Seriously No Politics ×

Sister missionaries in dress slacks...what what what.

I found this paragraph interesting:

You may choose to wear dress slacks during regular missionary activities, including during normal training activities at missionary training centers. However, you should wear dresses or skirts when attending the temple and during Sunday worship services, leadership and zone conferences, baptismal services, and missionary training center devotionals. When attending Sunday worship services, leadership and zone conferences, and baptismal services in the mission field, you may wear dress slacks to the meeting location and change into dresses or skirts before the meeting begins.

It looks like some cultural relics are hard to ditch. 

Even zone conferences?  I simply don't understand why pants are not okay for church etc.  Are they somehow less respectful or something?  What is the possible justification for this request -  because I find them to be much more modest than many skirts that I see at church.

18 hours ago, bluebell said:

What would be dressing in the 21st century look like?   More skin showing? 

Not necessarily, but maybe the church might allow you to wear two earrings on your ear instead of mandating just one earring per ear....baby steps

Edited by Walden
spelling
1 hour ago, Walden said:

Not necessarily, but maybe the church might allow you to wear two earrings on your ear instead of mandating just one earring per ear....baby steps

If it makes you feel better I got my cartilage pierced while I was on my mission and no one ever said anything. :D 

3 hours ago, pogi said:

I found this paragraph interesting:

It looks like some cultural relics are hard to ditch. 

Even zone conferences?  I simply don't understand why pants are not okay for church etc.  Are they somehow less respectful or something?  What is the possible justification for this request -  because I find them to be much more modest than many skirts that I see at church.

one thing too is how would you enforce it? can you imagine some elder or brother in the stake going up to a sister missionary and saying, "take your pants off!!!" 😲😲😲

5 hours ago, pogi said:

I simply don't understand why pants are not okay for church etc.

Pants are fine for church. We have three sisters in our ward who wear them each Sunday, and where I served my mission, probably one-quarter of all women wore them in the wintertime (when it was often around -30C). At the same time, cultural expectations are a big deal everywhere, and it's important that our missionaries don't raise eyebrows, even at church -- and many LDS women still don't find pants 'dressy' enough for worship. When I was serving, our mission president told us that he'd been trained to guide us to fit in with what was considered the local 'professional look'. Consequently, we didn't dress quite like what's even now on the Church's website: for example, I had a dark green three-piece wool suit with a button fly and a five-button jacket.

It's a tough principle to learn, but Paul's teaching regarding eating meat sacrificed to idols is still valid: God doesn't care, but if it causes others to stumble, then don't do it.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
22 hours ago, bluebell said:

What would be dressing in the 21st century look like?

I live in a fully developed secular nation, and I work in our local parliament, where, with one exception (and everyone knows she got elected because she's slept with half the men in our most corrupt but very powerful trade union), the female members all dress exactly like our sister missionaries. Go figure. :unknw:

3 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I live in a fully developed secular nation, and I work in our local parliament, where, with one exception (and everyone knows she got elected because she's slept with half the men in our most corrupt but very powerful trade union), the female members all dress exactly like our sister missionaries. Go figure. :unknw:

Everyone knows that, huh. 

18 minutes ago, Rivers said:

Before you know it, the sisters and the elders will be completely indistinguishable. 

Satan's plan....😈

4 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Nothing like participating in a little salacious gossip to really prove your righteousness to everyone.  Way to go.  🙄

1 hour ago, ttribe said:

Nothing like participating in a little salacious gossip to really prove your righteousness to everyone.

Nothing like making numerous false assumptions about another poster to try to establish your moral superiority? Way to go. 🙄

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
4 hours ago, juliann said:

My BIL, on a humanitarian mission to Fiji, regularly wore a "skirt." Maybe you can start your own thread on that because it has zip to do with this one.

My BIL, on a mission to Brazil, regularly learned to take a “joke.”

Thank you for the advice on starting my own thread. I will take that into serious consideration.

21 hours ago, FunOnlineMan said:

When will elders be able to wear skirts?

Kilts!  We want kilts!  What is the Church's tartan?  We can keep our sticks in the sporran.

1000.jpg

Edited by Stargazer
On 12/20/2018 at 6:02 PM, bluebell said:

Interesting!  I think I still would have chosen to wear a skirt or dress. I don’t find dress slacks very comfortable or all that attractive unless you’re at an office. 

The slacks shown in the example photo of approved styles is - well awkward?

Edited by blueglass
23 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

18 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Nothing like making numerous false assumptions about another poster to try to establish your moral superiority? Way to go. 🙄

My mistake!  That wasn't you who posted the highlighted statement above?  You should report the board glitch to the board admins!  You wouldn't want anymore gossipy statements misattributed to you.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:12 PM, Duncan said:

one thing too is how would you enforce it? can you imagine some elder or brother in the stake going up to a sister missionary and saying, "take your pants off!!!" 😲😲😲

Sadly, I really can imagine something similar.