Seriously No Politics ×

Instant Pot/pressure cooker thread

Rain

Starting this before I forget. One of the discussions had some talk about using the Instant Pot. I love it as well so thought this would be good to have.

What are your favorite things to do with your pressure cooker?

One of my favorite things is greek style yogurt. It is so easy and we like it better than store bought. I make it plain and then we can do both sweet and savory things with it. I especially love it because I can do it with no added or very little added sweeteners.

I adapted Pioneer Woman's white chicken chili for the Instant Pot. So good and I love that I don't have to babysit it! 

There's a really fast sort of meatball stroganoff recipe. It gets stuck to the bottom a bit, but I just clean it with Bar Keepers Friend afterwards. Beef broth, cream of mushroom, milk, and water go on the bottom, then egg noodles, then frozen Swedish meatballs on top. That's it. Set it for 12 minutes, release the valve the last 2 minutes, then mix in sour cream when it's done. I should just have the ingredients on hand all the time for busy nights. 

On Thanksgiving I cooked the potatoes in it! So handy! That was my first time doing so. It was nice not to have to check on them while I was dealing with other things. 

I haven't made yogurt yet, but I should because I just discovered my youngest likes plain yogurt. What's your recipe? 

I'm mad I bought a different pressure cooker a while back, especially since it doesn't do the yogurt thing. I wanted to give my daughters an instant pot for Christmas last year but they didn't want one. I wish I knew how to talk them into it. But maybe it intimidates them a little, like it did me at first but I got a cheap one through a deal at RC Willey, and it is so nice to be able to cook an entire chicken in under an hour, frozen no less! Love this thread, need good recipes!

ETA: Just saw this yummy looking recipe: shrimp dip    http://cookingwithcrockpots.com/recipe/crock-pot-spicy-shrimp-dip/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_smartloop&utm_content=smartloop&utm_term=15312610

Edited by Tacenda

On my mission, we made six liters of yogurt each week. Heat 3 liters (med heat) in a large pot on the top of the stove until just boiling. Remove from heat, add the other 3 liters of room temperature milk; then add six plain yogurt cups - the small ones that you normally eat from. Whisk well to incorporate all the ingredients. At this point, you can also add sugar if you wish - we always did.  Then wrap it up in a large blanket and put it in a cool, dark place overnight. In the morning you will have six fresh liters of yogurt ready for the refrigerator. 

I assume that you can cut this down to two liters of yogurt or whatever amount you want. The easiest thing to do in the world. 

We often ate it for lunch over fresh, cut-up apples, pears, or any other fruit we had on hand. 

Edited by Storm Rider

If it is an electric pressure cooker, they can probably do the yogurt even if no yogurt button.

Storm Rider's way can be adapted to heated and then turned off ovens, freezer chests filled with newspaper, or anything else with good insulation.

Edited by Calm
On 12/12/2018 at 8:00 PM, Tacenda said:

I'm mad I bought a different pressure cooker a while back, especially since it doesn't do the yogurt thing. I wanted to give my daughters an instant pot for Christmas last year but they didn't want one. I wish I knew how to talk them into it. But maybe it intimidates them a little, like it did me at first but I got a cheap one through a deal at RC Willey, and it is so nice to be able to cook an entire chicken in under an hour, frozen no less! Love this thread, need good recipes!

ETA: Just saw this yummy looking recipe: shrimp dip    http://cookingwithcrockpots.com/recipe/crock-pot-spicy-shrimp-dip/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_smartloop&utm_content=smartloop&utm_term=15312610

I'm not bug on shrimp, but my husband likes it and likes spicy things so I might try this for him.  Thanks!

On 12/12/2018 at 8:17 PM, Calm said:

If it is an electric pressure cooker, they can probably do the yogurt even if no yogurt button.

Storm Rider's way can be adapted to heated and then turned off ovens, freezer chests filled with newspaper, or anything else with good insulation.

I used to do this in quart jars wrapped in a blanket in my cooler chest. It did work well, but now that I have my instant pot I prefer it. 

On 12/18/2018 at 7:02 AM, juliann said:

Hard squash that can take 45 minutes in the oven does really well in it.  I cook stew and pork shoulder in it. The browning feature is awesome for meat, it is no longer necessary to do it in a separate pan like crock pots require.

Ohhh! Never thought is squash. Excellent idea.

My stove has been dead for a couple of weeks.  I've using that saute setting in place of doing it on the stove.  Love it. Especially love how easy it is to do everything in one pot.

Edited by Rain
9 hours ago, Rain said:

Ohhh! Never thought is squash. Excellent idea.

My drive has been dead for a couple of weeks.  I've used that salute setting in place of going it on the stove.  Love it. Especially love how easy it is to do everything in one pot.

Rain, I'm super lazy and shouldn't be spending so much time picking out the spelling errors in posts but me thinks you may be on a phone typing posts or an iPad because I highly doubt there is a "salute" setting, haha!! ;)

8 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Rain, I'm super lazy and shouldn't be spending so much time picking out the spelling errors in posts but me thinks you may be on a phone typing posts or an iPad because I highly doubt there is a "salute" setting, haha!! ;)

Lol. So sorry. I was so tired the last few days. I probably should have said no to posting like those who have been drinking should say no to driving.