Sign in to follow this  
provoman

Sister missionaries in dress slacks...what what what.

Looks like any general restrictions  besides church weAr are lifted. Good news. 

• Like 1

Interesting!  I think I still would have chosen to wear a skirt or dress. I don’t find dress slacks very comfortable or all that attractive unless you’re at an office. 

Edited by bluebell
  • Like 1

Is this a new change? I thought slacks had been allowed for a little while now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amulek said:

Nope, they hadn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, webbles said:

Dress slacks were allowed in certain areas of the world where they could protect you better against certain diseases.  Here's an archived version of the page back in February 2018 that mentions wearing dress slacks: https://web.archive.org/web/20180213183108/https://missionary.lds.org/clothing/sister/guidelines?lang=eng

Maybe that's what I was thinking. 

To be honest, I've never paid that much attention to sister missionary dress guidelines. All of my sisters served missions on Temple Square, and they had a separate set of guidelines specific to their mission. 

Considering Brigham Young’s desire to see LDS women stop wearing skirts and dresses, I suspect he will be rejoicing at this move  ... and quite possibly giving Eliza R. Snow an ‘I told you so’. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Walden said:

Ladies of the LDS church, welcome to the mid-20th century!

Maybe in a few more decades you will be permitted to join the 21st century!

What would be dressing in the 21st century look like?   More skin showing? 

• Like 4

This is just going to about kill the panty hose industry...

I am happy for them...a choice..whatever.  It gives more issue to weatherizing and comfort...and heels!  Should have been done a long time ago..not that dresses or skirts are bad...but to have a choice!! Slacks will  look nice with blazers and stuff.

16 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

This is just going to about kill the panty hose industry...

I am happy for them...a choice..whatever.  It gives more issue to weatherizing and comfort...and heels!  Should have been done a long time ago..not that dresses or skirts are bad...but to have a choice!! Slacks will  look nice with blazers and stuff.

I don't think sister missionaries have ever had to wear heels. But yes, choice is always nice, especially for sisters who have to ride bikes!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluebell said:

What would be dressing in the 21st century look like?   More skin showing? 

Wouldn't you have to ask a priesthood holder for that answer? They are, after all, the ones making the decisions on what women missionaries can and cannot wear.

2 hours ago, Amulek said:

You are right, this is not new.  Sisters have been able to wear pants for quite a while now after the whole Zika scare.  I just don't understand why they were so concerned about Zika when most of these areas have much more dangerous mosquito borne illnesses like Dengue, Chickengunya, and malaria, etc.  

This might have been an area specific thing for missionaries in risk areas however, now it sounds like it is church wide. 

5 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Considering Brigham Young’s desire to see LDS women stop wearing skirts and dresses, I suspect he will be rejoicing at this move  ... and quite possibly giving Eliza R. Snow an ‘I told you so’. 

Something like this: "The Deseret Costume" for women 

Deseret costume.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, katherine the great said:

Something like this: "The Deseret Costume" for women 

Deseret costume.jpeg

I hadn’t seen that before! But I have seen the page in Brigham’s journal where he attempted to sketch ‘pretty pants’ after being told by Eliza (then Relief Society president) that women wouldn’t give up skirts because they wanted to look ‘feminine’ and fashionable. Was this an attempt at a compromise?

11 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I hadn’t seen that before! But I have seen the page in Brigham’s journal where he attempted to sketch ‘pretty pants’ after being told by Eliza (then Relief Society president) that women wouldn’t give up skirts because they wanted to look ‘feminine’ and fashionable. Was this an attempt at a compromise?

Idk but Brigham Young wasn’t much of a compromiser. And these don’t look feminine at all.  I’m guessing this is just what an artist envisioned he was thinking about.  Something like this would be great in the winter but absolutely horrific in the summer. It’s basically double the clothing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FunOnlineMan said:

When will elders be able to wear skirts?

I would love to see in my little neighborhood that very thing...☺️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FunOnlineMan said:

When will elders be able to wear skirts?

Whenever they're called to serve in Samoa (link).

Though if you plan on telling a big Samoan guy that his lava lava is a skirt, you might want to be friends first. ;) 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Amulek said:

Whenever they're called to serve in Samoa (link).

Though if you plan on telling a big Samoan guy that his lava lava is a skirt, you might want to be friends first. ;) 

I’m Scotch/Irish. I know the difference between a skirt and undivided pants.

• Like 1