that I asked for, but never get asked to do anything. Surely there are needs out there since we have a very cut up ward area with a lot of inactives. But nope, and I have complained that I'm not being utilized over and over again. So I'm re-thinking and going to try what Changed mentioned.

Also, my ministering partner that is a choir member in the Tabernacle Choir, or whatever it's called, won't get together and discuss our ladies, even by phone. She texted once and said she didn't know we were partners when I'd left a message for her long ago then I texted her back and said that's fine, that whenever we could get together that'd be great. Then she texted that she was on a hike. And then I never heard from her after that. Also my ministering sisters won't visit. They attempted once very recently but I was unable to because I was out to dinner, I then told her I'd love a phone call. But once again, nothing. So I hear where Papa is coming from. 

Sorry this is so long Poptart it's also for Papa to read as well, so hopefully he'll read and know he's not alone. Also, just received an email the other day from a counselor in the Relief Society asking how the last three months went with ministering and I told her the whole thing and that maybe I'm not a good fit for either being ministered to nor ministering, so we'll see what happens. 

Edited by Tacenda

5 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Thank you for this, but there are more good people and in every Faith, than bad. But to your point, the bad are often what people see and remember when they leave, or never find a Church. 

Was reading something about how younger people feel about religion, while I agree with you once you've been burned enough you're just done.  If you're a minority or LGBT it just intensifies the affect.  I know there are churches that run LGBT as well as other ministries that cater to immigrants and Native Americans, thing is if the bad behavior happens when your going through a very bad time in life you more or less toss your hands in the air and wash your hands of religion.  Considering Islam and even Paganism is growing I'm really suprised Christians haven't started taking note.  It's quite a statement when something like Hurricane Harvey hits and a Mosque is one of the first to open their doors but good old Joel Olsteen has to be shamed on social media to open his doors, people see that.

3 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Maybe so, one more fault to add to my legion of weaknesses. It does not matter, I think I am done with it all. 

No, I think your concerns are valid, esp. as a vet this kind of behavior is unacceptable.  This is one way you get people to leave a religion.  People have flaws but leaders are supposed to lead by example.  People don't like hearing it but leadership can make or brake any organization, think as a vet you can appreciate this.

Edited by poptart

4 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I didn't want to bring up my experience with technology and the ward, but will now. I moved to a new ward and for some reason I'm unable to log in to see the ward map and directory. I've informed the former ward clerk and he wouldn't really help or get back to me, then finally he told me there is a new ward clerk and I asked for his number and texted him. He said he'd look into it and then I'd have to keep reminding him of the situation and he kept saying he'd look into it. But still nothing. So I've been told to go to church headquarters by someone, now don't remember. 

But still, why oh why is everything online and no paper directory? Maybe it's not that way in some wards but seems like they are ignoring the older crowd. I miss that paper directory with the homes on a map on the back, when I was RS secretary that was part of my calling putting together that thing. I remember the horror of realizing once after making and handing out several copies that I'd left out someone's name and number. So there's that, but still, maybe the ward clerks could just make those that need a paper one for crying out loud.

And like Papa I've tried to serve, and currently I'm in Compassionate Service as a calling that I asked for, but never get asked to do anything. Surely there are needs out there since we have a very cut up ward area with a lot of inactives. But nope, and I have complained that I'm not being utilized over and over again. So I'm re-thinking and going to try what Changed mentioned.

Also, my ministering partner that is a choir member in the Tabernacle Choir, or whatever it's called, won't get together and discuss our ladies, even by phone. She texted once and said she didn't know we were partners when I'd left a message for her long ago then I texted her back and said that's fine, that whenever we could get together that'd be great. Then she texted that she was on a hike. And then I never heard from her after that. Also my ministering sisters won't visit. They attempted once very recently but I was unable to because I was out to dinner, I then told her I'd love a phone call. But once again, nothing. So I hear where Papa is coming from. 

Sorry this is so long Poptart it's also for Papa to read as well, so hopefully he'll read and know he's not alone. Also, just received an email the other day from a counselor in the Relief Society asking how the last three months went with ministering and I told her the whole thing and that maybe I'm not a good fit for either being ministered to nor ministering, so we'll see what happens. 

I tried teaching my now elderly mother how to use a smart phone, her carrier more or less shoved one on her.  It's not too hard to learn but for her it's a struggle.  I just handle all the tech for her.  Someone should walk up to some of these people and smack em, not everyone grew up with technology and sooner or later they'll be in the same position you and Papa are in.  I've seen how tech oriented HS kids are, it's scary.

