Sign in to follow this  
rockpond

Hype for April 2019 Conference

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

I wonder if policies change in the spirit world?

I think God is the same yesterday....today....and for eternity.

It's men who write policies that need to be changed or corrected 😉

Edited by ALarson
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ALarson said:

Well...that's what speculation is.  Everyone giving their opinions and you have a right to speculate right along with everyone else.  The leaders have continually made statements regarding big changes coming....take your vitamins and so on.  It's human to react to those statements like the members have.

I personally believe that coffee and tea may at some point be removed from the Word of Wisdom, but it's no biggie for me if it's not.

I see no issue if the temple garment wearing policy is restored to how it was in the early days of the church.  Unless I'm wrong, they were not originally to be worn at all times.  

I'd love to see girls passing the sacrament!   

But, the one change I'd really love to see is the change to temple sealings/marriages.  I'd love for the sealing to be the sealing (religious) and there be a separate wedding ceremony (legal).  I know that's already done in some countries and I do believe it will eventually be like this for all.

I guess these are some of the things on your wish list.  That's fine, but I'm not interested in speculation with no evidence or wish lists; I come to these types of threads, hoping there might be something that actually has some information shared which might support it.  That's probably asking too much and I guess others like to speculate, so these threads are probably not for me--but I'm still sorry I wasted time keeping up with this thread, since it was 46 pages of 'fail'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alter idem said:

I guess these are some of the things on your wish list.  That's fine, but I'm not interested in speculation with no evidence or wish lists; 

But then, you are speculating too by giving your opinion on them.  You are also expressing your wishes regarding them (or predictions).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ALarson said:

I think God is the same yesterday....today....and for eternity.

It's men who write policies that need to be changed or corrected 😉

In some things God does not change, but in others we have evidence he can and will release us from requirements;  He explains that he does give commands which for varying reasons are then revoked.  It is not just 'men's policies' which end up having to be revoked.  See Doctrine and Covenants 58:26-33

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

29 But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.

30 Who am I that made man, saith the Lord, that will hold him guiltless that obeys not my commandments?

31 Who am I, saith the Lord, that have promised and have not fulfilled?

32 I command and men obey not; I revoke and they receive not the blessing.

33 Then they say in their hearts: This is not the work of the Lord, for his promises are not fulfilled. But wo unto such, for their reward lurketh beneath, and not from above.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ALarson said:

But then, you are speculating too by giving your opinion on them.  You are also expressing your wishes regarding them (or predictions).

Well then, if simply commenting (even sharing evidence to support or question) is viewed as 'speculation', I guess I'll not waste my time even commenting.  But personally, that's not how I perceived it.  If, however, that's how the majority perceive it, I can't fight the majority.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, SouthernMo said:

I don’t know... Can you imagine the pain, sacrifice and hardship those poor saints in Toole endured having to travel 45 minutes to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple?  Such a blessing to have one closer now.

In fairness, while I have no specific inside information, I think usage patterns are looked at fairly carefully in deciding where to build temples and which temples to renovate when.  While necessary travel distance is one factor in deciding where to build temples, I'm fairly certain that the renovation of the Salt Lake Temple will increase patronage at temples in the South Salt Lake Valley, perhaps sufficiently that having an option further west might not be such a bad idea.  As far as travel distance may be a factor,It takes about as long to get from downtown Sandy to downtown Salt Lake City as it does to get from Tooele to downtown Salt Lake City.

Edited by Kenngo1969

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, alter idem said:

In some things God does not change, but in others we have evidence he can ....

Which was written by man 😉

I believe God has remained the same.  His love is always the same and His teachings are always the same and constant.  It's man's interpretation (or woman's) that has changed and it's been men (or women) doing their best to speak for God.  History has shown us the errors in doing this (thus the changes), but even good men are fallible and have been mistaken when attempting to speak for God. I believe that it comes down to each one of us having a personal relationship with God, trying to live a life that keeps us in tune....and then listening and following our own promptings and inspiration. 

