The Nehor

New Announcement on Youth and Primary Progression

Just now, JAHS said:

One of those FAQ
"Must the transition date for age-group progression always be January?
No. In areas of the world where January is not a natural transition date, areas may implement these changes based on the local transition date now followed"

So the whole world will not be doing this, but in the US January is also not a natural transition date, right? 

It is a natural transition date. It is the new year. It is when we normally shift Sunday School and Primary classes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tulip said:

A kid born in December will be ordained at 11,13, and 15.    A kid born in January will be ordained at 12,14 and 16.   The program worked perfectly by birthday.   This change just reeks of desperation.   

I completely disagree. I think it is a common sense change that will simplify things with the new Sunday Schedule. The youth will love it. My lone Mia Maid will love that that the younger group moves up in January. She will also be happy to move up to Laurels two months early. It’s how it’s done in primary and now the kids get to move up with their whole class at once.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

It is a natural transition date. It is the new year. It is when we normally shift Sunday School and Primary classes.

Right. I guess I was thinking of the young men and young women progression.

Why not baptize children at the beginning of the year they turn 8 (not advocating, just asking)?

• Like 3

good point.   Baptize everyone at 7 years old because I am sure they are ready!

Please explain how one boy will be ordained after just turning 11 and another will be ordained when just about turning 12.    A one year difference in age.   A kid in 5th grade is now a deacon.

31 minutes ago, tulip said:

A kid born in December will be ordained at 11,13, and 15.    A kid born in January will be ordained at 12,14 and 16.   The program worked perfectly by birthday.   This change just reeks of desperation.   

🙄

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

I love the changes! But it’s back to drawing board on teacher assignments in Primary. I suddenly have 2 extra teachers. What about scouts? Do these boys move up from 11 year old scouts? That leaves an awkward span between webelos and scouts. Thankfully, whatever they do there will only last one year. 

Not sure if anyone else has put this up yet-

"Until a new initiative for children and youth launches in 2020, progression in Cub Scouting and 11-year-old Scouts remains much the same. Boys continue to join Cub Scouts and 11-year-old Scouts and to progress between dens on their birthdays. However, when they move from Primary to Aaronic Priesthood quorums, they leave 11-year-old Scouting and participate in Scouting with the deacons quorum."

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JAHS said:

So the whole world will not be doing this, but in the US January is also not a natural transition date, right? 

Yeah, summer or fall would make more sense

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tulip said:

Please explain how one boy will be ordained after just turning 11 and another will be ordained when just about turning 12.    A one year difference in age.   A kid in 5th grade is now a deacon.

There's nothing to explain. The ages when ordinations take place has never been doctrinal but rather a matter of inspired policy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

I love the changes! But it’s back to drawing board on teacher assignments in Primary. I suddenly have 2 extra teachers. What about scouts? Do these boys move up from 11 year old scouts? That leaves an awkward span between webelos and scouts. Thankfully, whatever they do there will only last one year. 

Extra teachers for primary is a good problem to have. You can send them to our ward of you don't know what to do with them. 

16 minutes ago, tulip said:

What is to explain? You just do it.

18 minutes ago, tulip said:

Can’t, age is spelled out in revelation.

Also:

hF9A97665

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MorningStar said:

I just went to pick up my daughter and another girl from activity days the other night and the other girl was seriously crying and complained, "I'm always first to be picked up and it's not fair!" She was also crying because of the white elephant exchange. She didn't get what she wanted and I was thinking, "Oh man. She'll be in YW in less than a year. She's not ready." Well now she will be in it next month! 😮 

Oh how fun for her YW's president!  :lol:

• Like 2

I think this is a great move for 11 year olds.  I have always felt bad for the 11 year olds with birthdays in the later part of the year because they remain in primary while their friends with birthdays earlier in the year move on.  It seems that most 11 year olds are no longer excited about primary singing time.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tulip said:

Desperation at what exactly?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tulip said:

Desperation for what reason? 

51 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Why not baptize children at the beginning of the year they turn 8 (not advocating, just asking)?

The Lord has a specific command in the scriptures on that. Though I suppose he can revoke that command and make a new one if He choses.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tulip said:

Not a point, just a question. I said I wasn’t advocating, just asking.  Your sarcastically hostile rejoinder doesn’t answer the question. 

Let me guess: using TULIP as a moniker for someone posting on a “Mormon Dialogue” message board is a subtle indication of a conservative Protestant with antipathy toward “Mormonism.”

59 minutes ago, tulip said:

Some have birthdays in dec. some in jan

• Like 1

Seems like a good move to me. I know my last year of primary was disliked by me. I was tired of being treated like a child by that time. I doubt I was alone in this

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Not a point, just a question. I said I wasn’t advocating, just asking.  Your sarcastically hostile rejoinder doesn’t answer the question. 

Let me guess: using TULIP as a moniker for someone posting on a “Mormon Dialogue” message board is a subtle indication of a conservative Protestant with antipathy toward “Mormonism.”

I wouldn’t worry too much about him. The fact that he can’t articulate a reason for any of his objections should say a lot about where he’s coming from.

8 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I thought of that. I suppose the question arises as to how explicitly we must take the instruction about the age. 

Point of information: My mom was baptized in 1916 when she was still 7. At that time, in the rural area where she lived, it was the practice to baptize children turning 8 in a given year during the warmer months, whether or not they had had their birthday yet, probably because they needed to do it before the irrigation canals froze over. When the question came up years later as to the validity of the baptism, it was determined at Church headquarters that it was fine. 

I’d have to take a closer look at the scripture in question.

the Lord makes the rules but He tends to do what He wants when he wants sometimes.

john the Baptist was ordained a child