Here's a nice counterpoint, lots of kids nowadays are starting to lag motor skills wise, they're now having to take special classes to make up for it.  I'd say take a good chunk of the kids you see glued to a smart phone and put em in the woods or even 10 blocks from their house, lets see if they can find their way home without a phone.

Just now, poptart said:

I tried teaching my now elderly mother how to use a smart phone, her carrier more or less shoved one on her.  It's not too hard to learn but for her it's a struggle.  I just handle all the tech for her.  Someone should walk up to some of these people and smack em, not everyone grew up with technology and sooner or later they'll be in the same position you and Papa are in.  I've seen how tech oriented HS kids are, it's scary.

Here's a nice counterpoint, lots of kids nowadays are starting to lag motor skills wise, they're now having to take special classes to make up for it.  I'd say take a good chunk of the kids you see glued to a smart phone and put em in the woods or even 10 blocks from their house, lets see if they can find their way home without a phone.

😀😆

As someone who has been a ward clerk both with and without paper directories and maps I prefer the latter immensely. Paper directories are always out of date. I get texts three or four times a week moving people around inside the ward and in and out of it so directories are quickly obsolete. I had one older brother ask for a paper directory and I printed one for him and six months later he came back to complain that a lot of it was wrong. Of course it is! I do sympathize a bit but I do not want to try to maintain and update paper records.

As to people texting instead of calling, I am guilty as charged. I dislike talking on the phone. One thing I always hated about phone calls was that when someone calls they demand your attention RIGHT NOW. Texts and emails mean if I am in the middle of something I do not have to drop whatever I am doing and deal with it right now. It seems like an imposition now. I rarely answer my phone now unless it is family or friend or someone in the Bishopric. Everyone else can leave a message.

But yeah, the ministering still needs to happen......

• Like 2

😀😆

Whenever I read about people being mugged and having their brand new super expensive Iphone stolen I always have to laugh a little inside, I can picture some kid screaming stop thief!  Then after chasing him for a few blocks realizes he's lost without google maps.

13 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Thank you, we do seem to be moving so quickly, in technology and other changes, that those older, and certainly the disabled are being left behind. 

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

As someone who has been a ward clerk both with and without paper directories and maps I prefer the latter immensely. Paper directories are always out of date. I get texts three or four times a week moving people around inside the ward and in and out of it so directories are quickly obsolete. I had one older brother ask for a paper directory and I printed one for him and six months later he came back to complain that a lot of it was wrong. Of course it is! I do sympathize a bit but I do not want to try to maintain and update paper records.

As to people texting instead of calling, I am guilty as charged. I dislike talking on the phone. One thing I always hated about phone calls was that when someone calls they demand your attention RIGHT NOW. Texts and emails mean if I am in the middle of something I do not have to drop whatever I am doing and deal with it right now. It seems like an imposition now. I rarely answer my phone now unless it is family or friend or someone in the Bishopric. Everyone else can leave a message.

But yeah, the ministering still needs to happen......

I agree about the texting, but I thought if she wanted to visit as a ministering sister, she could call rather than visit last minute, haha. And guess what!?! After writing out that long post on here, I went and called the church office building, and they connected me with this young lady that got me in my ward directory and everything else. The problem was that I was using an old username and not my updated one, so I had two accounts! She deleted the old one I had tried using and now I'm in and it's been a dream. My street is new so I'm not on the ward map but can see a lot that are. Plus, I actually put my husband and my photos on there too! I guess I'm not quite ready to call it quits, lol. And the fun part was looking up my family tree. I have relatives that are quite adept at geneaology (I was terrible) and I got to see lines that go way back. I'm Norwegian and Danish from my dad's side, ha! I will have to read further for more lines. The church is very organized and create great ways for us to know our histories, gotta say that!

1 hour ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Thank you, we do seem to be moving so quickly, in technology and other changes, that those older, and certainly the disabled are being left behind. 

Papa, I hope you get this thing all figured out soon. It's too bad we don't always have the connections to ward members like in the past. I always look back on such wonderful relationships I've had, such as visiting teaching companions and ladies I've visited. Seems like now people are just too busy. Luckily I have good hometeachers that are a couple that visit, where before we seldom had anyone visit. Except for years before we've had some hits and misses. To me that's why we have churches, for the community as well as worship. People need people. But nowadays, even my grandson couldn't stay away from Fort Nite on his phone during a family Christmas party on my husband's side. Too bad my daughter let him. But it may have caused a big commotion in front of everyone during the program. 

I hope we'll all figure out a way to connect more. And through service that is usually the way to do it as well. Don't give up, and I won't either. 