Edited by ALarson

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, alter idem said:

Well then, if simply commenting (even sharing evidence to support or question) is viewed as 'speculation', I guess I'll not waste my time even commenting.  But personally, that's not how I perceived it.  If, however, that's how the majority perceive it, I can't fight the majority.

You were speculating and expressing your wishes or beliefs just like those who have stated they hope or believe the things you mentioned would happen.  Not much difference other than you firmly believe they will not happen.

Edited by ALarson

Did anybody else have Trump on the brain listening to Rasband’s talk?

Posted (edited)

To me, most of the "wish list" could be summarized by "I wish we were more like the Methodists."

Edited by hearserve
ETA:. This is not meant as a slam to the Methodists.
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, alter idem said:

It's sad that this happens, but I'm not surprised that some were upset by Pres. Nelson's very clear call to repentance which he offered. 

The person who called my Bishop in tears is a very faithful member of the church.   It seems to have caused pain for active members of the church (maybe even more than those who have left the church).

8 minutes ago, ALarson said:

The person who called my Bishop in tears is a very faithful member of the church.   It seems to have caused pain for active members of the church (maybe even more than those who have left the church).

Did your bishop share what part of the address had caused the pain?

3 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Did your bishop share what part of the address had caused the pain?

They have children who have left the church.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ALarson said:

They have children who have left the church.

Was there a part of his talk that could be especially painful for parents in that position?  I can’t remember. 

1 hour ago, alter idem said:

If I am understanding you correctly, you are attempting to differentiate between things that people hope will change in the church based on their personal beliefs/opinions, and those things that are rumored to change based on 'this source who should know said this is going to be changed.'

If I've gotten that right, then I agree that there is a difference between those two categories.  One is speculation (a theory unsupported by any claim to evidence) and the other is a rumor (based on a report that still can't be proven but has a claim to evidence attached to it).

My friend and I were talking about this the other day, where there were so many people talking about 'rumored changes' on an lds mommy group that were not actually rumored changes at all, they were changes that people hoped would happen.  I don't think there's too much wrong with that (though I do think that negativity tends to sow more negativity so too much complaining about wished for changes can cause some harm) but it would be nice if people recognized the difference between the two things when they were talking.  

More precise language in speaking about wished for and/or rumored changes could cut down on those instances where someone's wished for change becomes someone else's "I heard they are going to change this at conference this time!!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALarson said:

Which was written by man 😉

I believe God has remained the same.  His love is always the same and His teachings are always the same and constant.  It's man's interpretation (or woman's) that has changed and it's been men (or women) doing their best to speak for God.  History has shown us the errors in doing this (thus the changes), but even good men are fallible and have been mistaken when attempting to speak for God. I believe that it comes down to each one of us having a personal relationship with God, trying to live a life that keeps us in tune....and then listening and following our own promptings and inspiration. 

If we compare the OT and the NT, can we really argue that His teachings have always been the same? Even within the NT we have examples of Christ's teachings changing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

If we compare the OT and the NT, can we really argue that His teachings have always been the same? Even within the NT we have examples of Christ's teachings changing.

But those were also recorded or written by man (after they interpreted them or recorded what they thought they'd heard).

I firmly believe that God is the same throughout eternity.  

Taking the doctrines at face value I think a lot of people can feel deep pain if they are faithful members.  

Remember Lehi and his wife felt excruciating pain at the behavior of their sons.  

I think that this church is exhilarating for families where every child remains faithful.  Those family portraits where everyone is smiling and happy and righteous must make the patriarchs and matriarchs so filled with joy. 

I don’t have that experience.  I have followed ALL the big rules , and from the outside looking in appear to be TBM.  However, I have secrets in my life. Not my own, but others, that have impacted my children.  Two of my five have set aside their faith and they have not made covenants with God. 

My bishop 5 years ago said at the pulpit, “If you have not brought every child to God you have failed as a parent.”  I am not paraphrasing/ those words stung.  Maybe according to The Gospel, technically he was right.  Maybe God failed with Lucifer.  Maybe Sariah failed. 

Here is all I know.  I make it safe for my children to have a relationship with me.  I encourage them to forge their own path.  I do not control their lives.  

