Sign in to follow this  
rockpond

Hype for April 2019 Conference

“Uhhh, so?”

Hotbed of gossip in all things church related. :)

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I'd be surprised if April conference had any big new things in it.  Guess we'll see.

I think many of the changes will come from implementing the Come Follow Me home study curriculum.

• Like 1

I have heard a lot of rumors of more to come in the next two conferences and I have a confirmed story from several years back about a big revelation that would surpass the one in 1978.

Nehor’s List of possible changes:

- Women Will now hold the Priesthood, possibly the same one held now by men or possibly a distinct one that has not been around for some time.

- Doctrinal announcement about same-gender attraction. I know there have been a lot of prayers both from the leadership and the members for further knowledge on this subject.

- The beginning of the end for seminary. I suspect it is on the chopping block in the near future. It has a disproportionate impact on members from the ease of release time to the lower attendance early morning version to the much less effective home study program. I see it going away soon. Possibly phased out slowly with only release time continuing for a while to prevent a bunch of teachers from suddenly not having a paycheck.

- Temple in Missouri at a certain location.

- Wholesale revision of the church welfare program. I have been expecting this for a while now.

- Fundamental changes to or even the ending of the proselyting missionary program.

- Unveil our plans for world domination.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Calm said:

Iirc, they have opened the Singapore temple and maybe some others on Sunday so those domestic workers who only have Sundays free can attend, but I may be confusing that with how they do Sabbaths.   I will see if I remember to ask my brother who has lived in Singapore off and on for a number of years. 

I think you are referring to this:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865600716/Gathering-and-grafting-in-Hong-Kong.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkgoble said:

The rumors I've heard is that temples will open Sundays to let people do endowments in the afternoon and evening.

I know non-members looking at us from the outside find it strange that the temples, that are very important to our religion, are not open on Sundays. 

Our ward will meet at 1230 pm, so I am not sure about the open on sunday rumour, unless evenings?

It is possible that the shortened meeting times is so you all can put in seatbelts on the benches...😊

52 minutes ago, ttribe said:

Uhhh, so?

Well, nothing.  Just putting it out there that there is not much in the way of speculation happening in my neck of the woods, which is Provo.

Thanks,

-Smac

3 hours ago, rockpond said:

And so it begins... or continues...

We had our stake conference this weekend (Dec 8-9).  In the concluding session on Sunday, Elder Randall K. Bennett of the Seventy was speaking.  After referencing President Nelson's comments:  "If you think the Church has been fully restored, you're just seeing the beginning" and "Eat your vitamin pills. Get some rest. It's going to be exciting."  He said, jokingly:  There's a rumor that they are installing seat belts in the Conference Center in preparation for next April's conference.

I'm curious if others are hearing similar comments from general authorities in your areas.

Given the above (and assuming it isn't only happening in my area), I imagine we'll have lots of guessing and rumors about "big announcements" in the lead up to April General Conference.

Build anitipation and then whatever they say will be greeted with glee, even if it is pablum like much of what had been announced the past year or so.

• Like 1

My concern is that building hype like this just encourages people to spread their self generated "good ideas" like it was a rumor they heard, like "They are getting rid of October General Conference and replacing it with 12 super-area conferences that week."  It's like the twelve are trying to drive "engagement" like it is some mobile app metric they need to avert some curse from befalling the Church.  I should stop steadying the ark now before it becomes a formal calling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alter idem said:

Got confused because it was sister-in-law who lives in Singapore who was telling me about this a couple of years ago. Thanks for pointing it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I have heard a lot of rumors of more to come in the next two conferences and I have a confirmed story from several years back about a big revelation that would surpass the one in 1978.

- Women Will now hold the Priesthood, possibly the same one held now by men or possibly a distinct one that has not been around for some time.

Nope.  Add  alot of additional temple work to what has already been done. 

- Doctrinal announcement about same-gender attraction. I know there have been a lot of prayers both from the leadership and the members for further knowledge on this subject.

Nope -- see the Proclamation.

- The beginning of the end for seminary. I suspect it is on the chopping block in the near future. It has a disproportionate impact on members from the ease of release time to the lower attendance early morning version to the much less effective home study program. I see it going away soon. Possibly phased out slowly with only release time continuing for a while to prevent a bunch of teachers from suddenly not having a paycheck.

Unlikely, since they already have made some significant  changes in the program.

Hmmm.  

- Wholesale revision of the church welfare program. I have been expecting this for a while now.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

- Fundamental changes to or even the ending of the proselyting missionary program.

This my guess --Send most of the missionaries to India and Africa, and significantly reduce missions elsewhere.  Still a hold on China.

Already in the scriptures.  Nothing to add there.

del

Edited by cdowis

5 hours ago, bluebell said:

I'd be surprised if April conference had any big new things in it.  Guess we'll see.

I predict changes in the Seminary program.

That’s at least two who are predicting seminary changes.  Curious. 

Changes to seminary could put a lot of faithful members, who have dedicated their educations and careers to CES, out of work.  

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

I would love for the temples to be open on Sundays!

That would have a huge impact on the workers, their families, and wards.

15 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Changes to seminary could put a lot of faithful members, who have dedicated their educations and careers to CES, out of work.  

How many salaried seminary teachers are there? 

Cancelling the pageants will cause economic hardships in those communities.

Edited by Bernard Gui

12 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

That would have a huge impact on the workers, their families, and wards.

4 times a year might not be too much of an issue.  Especially if they just ask for volunteers among regular workers or take only ones with no kids at home. 

Edited by Calm

3 hours ago, Teancum said:

Build anitipation and then whatever they say will be greeted with glee, even if it is pablum like much of what had been announced the past year or so.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rockpond said:

That is why I said a phased ending. I figure kill homestudy and early morning and keep release time for a while in those areas where it is feasible. Perhaps use some of them to bolster the Institute program as well. Eventually phase it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdowis said:

Nope.  Add  alot of additional temple work to what has already been done. 

Nope -- see the Proclamation.

Unlikely, since they already have made some significant  changes in the program.

Hmmm.  

Hmmmmmmmmmm

This my guess --Send most of the missionaries to India and Africa, and significantly reduce missions elsewhere.  Still a hold on China.

Already in the scriptures.  Nothing to add there.

Why are we afraid of more temple work?

I did not suggest something that would change or contradict the Proclamation. Just some more information on the problem and some kind of help for those dealing with it.

We reworked Sunday School a few years ago and now are doing it again. I do not see recent changes as a barrier to more changes when it comes to seminary. Seminary is also very difficult to administer worldwide and the trend recently has been cut out those kinds of programs (pageants, Scouts).

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

That is why I said a phased ending. I figure kill homestudy and early morning and keep release time for a while in those areas where it is feasible. Perhaps use some of them to bolster the Institute program as well. Eventually phase it out.

Yeah, if you kept released time and phased it out over a lengthy period it would reduce the impact to CES employees.  But there are still some CES employees who supervise the early morning seminary and they'd be out of work.  Not sure how much institute could absorb.  I'm not saying it couldn't happen and I actually agree with your logic of this being in a similar class as pageants and scouts.

Eliminating released time right now would be a big blow to my family.  Released time seminary is currently one of the only ways my children get to meet/know the other LDS kids in their school (some odd stake boundaries have put my family in a different stake than nearly all of the kids they attend high school with).

• Like 2

I never hear any rumors except on this board.  But that said I expect more significant changes.  Pres. Nelson has a vision for how he thinks the Church should look and he realizes his age and the accompanying time limit.

He will implement whatever he can as quickly as he can.