On 12/23/2018 at 7:04 PM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

There have been so many changes, many that effect (or is it affect) the entire Church, and in my case (on the local level). These changes have been in the Stake, and the it's Wards. I have lived in the same home, (my final home) for almost five years, and in five Wards. The Ward that was abolished the last recent change, has been reinstated. Sadly we have only four young men the entire Young Men's program, and only eight in the entire Young Women's program, and two are my granddaughters? The  Prmary has 23 currently, and 5 or are my grandchildren,  The Elder's Quorm President who had an out going member of the Bishopic, (knowing he was moving within weeks) put a (for lack of a better term) "gage order" on me.

I have so many health problems, I cannot be a ministering teacher, as I seldom drive, (we'll never really) and if I did I am unable to assist in any activities that require physical abilities. My former Elder's Quorum, did not assign me anyone, nor assigned anyone to me. In one meeting, (the first where all sit in a circle, and discuss lessons, and other issues) someone asked who his visiting, or ministering individual was. He was trying to tell how find out, but then went on to tell him, to whom he was assigned, and who was assigned,  to him) When I asked, and told him I did not have the Church App, on my phone. He told me, (before the entire Quorm) "Brother Lee, I do not have time to address your ignorance of the Church App, So he said, see the Ward Clerk, I did. The Ward clerk, laughed when he found out that I did not have the App on my phone. As he was trying to show me, he also said, "I have others things to do. 

So, when the Ward was reinstated, I told my wife, maybe I will be able to teach again, something I can do, despite my limits. Her reply was, "I doubt it, President XXXXX, is now in the new Bishopric".  What do you do, when what you have (or can) to give, is no longer wanted, or you are not allowed to do so? So, (again) what is to be done, when someone is no longer wanted? Also, all of my long time friends, are in another Ward, whom I miss so much. 

Need advice; please! 

I may have a unique perspective on this that I hope will lift your spirits. I am sorry for your frustration and feel I can relate despite the fact that I am a technically savvy individual.

As a tech-savvy person, I was surprised when I was asked for my ministering report without ever having received an assignment. A much older gentleman - a high priest - offered to show me how to check my ministry assignment on my app. I have the app installed, I just had missed the meeting apparently where this assignment was pointed out.

My first reaction to this was, "wow this is worse than the problems we had with home teaching!?" Home teaching became an impersonal numbers game - a check list. President Nelson is so clearly leading the church away from this dispassionate / detached / impersonal box checking structure towards a structure that is led and guided by the Spirit. Though I suspected that ministering would just become the new name for home teaching, I was quite taken aback by how impersonal my first experience at ministering accountability had become (I have left out some details as I don't want to besmirch the otherwise superb character of the gentleman high priest.)

On another seemingly tangential topic, one of the counselors in my bishopric stopped by my house recently to extend a calling to my wife. This story is third hand - perhaps someone is aware of the source - but IIRC (if I recall correctly,) President Packer's wife was issued a calling in front of President Packer that she turned down. The member of the Bishopric who extended the calling did not know how to react and looked to President Packer for help and was met with a shrug. The wife then asked the Bishop if he had truly prayed and received a witness by the Spirit that she should be in said calling to which the member of the Bishopric replied, "No." She suggested he do so, he did, and then received no such witness. 

That's sort of how I felt when I was asked for my ministering report without knowing I was even assigned to be someone's minister. The spirit had been completely removed from the process whereas President Nelson is clearly attempting to lead us to making the Spirit central to our "processes."  

I guess the point I'm leading up to is we are all fallible people. I can't imagine mocking an older person for not knowing / using the app, but I've sort of been in the reverse role where an older person was surprised that I - a tech-savvy younger person - didn't know about the ministering aspect of the app. 

I can tell you this - the gospel is true and each and every Priesthood holder is truly needed to exercise their Priesthood in righteousness. Your ward may not show appreciation well - perhaps not even your family. But you are appreciated. Having lost my father this month, I can tell you I've been wracking my brain, "Did I show my father enough love and appreciation?" I know I showed him love and appreciation, but did I truly make him feel that way? Perhaps yes. Perhaps no. I'll tell you that when I am blessed to hug my father again, he will truly know just how deeply I love and appreciate him and his stewardship as a righteous bearer of the Holy Priesthood. Your family needs you. Your ward needs you. Your neighbors need you, and you don't have to wait for a ministering assignment to be led by the Spirit to bless others with the Savior's love and power.

Edited by Alaris
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 4:28 PM, mnn727 said:

Don't feel bad about the app. I don't have it either, nor will I ever have it - I don't do apps. 

They can still print the lists on the computer. I have mine.