And I believe that any God worthy of title God is not going to punish me after I have lived a life living all the big rules and as many of the little ones as I can.  He will grant me happiness in the eternities. 

To be honest, I’m not sure exaltation is really my thing. I’m not into sharing husbands. 

Im not worried.  Life is too short.  But I’ll lie if I don’t say, I felt a little envious yesterday of that family photo, and I felt a little envious of the prophet telling his dying daughter that she had succeeded because all her children had chosen high functioning spouses and had all been sealed.  ❤️ No one will say those things to me when I’m dying.  I feel I’m missing out on that.  Maybe I am worried after all? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ALarson said:

But those were also recorded or written by man (after they interpreted them or recorded what they thought they'd heard).

I firmly believe that God is the same throughout eternity.  

Why do you believe that?  

7 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Taking the doctrines at face value I think a lot of people can feel deep pain if they are faithful members.  

Remember Lehi and his wife felt excruciating pain at the behavior of their sons.  

I think that this church is exhilarating for families where every child remains faithful.  Those family portraits where everyone is smiling and happy and righteous must make the patriarchs and matriarchs so filled with joy. 

I don’t have that experience.  I have followed ALL the big rules , and from the outside looking in appear to be TBM.  However, I have secrets in my life. Not my own, but others, that have impacted my children.  Two of my five have set aside their faith and they have not made covenants with God. 

My bishop 5 years ago said at the pulpit, “If you have not brought every child to God you have failed as a parent.”  I am not paraphrasing/ those words stung.  Maybe according to The Gospel, technically he was right.  Maybe God failed with Lucifer.  Maybe Sariah failed. 

Here is all I know.  I make it safe for my children to have a relationship with me.  I encourage them to forge their own path.  I do not control their lives.  

And I believe that any God worthy of title God is not going to punish me after I have lived a life living all the big rules and as many of the little ones as I can.  He will grant me happiness in the eternities. 

To be honest, I’m not sure exaltation is really my thing. I’m not into sharing husbands. 

Im not worried.  Life is too short.  But I’ll lie if I don’t say, I felt a little envious yesterday of that family photo, and I felt a little envious of the prophet telling his dying daughter that she had succeeded because all her children had chosen high functioning spouses and had all been sealed.  ❤️ No one will say those things to me when I’m dying.  I feel I’m missing out on that.  Maybe I am worried after all? 

Yikes.  Let's hope that your bishop meant that in the 'you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink' sense.  It is our duty to bring our children to God, but we can't force them to believe in Him, having faith, repent, or make covenants with Him.

Like you said, God was a perfect parent and yet 1/3 of His children chose rebellion and sin anyway.  Agency. :) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Yikes.  Let's hope that your bishop meant that in the 'you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink' sense.  It is our duty to bring our children to God, but we can't force them to believe in Him, having faith, repent, or make covenants with Him.

Like you said, God was a perfect parent and yet 1/3 of His children chose rebellion and sin anyway.  Agency. :) 

Bishop was young and had very small kids.  Very driven guy.  I loved him but his message was harsh!  He cried with me in his office months later.  He changed his message to be much gentler. 

Still pains me, because the reality still exists.  The joy is much easier felt when everyone obeys, and that’s out of my control. Then again, I fell short in many areas as a parent. So who knows. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Why do you believe that?  

Because I believe all teaching and principles of the gospel are eternal.  I believe that it's humans who change and evolve in their beliefs and teachings.  Most all of what I've seen taught by our leaders that has been later changed by other leaders, are teachings that I believe came from man, not from God.

3 hours ago, alter idem said:

It's sad that this happens, but I'm not surprised that some were upset by Pres. Nelson's very clear call to repentance which he offered.  

It seems the greatest pain is not really felt by those that need to repent (I for example heard his words and am entirely unmoved). Exmormon reddit was full of posts yesterday about faithful spouses going to their bedroom to weep since exaltation is a family affair. What exactly are these members supposed to repent of exactly? 

• Like 1

surprises.jpg.b12ab3e3058413f63d34df8010256e34.jpg

• Like 3