Sign in to follow this  
Okrahomer

Rosalynde Welch: Alcohol, Addiction, and Abstinence

Thanks for the excellent article.  From my experience, the Church has done a wonderful job teaching It's members the importance of strictness in the plain road.  One of the side effects of obedience can, unfortunately, be a pride that manifests itself in judging others who aren't as apparently faithful as we are.  Hence, the difficulty creating a safe, non shaming environment for those who struggle with various dependencies or compulsions.

When it happens close to home, then we learn their difficulty and the importance of not judging, but showing sincere love.

We don't want to enable them, so it is helpful to get tools we need through the Church's Family Addiction Recovery support group.  That experience, gaining new knowledge of the healing power of the Atonement can also heal us and help make us more understanding and welcoming. 

Edited by Meerkat
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Meerkat said:

Thanks for the excellent article.  From my experience, the Church has done a wonderful job teaching It's members the importance of strictness in the plain road.  One of the side effects of obedience can, unfortunately, be a pride that manifests itself in judging others who aren't as apparently faithful as we are.  Hence, the difficulty creating a safe, non shaming environment for those who struggle with various dependencies or compulsions.

When it happens close to home, then we learn their difficulty and the importance of not judging, but showing sincere love.

We don't want to enable them, so it is helpful to get tools we need through the Church's Family Addiction Recovery support group.  That experience, gaining new knowledge of the healing power of the Atonement can also heal us and help make us more understanding and welcoming. 

That was what I ran into, entitled people from the burbs who thought they were better than me, who had the attitude that they had their wealth because they were the elect.  Always liked the idea of putting a Mosque next to the schools their kids went to, that and having cultural festivals during the month of Ramadan, they're false piety and "tolorance" would fly right out the window lol.

Speaking of care for people, here's one for you, look up the Islamic center in Davenport, the place is huge.  They also have muslim only housing.  That scares the daylights out of my Christian friends, yet whenever I ask why the Christians don't do it it's the same old song and dance, screw the poor.  Big suprise Islam is growing so fast here, who would have thought taking care of your own would help with loyalty to a religion. 
Another one, when Hurricane Harvey hit, it was a Mosque that was one of the first to open their doors to the poor, meanwhile good old Olsteen had to be shamed via facebook before he did anything.

Edited by poptart
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, poptart said:

when Hurricane Harvey hit, it was a Mosque that was one of the first to open their doors to the poor, meanwhile good old Olsteen had to be shamed via facebook before he did anything.

I read the same account.  I know Moslems that I respect and I know people who enjoy Joel Olsteen's ministry.  I've enjoyed some of his sermons, but don't know much more than that.  We all make mistakes regardless of our good intentions.  Hopefully that was a learning experience for him.  I know I've had my learning experiences, not as public as Joel Osteen.  That's my take on it.  Don't you think most of us try to do what seems right until we figure out there is a better way?

Speaking of Christians and Hurricane Harvey, there was a lot of unsung volunteer work that went on.  Our son in law took their three children to Houston on the weekends.  Our church buildings were set up as command centers to direct volunteers coming from surrounding states.  

"Matt Brand, Houston Astros senior vice president over corporate partnerships, praised Latter-day Saints for their service. “What the Church did to come in and help the community was incredible … because if they hadn’t, I can tell you thousands of people would have been put back for months and months, not only financially, but with a place to live. We had four and a half feet of water in our house, and I know what that feels like. I can’t tell you the impact that 16,000 people coming in every weekend had for this city.”

There were many other Christian denominations (and Moslems, as you point out,) and others who were grateful to sacrifice their time and resources to help the suffering people.

• Like 2

Meerkat, your first post on the thread deserves more than the single rep point I was able to give it.  I don't think that anyone who doesn't obey the Word of Wisdom is an irresolute drunkard or a hopeless addict, but I do know that no one who does obey it is.  I don't think that anyone who doesn't obey the Law of Chastity is a crazed sex fiend, but I do know that no one who does obey it is.  (In any event, the vast majority of those who do not obey the Word of Wisdom, the Law of Chastity, or any other principle of the Restored Gospel are not under covenant to obey these things, as I am, so the Lord looks on their disobedience differently than He looks on mine.)

Bottom line?  When it comes to addiction, or even sin in general, I like something that then-President-now-Elder Uchtdorf once said: "Don't judge me simply because I sin differently than you do." ;)  There, but for the grace of God, could go you, or I, or anyone.  The only real difference between someone who's addicted and someone who's not is the choice of coping mechanism.  Easier said than done, I know, but we simply need to help the addict find better coping mechanisms.  And even if our lives are going swimmingly and we have no major problems to speak of (How would it be? ;)) we're apt to feel a certain amount of discontent here in mortality simply because we're out of our element: We're not essentially mortal beings who've been sent here to have occasional spiritual experiences; we're essentially spiritual beings who've been sent here to have a mortal experience.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 9:40 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

I don't think that anyone who doesn't obey the Law of Chastity is a crazed sex fiend, but I do know that no one who does obey it is. 

Hi, allow me to introduce myself. Oh, and you left out “depraved”.

Sign in to follow this