Your Ward sound like the one that almost made me go  inactive 15 years ago. Instead we moved, we were going from an apartment to a house and we only had one demand - It could not be within that Ward's boundaries.

The cool thing is WE can print the lists on our computer. Individuals never were able to do it before. Not only that you can print it with some choice of how it is done - smaller or larger print etc. And you can print it as often as you like.

On 12/23/2018 at 6:04 PM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

When I asked, and told him I did not have the Church App, on my phone. He told me, (before the entire Quorm) "Brother Lee, I do not have time to address your ignorance of the Church App, So he said, see the Ward Clerk, I did. The Ward clerk, laughed when he found out that I did not have the App on my phone. As he was trying to show me, he also said, "I have others things to do. 

I suggest you connect with some of the teens in your ward and let them teach you about the technology!  They have the skills and the time to help. I have a teen who frequently helps adult ward members and older family members with tech-related questions.  

Edited by Ginger Snaps

On 12/23/2018 at 7:04 PM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

There have been so many changes, many that effect (or is it affect) the entire Church, and in my case (on the local level). These changes have been in the Stake, and the it's Wards. I have lived in the same home, (my final home) for almost five years, and in five Wards. The Ward that was abolished the last recent change, has been reinstated. Sadly we have only four young men the entire Young Men's program, and only eight in the entire Young Women's program, and two are my granddaughters? The  Prmary has 23 currently, and 5 or are my grandchildren,  The Elder's Quorm President who had an out going member of the Bishopic, (knowing he was moving within weeks) put a (for lack of a better term) "gage order" on me.

I have so many health problems, I cannot be a ministering teacher, as I seldom drive, (we'll never really) and if I did I am unable to assist in any activities that require physical abilities. My former Elder's Quorum, did not assign me anyone, nor assigned anyone to me. In one meeting, (the first where all sit in a circle, and discuss lessons, and other issues) someone asked who his visiting, or ministering individual was. He was trying to tell how find out, but then went on to tell him, to whom he was assigned, and who was assigned,  to him) When I asked, and told him I did not have the Church App, on my phone. He told me, (before the entire Quorm) "Brother Lee, I do not have time to address your ignorance of the Church App, So he said, see the Ward Clerk, I did. The Ward clerk, laughed when he found out that I did not have the App on my phone. As he was trying to show me, he also said, "I have others things to do. 

So, when the Ward was reinstated, I told my wife, maybe I will be able to teach again, something I can do, despite my limits. Her reply was, "I doubt it, President XXXXX, is now in the new Bishopric".  What do you do, when what you have (or can) to give, is no longer wanted, or you are not allowed to do so? So, (again) what is to be done, when someone is no longer wanted? Also, all of my long time friends, are in another Ward, whom I miss so much. 

Need advice; please! 

This is what I have found with myself. It may be different than you.

When I start worrying about being needed or recognized or not asked for help, or really any time it becomes about me, I try to take a step back and see what I am missing.

Sometimes it is scripture study. Sometimes prayers. Sometimes it is emphasizing areas of my life that are only good or better and not the best. Always it shows me when I am out of alignment.

Last week I found myself in a pretty good pity party. I was also tired and ornery and not getting everything done. So I pulled away from everything and really tried to listen to the Lord about what he wanted for me. 

I discovered a few priorities out of whack so I set about putting them in order.

Interestingly I started to see some real cracks in others as well. This week I have spent some time counseling with people about keeping priorities in place and trusting Heavenly Father that things will work out despite them choosing some priorities over others.

And tonight I saw a beautiful thing. Several of these people put their priorities in order and others stepped in to take the places left empty.

So I would go to the Lord and ask what He would have you do. Don't put conditions on him by saying it must be part of the church or other such things. Be still. Listen to him. Don't fight him on what he has you do. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rain said:

This is what I have found with myself. It may be different than you.

When I start worrying about being needed or recognized or not asked for help, or really any time it becomes about me, I try to take a step back and see what I am missing.

Sometimes it is scripture study. Sometimes prayers. Sometimes it is emphasizing areas of my life that are only good or better and not the best. Always it shows me when I am out of alignment.

Last week I found myself in a pretty good pity party. I was also tired and ornery and not getting everything done. So I pulled away from everything and really tried to listen to the Lord about what he wanted for me. 

I discovered a few priorities out of whack so I set about putting them in order.

Interestingly I started to see some real cracks in others as well. This week I have spent some time counseling with people about keeping priorities in place and trusting Heavenly Father that things will work out despite them choosing some priorities over others.

And tonight I saw a beautiful thing. Several of these people put their priorities in order and others stepped in to take the places left empty.

So I would go to the Lord and ask what He would have you do. Don't put conditions on him by saying it must be part of the church or other such things. Be still. Listen to him. Don't fight him on what he has you do. 

I am not seeking "recognition", just wondering where I fit now. Nor am I having a "pity party". I am beginning to wonder about my communication skills, and my inability to be understood in print, or when I speak. 

2 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I am not seeking "recognition", just wondering where I fit now. Nor am I having a "pity party". I am beginning to wonder about my communication skills, and my inability to be understood in print, or when I speak. 

Rain was speaking about herself and what helps her when she is down.  Sometimes hearing how other people handle their struggles can help us with our own.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, bluebell said:

Rain was speaking about herself and what helps her when she is down.  Sometimes hearing how other people handle their struggles can help us with our own.

Thank you for explaining, I seem to be lacking in seeing things such as this as well. It does not matter much, I am a believer, and will still go to Church. At my Ward or another (or the other) in my building. If I have no calling, or if nothing is asked of me, it should not matter where I go, or I hope it does not. Maybe my desire to be needed or wanted, is just selfish, or my vanity. Once we go, in two weeks to the two hour block, I doubt any without callings will be missed. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Thank you for explaining, I seem to be lacking in seeing things such as this as well. It does not matter much, I am a believer, and will still go to Church. At my Ward or another (or the other) in my building. If I have no calling, or if nothing is asked of me, it should not matter where I go, or I hope it does not. Maybe my desire to be needed or wanted, is just selfish, or my vanity. Once we go, in two weeks to the two hour block, I doubt any without callings will be missed. 

It may just inch out more people and leave them without callings, unless the church creates more callings which may or may not be a bad thing. 

On December 28, 2018 at 12:45 AM, Rain said:The cool thing is WE can print the lists on our computer. Individuals never were able to do it before. Not only that you can print it with some choice of how it is done - smaller or larger print etc. And you can print it as often as you like.

Yes, that is good for those who are from the ancient days, this way we can have paper in our hands. Being an old man, I don't like using a smart phones as scripture. I like the feel of the real scriptures in my hands, the sound of pages being flipped through when others, or myself are asked to read. Thus is my feeling like a dinosaur, for not using a cell phone to read scripture. The day I asked on the first Sunday, my Elders Quorum President, how to find out who I was assigned to, and who was assigned to me. He had already told one brother, when I asked him to tell me, he told me to use the "Church app on my phone". When I announced I did not have the app on my phone, nor knew how to install it, I was laughed at by many, and then my EQP, told me to see the Ward Clerk, when he said, "I don't have time to teach you how to use the Internet". The Ward Clerk, who was not in the meeting, also laughed, when I told him I did not have the Church app on my phone, my wife overheard. I don't think I should post what she told him. Now that EQP is in my Bishopric, so I dare not ask again. My son put it on my phone, but says he has never used it, he is inactive, sadly. 

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

It may just inch out more people and leave them without callings, unless the church creates more callings which may or may not be a bad thing. 

For awhile I didn't have a calling.  At first I was thinking as well that I wasn't needed. Then the Spirit basically told me, "what are you thinking? If you are not given a calling that means you get to choose one.  Go find one!" I chose to go visit people - whoever felt right to go visit. I loved it.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rain said:

For awhile I didn't have a calling.  At first I was thinking as well that I wasn't needed. Then the Spirit basically told me, "what are you thinking? If you are not given a calling that means you get to choose one.  Go find one!" I chose to go visit people - whoever felt right to go visit. I loved it.  

I need to try much harder at saying daily prayers and hopefully get some guidance on where best to serve.

I need to try much harder at saying daily prayers and hopefully get some guidance on where best to serve.

Some of it is just getting out there. You tell the Lord you are willing and then take a step in that direction. Sometimes I will offer to do something and what I have to give isn't needed and that's ok. It just helps me know that a different thing is for me. 

So with your ministering sisters, if your partner isn't responding then you just do it. If there is a widow in your ward then you just ask to come visit her. Sometimes those conversations lead you to other people. 

Another thing to do is look at your interests and talents. Do you prefer to work with children? Look at organizations that help them. You and I have common things with our brothers. Perhaps asking what you can do to help at drug treatment places will help you find where you should be - or perhaps, like for me, that is a little too close to home.

As I look over my life I find that I just stuck my toes in the water a little bit when I heard of needs or there might be needs. Most of those never stuck, but I did learn things that helped me elsewhere, besides the fact that they were good things to do.

So while I wholeheartedly agree with praying more, the key thing is to just get out and do something.

• Like 1